Changing insulin

kegstore

Dislikes
Unnecessary rudeness, and any PC
I am constantly battling to get my pump to behave more like the artificial pancreas it almost is. One of the things I have lost almost completely is any awareness of hypo symptoms, which is more than just frustrating. This has presented over several years but seemed to get markedly worse when I changed to NovoRapid (and the pump, although that's one factor I'm not prepared to change).

One of the options I want to present to my healthcare team is the possibility of swapping out the NovoRapid for Apidra or Humalog, and wondered if anyone has any experience of doing the same? I already have the activity profiles for all 3, but any dosing and personal experiences would be very useful.

TIA :)

iHs

Hi

I have used all 3 fast acting bolus insulins and although medical opinion might say that they are all the same in lowering bg levels, in reality they are different. Apidra is worth trying as you won't have to use so much (depending on what you eat of course)of it due to its action coming on fairly quick and leaving about 3-4hrs later. If you can't get on with that, then try Humalog or any of the animal insulins. Just because you feel that you haven't got very good awareness with Novorapid, doesn't mean to say that you will be the same with other insulins.

I know you have a pump with cgm but are you eating 3 meals a day or eating little and often?

kegstore

Dislikes
Unnecessary rudeness, and any PC
Thanks for that Sally, Apidra is the one I'm angling to try first as I had Humalog before the pump and didn't get on with it very well, although that was before I learned about GI. Not very keen on going back to animal as the reaction delay just doesn't sit very well with a pump for me.

I tend to snack during the day - definitely not a 3 meals per day person - quite often skipping breakfast, but my main meal is always in the evening.

Did you have any joy trying out a Veo with sensors? (good memory eh? :wink:)