Chat for ASD families

Diamum5972

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Prejudiced people (my son has learning difficulties) and not being able to find a job
Sounds great, Ive just finished my.morning cuppa. Did you have a nice visit with your mum.
Yes thanks, we go up there every Sunday. My son plays PlayStation games with my brothers while me and mum chat to our hearts content :) She loves hearing about my friends on the forum, she's Type 2 as well but is blind so can't go online

4ratbags

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Its a shame your mum is unable to come on the forum but it is great you are able to visit every Sunday. Theres nothing better than sitting down relaxing and having a good natter especially knowing DS is happy as well.

Reactions: Angelofthemarches

Diamum5972

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Prejudiced people (my son has learning difficulties) and not being able to find a job
Its a shame your mum is unable to come on the forum but it is great you are able to visit every Sunday. Theres nothing better than sitting down relaxing and having a good natter especially knowing DS is happy as well.
Exactly! My brothers are both computer nerds so my son enjoys spending time with them and my younger brother likes having a break from cooking duties :) He has Aspergers like my son and as mum's carer he does all the cooking during the week. Mum has a little bit of vision so can help out a bit but the detailed work is his area. I make shortbread for the boys which is always well appreciated :)

13lizanne

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
The Gym, + unkindness and rudeness
Oh @Galja ! What a horrible experience for your son. But! How rightly proud you are of him for, not only coping, but also for thinking to let the woman's friends know too. Guess he inherited his creative thinking from his Mother

Diamum5972

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Oh @Galja, what a terrible thing to happen! No wonder you're proud of your son for handling this situation so well, he sounds like such a thoughtful young man.

Diamum5972

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
I was thinking back to when he was seven and beginning to speak. I was so grateful that there had been a breakthrough, however echolalic. To think this far to the future and to realize the extent to which he can handle independence is astounding

Deleted initial story, btw, because I think it was not mine to share
That's exactly how I feel about my son, he had echolalia as well and no matter how frustrating it was at the time at least he was communicating. Now both of us look on it as a blessing because it helped him immensely at his acting group, his ability to learn lines is legendary!

Reactions: 2 people
S

Shar67

Pokemon Go, I'm sure I'm not the only mum who had the original Pokemon fad as the ritual of choice, Jack and his girlfriend are averaging 55km a week searching for them now, suppose it is better than being stuck indoors

Diamum5972

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Pokemon Go, I'm sure I'm not the only mum who had the original Pokemon fad as the ritual of choice, Jack and his girlfriend are averaging 55km a week searching for them now, suppose it is better than being stuck indoors
Alex has downloaded it on his phone but still has some agoraphobic tendencies so he hasn't gone out playing it yet

13lizanne

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Today I want to say how grateful I am that our lovely son has FINALLY found a caring team of people to support him have a full life. We had D at home until he was 25 when my severe illness meant we had to accept that I was unable to care for him at home anymore. Now approaching 28yrs old he has a wonderful team of people from Autism Scotland helping him to live life to the full.
After many years of struggling to get him the help he needed -from nursery school refusing to take him, up until now, it's been very, very hard. So I wanted to encourage families still struggling to secure help for their children- it can and does get better. Love to all the ASD families out there

Last edited by a moderator:

4ratbags

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi everybody, just thought I would post a picture of my grand daughter on her first day of school (hopefully it works) she has been at school for 2 weeks now and I have managed to reduce the amount of time I have to spend at school with her in the morning from 3 hours down to 30 minutes so I'm getting there.
1486848276911.jpg

13lizanne

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
What a sweetie! Well done to her for starting to cope without Gran, She will go from strength to strength now. I take my hat off to you @4ratbags Much Respect

Jamesuk9

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
This is my 15 yr old son Jack. He was diagnosed as autistic 6 months ago.

The diagnosis has been a godsend. His behaviour was hard from being a toddler.

The diagnosis has given him answers and after the initial blaming and lashing out he has finally with support become much more accepting and easier to manage.

Each day a different challenge.

Wouldn't have him any other way.

4fa2f6a040fc36316dec7ac7e7efefa5.jpg

13lizanne

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
What a handsome lad, welcome to the thread @Jamesuk9 have a read back over the posts, there are quite a few families on here. I'm glad your boy has a proper diagnosis at last, it makes accessing services easier and will help Jack make his way forward positively from now on. My son is 28 now and, as you say, we wouldn't have him any other way. He trounced his dad and I at badminton tonight

Jamesuk9

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
What a handsome lad, welcome to the thread @Jamesuk9 have a read back over the posts, there are quite a few families on here. I'm glad your boy has a proper diagnosis at last, it makes accessing services easier and will help Jack make his way forward positively from now on. My son is 28 now and, as you say, we wouldn't have him any other way. He trounced his dad and I at badminton tonight
Thanks for the welcome. I have a 28yr old too who has terminal deletion chromosome 10 as well as being autistic. He was diagnosed at 12 and has the capacity of age 7.

Both of them my proudest achievements, I've been their mum and dad full time for the last 14 yrs.

This is Ashley...

f8946c6187a9da81bdb103f27b34815b.jpg

Angelofthemarches

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Horrible shoes
Hi, I have a nine year old with asd, not too severe, but classified special needs. I was diagnosed type 2 recently and have no idea how to explain it to him. My levels are high, so I have to test several times a day and he panicked when he saw the needles. I now have to leave the room to test, but he knows why and gets upset. Any ideas on how to help him would be greatly appreciated.....
Maybe start using the Abbott freestyle libre if you can afford it? This would reduce or eliminate the injections.

13lizanne

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Hi again @Jamesuk9 I missed your second post last night because I'd gone to bed, it is nice to meet Ashley too and may I say?I take my proverbial hat off to you my friend raising two boys by yourself can't be easy, I can only imagine how hard things have been for you at times. Strength and joy to you and your lovely boys from me and mine

Last edited:

igual88

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Politicians, oysters , anything with more than 4 legs
Heyas all , I'm a parent of a severly autistic 12 year old daughter ( adopted ) hence forth referred to as gremlin.
Also have a son 14 years old also adopted with high functioning aspergers hence forth referred to as the dictator!!!
We adopted gremlin officially 5 years ago but have had residence order with special guardianship since she was 2 weeks old, she was born at 27 weeks , weighed 2 lb 8 oz. Spent first year of life in and out of hospital with multiple issues, including hole in heart.
Poor mite had 5 ops in total that first year. We figured very early on that she had issues and was diagnosed@ 4 years old,.
She is in a fantastic Sen school http://mayfield-special.torbay.sch.uk.
She is verbal and functions on the level of approximately a 4 year old, she has major sleep issues, night terrors when she does sleep including sleep walking, if we're lucky she sleeps for 4 hours a night.
Gremlin has a fantastic personality, very bubbly and freindly.
Took a long time trying but now she loves shopping and having a hot chocolate in town ( hates the noise of the coffee machine though ) she has real issues with high frequency sounds.

Our lad the dictator is high functioning aspergers, he also sufferes with self esteem problems major sleep issues as well.
He's a right smatass currently in grammar school.
Predicted 8A* , he has joined the local rugby club and is really enjoying himself, they hope he might go far in rugby as he's bloody good at it.
His natural academic skill is in computer programming, he's able to code so accurate and fast it's scary, his teacher has never had a pupil like him and is trying to steer him as best as he can.
He's also scary good at maths,. I'm ok at math But GCSE level but by age 8 i could no longer understand the homework he had from school, they had to bring in teachers from secondary school for him.
His self esteem has taken a boost recently he has his first girlfreind!!!!
It's scary how fast they grow up.