Chemo

dixonj

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Having undergone six months of chemotherapy for CL Leukaemia which was successful I now find that with my age and the chemo giving my pancreas a kick my type 2 diabetes has now progressed to type one. At least I am still alive.

Reactions: 3 people

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
That is bad news, but so pleased that your chemo has been successful in treating the leukaemia, best wishes.

Moniker

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Alive is good. I hope you can achieve good control.

CollieBoy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Hi carb Foods
hi @dixonj ,
You say you have progressed from type2 to type 1 ! Do you mean that you now need insulin injections or has your treatment triggered an auto-immune attack on your pancreas, destroying your islet cells. If it is the former , you may be able to (partially) reverse the effects by trying to lower your insulin resistance.
anyway, the beating the leukemia is GOOD NEWS now you can try to tackle your other probs! GOOD LUCK!!

Nuthead

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Having undergone six months of chemotherapy for CL Leukaemia which was successful I now find that with my age and the chemo giving my pancreas a kick my type 2 diabetes has now progressed to type one. At least I am still alive.
Same here I'm afraid. :( But as you say. I'm alive. It all kicked off on boxing day. Finished chemotherapy at the end of August. Now still off work recovering from the effects of chemo.golly .didn't know I could sleep so much. No energy.. diagnosed diabetic in hospital and put on insulin.

Nuthead

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
hi @dixonj ,
You say you have progressed from type2 to type 1 ! Do you mean that you now need insulin injections or has your treatment triggered an auto-immune attack on your pancreas, destroying your islet cells. If it is the former , you may be able to (partially) reverse the effects by trying to lower your insulin resistance.
anyway, the beating the leukemia is GOOD NEWS now you can try to tackle your other probs! GOOD LUCK!!
With me it was the steroids that done the dirty deed. Had to go onto insulin and still on it 9months later. I have been able to reduce to dose by around one third. It's a wait and see thing. Apparently I could be just diet controlled or have to keep on insulin.

CollieBoy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Hi carb Foods
With me it was the steroids that done the dirty deed. Had to go onto insulin and still on it 9months later. I have been able to reduce to dose by around one third. It's a wait and see thing. Apparently I could be just diet controlled or have to keep on insulin.
Thanks for this, @Nuthead just wanted @dixonj to realise that there was the possibility that at least a partial reversal of his condition was possible if it was steroid induced.

Reactions: 3 people