JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
What like by walking to the cake shop rather than driving.

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
PenfoldAPD said:
Maybe we should call it a 'stop analysing everything I eat' day and it would be more acceptable to some? Worst part of diabetes for me is constantly thinking about what I eat ....

I have a huge desire for a Byron cheese hamburger and sweet potato fries right now, and I think I'm about to go for it Similar to @mfactor I'm good all the time so actually looking on it as a test - can I have very occasional relaxed eating days?
Maybe i should eat my 3rd old he's called Byron. A lovely cheat. lol ;) I might just do that today!

Reactions: 2 people

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
I doubt he would have that many carbs any way to be a real cheat you would have to bake him in a cake or have him on toast. ;)

D

debrasue

There is a new anecdotal theory suggesting that after prolonged periods of Low Carb ketogenic diet (beyond the normal 8 weeks recommended duration) then the bgl starts to rise again even if low carb is continued. It is said (sic) that a quick splurge of carbs will reset the system allowing a return to ketogenic mode and low bgls again. I am not sure if this is being properly studied, or if it is a flight of fantasy (get thee behind me, satan); I think LCHF may escape this limitation since we can play the HF section off against protein intake to compensate.
This is the post I mentioned @Brunneria. Do you have any more background on this please @Oldvatr?

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
This is the post I mentioned @Brunneria. Do you have any more background on this please @Oldvatr?

Ah yes, I think know to what @Oldvatr is referring, although I have never heard that ketosis is recommended for only 8 weeks. (Is that a recommendation by a particular diet, Oldvatr?)

It is called physiological insulin resistance (PIR).
And it is complicated.
My basic understanding (and you are FAR better to google it yourself) is that it is a perfectly normal reaction by the body, to a period of kerosis (= ketosis - autocorrect!). It does not happen with ordinary low carb.

If we go into kerosine (actually ketosis - thanks autocorrect!) and stay there long term, our baseline blood glucose readings rise a little cause our bodies raise our insulin resistance a little in the process.

For me, this means that when I eat carbs I get a fbg in the 5s. In PIR it is in the 6s.
And my baseline blood glucose (the lowest numbers I ever get) rise from the 4s to the 5s.

I have not yet found anyone that can prove PIR is anything other than a normal thing. There is no evidence that it is harmful (and believe me, people have tried!) or beneficial (beyond the rabid paleo low carbers who treat ketosis as some Higher State of Being), although you get the usual uber cautious comments saying 'not yet proved safe'. But then, not yet proved harmful either! Lol

Personally, I like it. Yes, my insulin resistance is fractionally increased. But it acts like a nice protective buffer zone against hypos (I am prone to hypos). It is also a lovely clear indication that I am regularly in kerosis(!!!!). Yay! And it makes me feel good. Masses of energy. Better endurance.

As Oldvatr says, it is easy to avoid. Just eat a few more carbs for a day or two. The source I read suggested 150g a day for 3-4 days. We low carbers are recommended to do this before we do an OGTT to reacclimatise ourselves to carbs so we get an accurate result in the test, so it is no biggie.

Hope that helps :)

Last edited by a moderator:

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Not to be confused with PIR though.

Preabsorbtion Insulin Response a totally different thing.:)

:D
MY brand of PIR actually means i-cannot-be-*rs*d-to-type-this-more-than-once-in-a-post (let alone spell it correctly!)

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Sorry, it was in another thread on the forum, but I did not save the article since it was not really my bag. I am not doing VLC myself,so it did not seem to be applicable to my situation. It was a recent thread this month(-ish). I see @Brunneria has replied, and I think this is the thread I remembered.

I mentioned the 8 week limit because it is the duration recommended in Atkins, ND, the 8 week diet and I believe Paleo (although I have not studied these others in much detail since I dived straight into LCHF hook line and sinker. I did read elsewhere about this limit, but the source was not one I would rely on. Personally I thinkI have found one that I can persevere with for extended length of time, and so I do not take it VLC since I am getting good results without having to be too strict on myself or my family. The only concern I have is that I may not succeed with the lipid panel since I am not really going full keto.

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
I'm thinking of having a cheat three or four weeks as if I don't survive the operation I'm having then.. All the effort on weight and BG control will have been pointless. Admittedly I'm having the less risky procedure but who knows so I may just have that blow out Indian meal I've been craving.:cool:

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I'm thinking of having a cheat three or four weeks as if I don't survive the operation I'm having then.. All the effort on weight and BG control will have been pointless. Admittedly I'm having the less risky procedure but who knows so I may just have that blow out Indian meal I've been craving.:cool:
Here's to a successful outcome for you. My son was due to start chemotherapy today, if he can find a doctor.

Have that blowout - it will divert your attention, and the results will soon merge into the noise.

D

debrasue

Hope that helps :)
Thanks, @Brunneria. That's a great, clear explanation, but it's made me realise that this subject probably falls under the umbrella of an Masters Degree in diabetes control, whereas I'm still at Year 2 multiplication level (without the cakes in the baker's shop!). :confused:

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
@Oldvatr Hope your sons chemo goes well although I know it can be unpleasant do wish him well for me. And I think I will have that meal and any way don't see me being able to maintain my diet in hospital.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

You too.
Enjoy.

D

debrasue

@Oldvatr Hope your sons chemo goes well although I know it can be unpleasant do wish him well for me. And I think I will have that meal and any way don't see me being able to maintain my diet in hospital.
Sorry to hear you have to go into hospital, @JohnEGreen, but I hope that all goes well and you make a swift recovery.

DominicLaiYew

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Too many to list
Does anyone ever have a day of pure indulgence of anything they want? I haven't yet since my diagnosis. I want to hear your thoughts and experiences and your BG afterwards!

Hi there,
Yes i do.
Once my BG readings are constant at 5-8 for 3 to 4 days i give myself a holiday with more beers & some other indulgence that i love. Then i go back to the treadmill of life! What's life if u cannot enjoy what you love??