Chia Seeds

Fraddycat

Hi all,

My Chia seeds have just arrived from Amazon, I have never tried them before but heard everyone's comments so decided to try them but I have some questions;

People talk about white chia seeds - mine are black, does that matter? They look like poppy seeds. (wondering if I have been ripped off)
How much should I use on my yoghurt?
Can I use them in other dishes?

Thanks
Jane

Fraddycat

The black chia seeds did swell though and I feel very full, so hopefully the colour is irrelevant ... especially as I bought half a kilo which will probably last me a year!

catza

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi Fraddycat. I use both white and black chia seeds. I haven't noticed any difference in the way they work but the white ones disappear into the mixture better and this works for me when I add then to certain dishes. For example, if I am making a cheese sauce my husband finds the black specs unappertising. I use a level teaspoon of the seeds in my morning yoghurt to get the texture I like but it was trial and error when I first started using them.

Do make sure you drink plenty of fluids as I underestimated the effect having the dry seeds sprinkled on dishes and ended up feeling quite uncomfortable until I sussed out how they worked. Chia seeds are certainly worth the effort though. I find I am using them more than I expected.

xyzzy

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Undeserving authority figures of all kinds and idiots.

Sid Bonkers

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Customer helplines that use recorded menus that promise to put me through to the right person but never do - and being ill. Oh, and did I mention customer helplines :)
xyzzy said:
where you can pick up loads of stuff like Almond flour as well at really good prices.

The Almond flour looks mega expensive to me xyzzy, I'm sure I bought 500g (two 250g bags) from a local store called The Health Store for £3.00. I'd shop around if I was you.

ps there were called Organic Ground Almonds, perhaps companies quadruple the price when they call it Almond Flour, but there is no difference, Almond Flour is just ground Almonds.

You can actually make your own but dont grind them too fine as Almonds turn to mush when ground too fine.

izzzi

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I ordered my chia seeds from Amazon, and the Supplier did mention that I should state which colour of Chia seed I would prefer, however when I put the order in and forgot to make the choice.
I then sent my choice via their message system and received my choice (black).

If your are not happy I think the Supplier will bend over backwards to ensure you are satisfied.

That is why I recommend Amazon on this Forum. ( hope I am justified ).

Roy. :)

TUI

I ordered mine from Amazon today. I seem to always end up there when I'm searching for stuff like pumpkin seeds and oil which I use all the time. Comes so quick. Approx how much would you say you are using daily of the chia seed

Defren

Fraddycat said:
Hi all,

My Chia seeds have just arrived from Amazon, I have never tried them before but heard everyone's comments so decided to try them but I have some questions;

People talk about white chia seeds - mine are black, does that matter? They look like poppy seeds. (wondering if I have been ripped off)
How much should I use on my yoghurt?
Can I use them in other dishes?

Thanks
Jane

I started of with black chia when I bought my first small trial amount. I then ordered a kilo of white, and my understanding there is very little difference between the two. I take 15g a day with an added teaspoon if I feel really hungry, by the time the seeds soak up the two glasses of Perrier (my new water choice after struggling with even bottled water) I am fully satiated. I have either 5 ot 10g with Greek yogurt, berries and flax and if I had 10g with that 5g of chia later with 50g double cream which I whip and a no added sugar jelly for desert. If I had 5g of chia with the yogurt then 10g with the cream. You can add it to almost anything, stews, curry even sprinkle it on salad. The only big thing to remember is to drink lots of fluid afterwards. I love Chia seeds and am so glad I found them, brilliant little seeds packed to the rafters in nutrition.

Defren

TUI said:
I ordered mine from Amazon today. I seem to always end up there when I'm searching for stuff like pumpkin seeds and oil which I use all the time. Comes so quick. Approx how much would you say you are using daily of the chia seed

I use around 15g but I will add aprox another 5g if I get the munchies, I just eat them off a teaspoon then drink 2 large glasses of water.

Catza; like you, they can be added to all sorts and I even sneak them into family foods so everyone gets the benefit. No one has complained yet. :lol:

TUI

Thanks for the info Defren .I found some milled chia while waiting for my seeds to come and used some to make a cheese sauce for my lasagne and later some in yoghurt. My blood sugars yesterday were very good (first time in the 5's but the fasting one this morning still 6.8 (still an improvement) I lost a lb and my blood pressure 111/71 this morning (I stay around 128/80 normally) I had read it can affect blood pressure and also not to take asprin as it can thin the blood so thought I'd check. If I could get my fasting levels down I would be really happy. D

Defren

TUI said:
Thanks for the info Defren .I found some milled chia while waiting for my seeds to come and used some to make a cheese sauce for my lasagne and later some in yoghurt. My blood sugars yesterday were very good (first time in the 5's but the fasting one this morning still 6.8 (still an improvement) I lost a lb and my blood pressure 111/71 this morning (I stay around 128/80 normally) I had read it can affect blood pressure and also not to take asprin as it can thin the blood so thought I'd check. If I could get my fasting levels down I would be really happy. D

You're very welcome. I am always looking around for foodstuffs that might help us diabetics, or even foods that might help with weight loss or diabetic complications. I have read up about spinach which I love raw in salads, that is supposed to be a great help for people with macular degeneration. I have an appointment for a diabetic eye screen this week as well as a podiatry appointment, and plan to ask about spinach. I will post what the Doctor tells me.

Eva9

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
What do these little seeds do? Do they help weight loss :?: or constipation :oops:

TUI

Defren said:
TUI said:

You're very welcome. I am always looking around for foodstuffs that might help us diabetics, or even foods that might help with weight loss or diabetic complications. I have read up about spinach which I love raw in salads, that is supposed to be a great help for people with macular degeneration. I have an appointment for a diabetic eye screen this week as well as a podiatry appointment, and plan to ask about spinach. I will post what the Doctor tells me.

Yes do, I will have to read up on macular degeneration and podiatry as all new to me. I don't like spinach cooked but like baby spinach leaves in salads. Sugar levels down to 6.2 ( a new record) had tsp of chia seeds in yoghurt at breakfast then a large spoon of yoghurt with tsp chia seeds at 9.30. Will try that again tonight and see if it works again.

Defren

Eva9 said:
What do these little seeds do? Do they help weight loss :?: or constipation :oops:

A mixture of things it seems Eva. Firstly they are packed with nutrients, secondly they absorb a lot of water so help cut down the amount of food you need to fill you up so could help in weight loss, they are also reported to help lower BG and the anecdotal evidence from myself and others who have tried them seems to bear this out. I started taking them purely for nutrition, but the other benefits are a brilliant added bonus. IN the evening if I get hungry, I just have a teaspoon of chia and two glasses of water or two cups of green tea and I am full. You can replace chia in recipe's that call for an egg, or you can add it to all kinds of other foods. The seeds have no taste so are easy to add to meals or like I do, eat from a teaspoon.

TUI said:
Yes do, I will have to read up on macular degeneration and podiatry as all new to me. I don't like spinach cooked but like baby spinach leaves in salads. Sugar levels down to 6.2 ( a new record) had tsp of chia seeds in yoghurt at breakfast then a large spoon of yoghurt with tsp chia seeds at 9.30. Will try that again tonight and see if it works again.

I go tomorrow so will post when I get back. Well done on the new record, it makes you feel so good when you hit a new low doesn't it? Keep up the brilliant work, it's paying dividends now. :D

Fraddycat

Hi everyone, thanks for your comments, I'm just back from my hols (great tan!) and will be trying to improve my diet with these little seeds in the coming weeks. I also have some flax seeds and cinnamon capsules, I'm intrigued to see what happens.

TUI

Defren said:
Eva9 said:

A mixture of things it seems Eva. Firstly they are packed with nutrients, secondly they absorb a lot of water so help cut down the amount of food you need to fill you up so could help in weight loss, they are also reported to help lower BG and the anecdotal evidence from myself and others who have tried them seems to bear this out. I started taking them purely for nutrition, but the other benefits are a brilliant added bonus. IN the evening if I get hungry, I just have a teaspoon of chia and two glasses of water or two cups of green tea and I am full. You can replace chia in recipe's that call for an egg, or you can add it to all kinds of other foods. The seeds have no taste so are easy to add to meals or like I do, eat from a teaspoon.

TUI said:

I go tomorrow so will post when I get back. Well done on the new record, it makes you feel so good when you hit a new low doesn't it? Keep up the brilliant work, it's paying dividends now. :D

What happened at your appointments

Defren

Hi TUI,

I did put my results on another thread - sorry, I forgot this one :oops:

Both retinopathy and neuropathy tests came back as no signs of any problems at all. My retinopathy pictures were amazing, and I could see for myself there was absolutely nothing there at all. It was a huge relief, as was remembering my WAG sunglasses :lol:

TUI

Defren said:
Hi TUI,

I did put my results on another thread - sorry, I forgot this one :oops:

Both retinopathy and neuropathy tests came back as no signs of any problems at all. My retinopathy pictures were amazing, and I could see for myself there was absolutely nothing there at all. It was a huge relief, as was remembering my WAG sunglasses :lol:

Its got to be one of the worst worries so great news isn't it.

xyzzy

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Undeserving authority figures of all kinds and idiots.
Bit of a weird one this. We recently did a slow cooker meal effectively a load of mince, veg and chia seeds that we calculated would end up around 12g of carbs per portion. MW cooked it as she had to go out and we had my three sons arriving for dinner so it was a nice easy thing to prepare. Anyway the effect on mine and my T1 sons BG's was dramatic. For that amount of carbs I was expecting a reading of less than 5.5 after two hours but was in the high 7's. I was still high 7's 4 hours later. My T1 son ended up injecting an extra 40 units of insulin to cover. I haven't yet confirmed it but suspect cooking the hell out of chia seeds in a slow cooker for hours does something!