chicken pox

bedshaped2000

my daughter has just brought chicken pox home from school and i wanted to know is this dangerous to diabetics as it is to people with asthma. one of our friends down the road said they read something about it be harmful to diabetics but i havent found any litrature. Does this mean i can go on holiday for 2 weeks 8)

Hobs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Dislikes
Argumenative barstifferous (new word *lol*) types who think that they know everything *wink*
Hmmm ... just remember that diabetics usually take longer to heal or get over a virus/bug and some will already have a compromised immune system as will some asthmatics.

HLW

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
It's quite unpleasant (rather than dangerous) for any adult, so if you've never had it before I'd make yourself scarce if possible, though that might be difficult as it's your daughter who has it!

viv1969

Sadly, there's no point in vacating the premises now, as you've been exposed to the contageous period for a good 5 days now :-(

Once you've had Chicken pox, you cannot contract it again, however the varicella-zoster virus does lie dormant in your system for the rest of your life and can return at a future date as Shingles. I've had both, and Chicken Pox was a walk in the park compared to shingles.

Getting Chicken pox for the first time as an adult does make for a nastier time of it, but complications are pretty rare, even for those with an underlying medical condition.

Personal question (sorry), but if there's any chance you might be pregnant you might want to see your GP as CP is one of those things to be avoided like the plague during PG.

Hope your daughter has a fairly easy time of it, and that her 'itchies' don't drive her (or you!) round the bend too much!

Jen&Khaleb

Dislikes
Not having enough time. Broken sleep.
My mum was hospitalised with chicken pox at age 16 because she was so sick. I remember getting them when I was about 7 but didn't have a serious case at all. I had my older son vaccinated early when it was not a part of the schedule but Khaleb has been vaccinated as is routine for this country. The majority of children are now vaccinated here through schools if they have not been done beforehand.

Hope your daughter recovers quickly.

fankieboy

Had chickenpox as a child & also as an adult in my twenties. At the time the Doctor advised me you can have chicken pox many times. Have got fingers crossed as my grand daughter has just been infected & I am now 68!

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
fankieboy said:
Had chickenpox as a child & also as an adult in my twenties. At the time the Doctor advised me you can have chicken pox many times. Have got fingers crossed as my grand daughter has just been infected & I am now 68!

Interesting that......what the Dr said (many times) doesn't appear to be strictly correct if you read through the below link from the NHS, although I have heard of people like yourself who have had it more than once. I fortunately have only had it the once........ :)

http://www.nhs.uk/Conditions/Chickenpox ... ction.aspx

There are several theories that could explain how someone might get chickenpox more than once. Some examples are explained below.

• Many medical professionals believe that the person’s condition was misdiagnosed first time around, and that they had another condition with similar symptoms.

• There may be a genetic link. In the US studies mentioned above, around half of the people who reported having chickenpox before said that other members of their family had also had chickenpox more than once.

• There may be more than one strain of the chickenpox virus. If this is the case, it may be possible for someone to be infected by a different strain each time. However, there is no scientific evidence to support this theory.

nannyani1

Hi, im 45 and type 1 i have just found out that my granson has chicken pox and we had him on friday. The thing is i have never had them, even when my kids all had them at the same time. Do u think i should call my GP about getting vaccinated? Just in case? Its gunna drive me nuts not seeing my little angel for a week :'( xx