Cheerup; it's only diabetes.

tnmorg

Dislikes
People who let diabeted rule and therefore ruin their life.
I am a relatively new diabetic. When I got the news I joined this forum and I do enjoy reading other peoples posts.

I have one observation though; quite a few correspondents seem to be allowing Diabetes to be the main focus of their lives. I have not yet read any posts explaining how becoming a diabetic has had a positive affect on anyone’s life.

For me it has been a very positive event. Before being diagnosed I was feeling progressively more and more unwell, and I was in danger of beginning to feel very sorry for myself. To be honest I was also starting to worry that there may be something seriously wrong with me.

When my condition was diagnosed my doctor asked if I would like to have some professional counseling. I was grateful but politely declined the kind offer as I had feared far more serious news. I was just pleased to learn that I was only suffering from a very controllable condition, whereas so many others receive much more devastating news. My only emotion at the time was great relief and gratitude to whoever is watching over me.

The only discussion with my Doctor was to review my current situation to see what could be worked on and improved. We considered the following; I am 67 years old, 5” 8” tall, bald, not very good looking, and four stone overweight. We decided we could do nothing about the first four points (unless I lose my feet of course, which would have an affect on my height). The weight could be addressed though so that was my focus.

I am not one for diets or fad eating. I still eat and drink absolutely anything I want and nothing is off limit for me. I just eat only half as much as I used to and I feel so much better for it. On my last visit to the Diabetes nurse I was told I could gain a little weight if I wished as I had lost five stone over the past year. Also my important indicators were perfect.

So let’s keep things in perspective. I feel better than I have for many years and I am likely to live longer because my condition is known and under control. I have a full life again and I am thinking of setting up a new website called “Diabetes, the way to a full and happy life”. Anyone want to join?

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Hi tnmorg,

That's great to hear that you have had a successful and positive first year of living with diabetes. It also sounds like you have a very supportive doctor also, which is refreshing to hear!

With respect, a lot of us on the forum don't go out of our way to sound negative, some a dealing with other health issues and personal problems. Many, including myself have had diabetes for most of out lives, and do not cope as easy as some people do, and the years have been a rollercoaster ride. Diabetes can, and does dominate lives. Please be respectful of others who do not share in your enthusiasm.

Oh yes, welcome to the forum! :)

Regards

Nigel

Ardbeg

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Self serving politicians
I hear what you say tnmorg.

I too always look for the positive side of any challenge or situation. Like you, my recent diagnosis was a relief in many ways, as it explained a lot of the symptoms I had been experiencing, which I had feared may have been something far worse.

I'd rather have T2 than a heart attack as a wake up call to alert me that from now on I need to watch my diet, cut down on the booze and start excercising again.

The ball is now firmly in my court. It's up to me to ensure that I keep my BS down to acceptable levels from now on and the chances are this diagnosis will ultimately prolong my life rather than cut it short.

Jim
(Glass half full club)

sugarless sue

Master
Dislikes
Rude people! Not being able to do the things I want to do.
Welcome to the forum , tnmorg. When you have the time to read through the forum then you will find many positive posts on how diabetes has changed members lives for the better.

This is a diabetes forum so obviously diabetes is the main topic of conversation on here. The more you read however the more you will find that members here not only control their diabetes but also lead full lives despite their diabetes.

Synonym

Dislikes
Having no energy as this is so limiting.
Welcome to the forum.

It is good to hear that you are having such a positive experience and I am sure that we all wish that it continues to be so for you.

Life is a journey and we meet many things on the way and have no idea what may be around the next corner but with such a positive attitude you will hopefully face it all with great verve and vigour.

It will be interesting to hear of your experiences and I am sure that when you need some help, as you undoubtedly will at some point, there will be many kind people on here willing to aid you.

You will probably then appreciate that not everyone is as fortunate as you seem to be at this small moment in time.

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
tnmorg said:
I am a relatively new diabetic. When I got the news I joined this forum and I do enjoy reading other peoples posts.

I have one observation though; quite a few correspondents seem to be allowing Diabetes to be the main focus of their lives. I have not yet read any posts explaining how becoming a diabetic has had a positive affect on anyone’s life.

So let’s keep things in perspective. I feel better than I have for many years and I am likely to live longer because my condition is known and under control. I have a full life again and I am thinking of setting up a new website called “Diabetes, the way to a full and happy life”. Anyone want to join?

Welcome to the Forum.
I find this quite strange.I mean this is a Forum for Diabetics, so the main thrust is obviously going to be Diabetes and all it's problems. That is usually what most people want advice for.

As for not read any posts about Diabetes and the positive effects, you obviously haven't looked around the Forum enough. There are many many posts stating the positive things that have happened to people. I personally have posted many times about the way Diabetes and in particular this forum has had a massive effect on myself. A positive effect.

As for starting your own website, your choice. We have had others who have formed other websites, some successful, some not. I am sure the present members here know that this Forum is probably the best on the net as it helps and supports all members who have been helped here to attain " a full and happy life." I wish you well.

C

catherinecherub

Hi tnmorg,
I am glad that you "feel better than you have for many years and are likely to live longer because your condition is known and under control". This is not the case for all newly diagnosed diabetics or long standing ones and shows that we are all different.

People use this diabetic forum to post about positives, there are many posts here about that. They also ask other diabetics about problems that they may be having and needing reassurance or help for. They also post about other health concerns. There is also a General Chat board with many and varied topics.

Of course the main thrust here is Diabetes, what else would you expect on a Diabetes Forum :?:

timo2

Dislikes
Glycemic excursions
You are an appalling optimist, tnmorg. :D

I agree that the war on diabetes should be fought with a smile. Or at least a grin.

Good luck with the website.

IanS

tnmorg said:

I don't think being diagnosed as a diabetic is ever likely to be a positive in anyboby's life. Certainly, I included it with the all the negative aspects of 2009 (and there were many).

But has there been a benefit? Well, yes there has. On diagnosis, I completely threw out the existing diet (along with the chip pan) and started again. The diet (based on the advice of the dietician) was subsequently revised once I joined this forum and found out how wrong the official diet was. I have now lost 2 stone in weight; I look a lot better for it and I feel a lot better for it. I can't look at my last summer holiday photos without cringeing at how overweight I was (and I was certainly aware of it). I can now expand the diet with confidence to include some semblance of the things I used to like and now miss (The BG meter is essential here).

Importantly, I can now don a pair of speedos with confidence, when I go swimming. 8) I would never have inflicted that sight on anyone 5 months ago. :shock:

IanS

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
[/quote]

I don't think being diagnosed as a diabetic is ever likely to be a positive in anyboby's life. Certainly, I included it with the all the negative aspects of 2009 (and there were many).

But has there been a benefit? Well, yes there has. On diagnosis, I completely threw out the existing diet (along with the chip pan) and started again. The diet (based on the advice of the dietician) was subsequently revised once I joined this forum and found out how wrong the official diet was. I have now lost 2 stone in weight; I look a lot better for it and I feel a lot better for it. I can't look at my last summer holiday photos without cringeing at how overweight I was (and I was certainly aware of it). I can now expand the diet with confidence to include some semblance of the things I used to like and now miss (The BG meter is essential here).

Importantly, I can now don a pair of speedos with confidence, when I go swimming. 8) I would never have inflicted that sight on anyone 5 months ago. :shock:

IanS[/quote]

We will take your word on that Ian regarding the speedos, spare us the photo mate.......its to early in the morning! :lol:

Nigel

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
tnmorg
uncontrolled diabetes is a death sentence.
IF you can control it adequately, it shouldn't harm your life. The basis of this forum is to help as many people as possible, who want to, to CONTROL diabetes.
Most of us write from personal experience. some of us boost that with our education and study.
Although it needn't rule everyone's life, diabetes can't be ignored, with out paying the price.
I personally, don't let my diabetes prevent me from doing anything I want to. I control IT, IT doesn't control me
Hana

Fujifilm

What positive affect did finding I had diabetes have on my life.

Um er, em. Well none really.

Oh yes I know, I get free prescriptions.

Jumps up and down with joy. :lol: :lol:

I know sarcasim is the lowest form of wit. :!:

I am thinking of setting up a new website called “Diabetes, the way to a full and happy life”. Anyone want to join?

No because I am setting one called, "I am diabetic and a miserable git so pass the chocolate"

leather_ferret

Dislikes
Doctors who think they know more than they do and are too arrogant to refer you on when they reach the limits of their ability.
Celebratory status, insane wages high fashion and womens make-up
(I'll get shot syaing things like that! :o))
Hi tnmorg,

I come to this thread somewhat late since when you started it, I had not even been diagnosed as diabetic, let alone found this Forum.

As for what I have read (limited as yet) here, there seems to be a far better upbeat / downbeat ratio than I would have expected.

As has been pointed out by others before, a newbie to the illness like me, is going to feel a bit mentally and physically 'knocked about' and not in the most confident mood. Lack of understanding is very frightening and it is essential for experienced members to be able to get info across clearly to guys like me and I hope they will not pull any punches in doing it. Diabetes is undeniably a deadly disease, if left untreated and unless lifestyle changes are effected, can prove fatal.

My other 'beast' is Chronic pancreatitis. During the four months of my initial illness in 2005, I lost around 9 (yes nine) stone. This has stayed off and the weight continues to fall. It is a benefit in a way since I was the size and weight of Pavarotti at the outset :shock: , but it has come at one heck of a price.

It is also only human nature that any such forum as this, or the Pancreatitis forum, will develop an un-representative (perhaps not the quite right word... ) slight degree of bias towards the negative and worried members, purely because, by its very nature, when folks do manage to get the illness under a reasonable degree of control, their need to come learn and post will have become less and some, thankfully not all, will drift away and post less.

How we feel about, and cope with illness varies hugely between different people and at different times, for any one person. Those feeling more positive at the time are likely to come across as positive in their posts. Others may be in the dark depths of depression, a place I sadly visit from time to time.

Such is life. Unless folks were to be happy for the Mods here to erase or censor out some or all downbeat posts (and I am sure that will never happen), then we all must accept that the board as it is reflects the true feelings and problems of folks posting.

I am delighted that things are going so well for you... long may it continue... but please, I hope you will appreciate that such joys cannot always be shared by all.

Be good and be lucky

Dave

John J

Hi Tmorg,

I was probably in a similar position to yourself although a few years younger AND "good looking". :lol:

Although I didn't consider my diagnosis to be a "positive", since then I've lost about 3 stone and my blood sugar levels and blood pressure have more or less returned to normal. Also, I do not require to take any medication for my diabetes...continuing to take lisiniprol for blood presure but I'm not sure if I really need it. Naturally, I feel much healthier in myself and much more optimistic about the future although...like everyone else... I know "I'm still gonna die" :wink:

However, we should both remember that not everyone here is in the same boat. In many cases, their diabetes is much more serious and accompanied by other complications and conditions. So, let's not be too smug about it...I'm not suggesting you are, of course.
Also, we have to continually be aware that this is a life long condition and there's no longer any room for complacency in our lives. We will always have to watch our diet, weight, and maintain a good exercise regime. As we grow older and/or develop additional health problems, this will not always be so easy.

Of course, I want to remain optimistic and, hopefully, I'll keep things under control... maybe even indefinitely... but if diabetes doesn't get me something else will. :x

All the best for the future....

kateincornwall

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
People who lie , animal cruelty , boredom and pineapple !
An excellent post John J , I couldnt agree more !