Chocolate

Sarah69

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Anything healthy!
I am very addicted to chocolate can any1 hepl me cure this addiction as its not good 4 my diabetes! Thanx

Synonym

Dislikes
Having no energy as this is so limiting.
What chocolate are you eating :?:
Dark high percentage cocoa solids is the best sort to eat as you really cannot eat much at a time but if it doesn't work for you to eat any at all without then binging on it then you must cut it out completely. End. :(

Sarah69

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Anything healthy!
I eat milk chocolate, i dont like dark chocolate. Im not able to cut it out of my diet ive tried that and i spend most of my day thinking about it then ill have to go and buy some. Ive kept small packets of snack bars in case of a hypo but ive eaten them in 1 day. I have a very sweet tooth!

Synonym

Dislikes
Synonym said:
......then you must cut it out completely. End. :(

You will be able to deal with this when it is important enough to really want to - don't leave it too long! :evil:

Sarah69

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Anything healthy!
Thanx!! Does any1 else have this issue. I have been a diabetic for roughly 7/8 years never ever watching wat i eat, eating big packs of chocolate day. I have seen a dietician before who suggested eating smaller amounts but this doesnt work. Im not doing it for a so called 'sugar rush' i just love chocolate. I dont have a great diet anyway dont eat much veg and hardly ever any fruit cos im not that keen on it. Anymore suggestions?

theblokefromstoke

Dislikes
Pizza (makes my BG go through the roof), Pasta & potatoes.
Hi Sarah,

I am quite partial to the odd bit of chocolate myself. I have found that now i've got my BG under control and dropped some weight, i can pretty much eat most things in moderation without adverse affect.

I could not eat a full bar of chocolate any more than a full bowl of pasta or a full bag of chips, but i can have a bit from time to time.

I'm sure a couple of squares from a bar of chocolate will be ok now and then if tempered with an otherwise healthy and balanced diet.

I have lost 4 stone since xmas and the feeling of buying clothes that I actually like rather than getting excited when something actually fits is great. I have a weekly weigh in and set myself little treats for sticking to my target weight such as going somewhere nice or a small present rather than going for a meal like I used to.

I know it's difficult - no one loves food more than me. Have you tried doing a low carb diet? That's what did it for me, there is a great section on this forum. I have been overweight for the best part of 40 years and it's the only diet that has ever worked for me - and without really struggling or dieting in the traditional sense. The thing is that you can eat plenty of meats and the likes, just cut out the potatoes, bread, pasta and such, your BG results will be fantastic too.

Good luck with it all

Carl

foxglove

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Spiders - especially the big black ones!
Hallo Sarah. Yes I am well aware of the addiction to chocolate - especially milk choc. and have eaten quite a lot in one day more than once! The idea of having a bar and eating a PIECE everyday is an absolute NO-NO. Once a packet is open it's gone in one fell swoop. :lol:
What Synonym says is perfectly true. The day I received the report that my eyesight was deteriating hit me with a smack, or should I say a wollap. :(
I buckled down to gaining a much better food regime and found immersing myself in that field was a distraction from the choc.
I confess that on my shopping days, which is usually about every 10 days or so.(shop online these days being disabled) I do end up buying a treat - 1box of Tescos chocolate marshmallow teacakes(6) which I eat on my journey home. Yumyum. :D
(I found the Collins Gem Carb Count book a great help. Not only is it pocket sized, cost only a few pence and also gives counts for Calories, Fat, Protein and Fibre) :!:

Ardbeg

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Self serving politicians
Sarah69 said:
Thanx!! Does any1 else have this issue. I have been a diabetic for roughly 7/8 years never ever watching wat i eat, eating big packs of chocolate day. I have seen a dietician before who suggested eating smaller amounts but this doesnt work. Im not doing it for a so called 'sugar rush' i just love chocolate. I dont have a great diet anyway dont eat much veg and hardly ever any fruit cos im not that keen on it. Anymore suggestions?

Hi Sarah,

I too am a self confessed chocaholic and had been "clean" until very recently, when I've had a couple of relapses. I've posted on this topic on a similar thread recently and been lightly "flamed" for my forthright viewpoint, BUT, I believe that people like you and I need to abstain completely. An alcoholic cannot have the occassional "drink now and then" and similarly someone like me cannot have the odd square of chocolate............it's the whole bar or possibly TWO whole family sized bars. Yesterday I succumbed to the temptation and ate 2 packets of Rolo. :oops:

I've had a quick look through your previous posts and see that you are on meds and insulin. I don't know how old you are, but that aside, you MUST start taking your health seriously.

As a result of research (a great deal of it on this forum) since my diagnosis at the beginning of the year, I've switched to a low carb eating regime (I hate the word diet) and have lost over 2 stone. I've purposely gone out and bought new clothes so I don't put the weight back on again and I'd still like to lose at lease another stone, which is proving more difficult than the initial weight loss.

To curb my appetite and sweet tooth, I've been taking ACAI Berry supplemets (2 per day) which can be bought on ebay very easily and quite cheaply (about £7 or £8 pm). I've also recently discovered creme fraiche, which I now eat as the occassional treat to stave of any "sweet" cravings I have, or indeed eat it when my family or dinner guests are eating dessert; as I did yesterday at our BBQ 8)

It may not be too healthy, but I also drink quite a lot of Pepsi Max in this hot weather, which again satisfies my sweet tooth as well as quenches my thirst.

As with most things in life Sarah, this boils down to the Pain/Pleasure Principle. Whilst eating chocolate for you is a pleasure you will continue to do so. It's not until it becomes too painful for you that you will finally come to your senses and stop. That wake up call could come in many forms; for example, you might look at your body in the mirror one day and hate what you see and resolve to fix it, or your health might continue to deteriorate to such an extent that the "pain" of eating chocolate finally becomes greater than the perceived "pleasure" you experience when you eat it.

It's a tough one and I empathise and sympathise with you completely; but I think we both know that only you can "grasp the nettle" and deal with it.

Go for it girl, you CAN do it......... :)

Sharlieboo

Hi

I used to be a real chocoholic. I could quite happily eat chocolate for breakfast and when my kids were both under 3 I pretty much lived by snacking on chocolate - they always ate healthy food but mine always went cold as I attended to them and then I would snack on a bar of chocolate.

I was diagnosed with Type 2 last Dec. Someone suggested I switch to dark chocolate with chilli (I think it's by Lindt) and I although I was really sceptical I have found that I can eat just one square at a time and not every day. Sometimes I go whole weeks without any. I have fallen off the wagon a couple of times since Dec, perhaps 2 or 3 times - (I ate 4 Wispa bars in one day last weekend because I felt so miserable and depressed I had a 'I don't care anymore' day - hubby had bought a multi-pack for the kids but I spotted it) but generally speaking I've managed far better at giving up the chocolate than I ever imagined I would. I'm an all or nothng kind of person when it comes to chocolate but the dark choc with chilli just works for me for some reason. Perhaps try it and see if it works for you too?

PickledPepper

Thought I'd share this. Have only tried it once. I did it because of the horrid taste of 80% cocoa choc bars....

Firstly I gently dry roasted some raw almonds in a frying pan (remembering to frequently shake them about for even roasting), and when they had darkened I removed them and let them cool off. After they had, I used a kitchen knife to chop them up into tiny pieces.

I then melted a 80% cocoa choc bar from Sainsburys in metal mixing bowl placed on top of a gently boiling pan. I added a dollop of double cream into this and mixed so the choc and cream were uniformly mixed. When this was so I threw in the almond pieces and stirred with my spatula.

I then poured the mixture on some greaseproof paper placed on a metal tray, smoothing the choc mix flat with a clean spatula. Finally I sprinkle a tiny bit of low GI fructose on the rapidly cooling choc. After it had cooled down to room temp I stuck the tray in the fridge (NOT freezer).

Taraah! Eatable chocolate!!

On reflection I should have bought a milk chocolate bar.....

sue32

Dislikes
false people
I'm a choc lover too :D Have you tried Sainsburys own label no added sugar chocolate? I lurve it. It can have laxative effects so it's best not to each too much in one go, but I make my own choc oaty cakes. Melt some chocolate with a little butter or whatever you prefer, add porridge oats and some fruit. I use frozen fruit that I have defrosted. I also add a little artificial sweetener to the fruit. Put it all in a tin and leave in the fridge to set. AB FAB or what????? :p :p :p

Synonym

Dislikes
Sarah69 said:
I am very addicted to chocolate can any1 hepl me cure this addiction as its not good 4 my diabetes! Thanx

The OP is asking for help with an addiction! :shock: She is not looking for encouragement to eat chocolate! :evil: :shock: She is looking for help to cure the addiction! :roll:

PickledPepper

You are right Synonym.....

:oops:

My best advice is just don't buy ANY of the stuff that tempts you. It is only when you have it laying around the house that you go for it.

So what you have to do is exercise conscious restraint whenever you are shopping. Fight the urge to buy whatever tempts you.

From my experience, you soon become accustomed to not having 'it' around and going without thereafter. This may be after a brief period of 'cold turkey' though.

Observe yourself and heighten your consciousness about your own impulse buying and bang it on the head.

Ardbeg

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Self serving politicians
I've also found the following 2 things have helped me enermously is dampening my sweet tooth cravings:

1. Acai Berry supplements - can be purchased easily on ebay from reputable UK suppliers

2. Creme Fraiche - I use it/eat it now as a dessert or simply have a spoonfull or two from time to time, if I feel the need/urge to have something sweet.

I hope this helps.

thegnomeking

Hi Sarah,

this is the first time I have posted anything on the forum but after reading your post felt I really wanted to... I feel very much like you, I LOVE chocolate and would eat it for every meal if it was found to actually be good for you! I am type 1 on insulin and have been for the last 9 years (I'm 29).

I have tried to limit myself with chocolate but if its in the house then I'm afraid its gone I just can't resist :( the only way I can avoid it is not to buy it. I have 4 young children and if I every buy a treat for them have to give it to them straight away or again my inability to have any self control will take over and I'll eat it...

As for buying it at the shops the best thing I have found is when shopping I treat myself to something else nice thats not so bad for me, some sugar free mints, fresh strawberries, or something else tasty that I like, then I don't feel like I'm missing out on having something 'nice'. :D

Good luck with the chocoholism, I really do feel your pain!
Emma xxx

Jim H

I would try to avoid no-sugar or diabetic chocolate. these have sugars with names ending in ols (sorbitol, lacticol etc). If you have too much of these, it will make you loose weight...........on the toilet!! :shock: They are a known laxative. I've tried a small bar of Boots Diabetic chocholate and it had an effect on my bowels a few hours later.

if you want chocolate, is the high coco content stuff (70% stuff from Lindt) better than normal milk chocolate (eg Dairy Milk)?

Synonym

Dislikes
Jim H said:
if you want chocolate, is the high coco content stuff (70% stuff from Lindt) better than normal milk chocolate (eg Dairy Milk)?

Hi Jim :)

The higher cocoa content the better and just 1-2 small squares at the most, making it laaaast :!:

If you do not have iron control or you are addicted as the OP says she is then it is better to avoid it altogether. :shock: :evil: :roll: :(

Isis2

Hi I am new here, I did post something in reply to this thread but it seems to have got lost apologies if I repeat myself. :D

I use diabetic chocolate as I am a chocoholic myself I absolutely adore the stuff, so this way it enables me to have my chocolate fix but still keep sugar level down, at the mo I have a reading or 4.6 over the last six months 8) As I told my dibetic nurse, if I was to buy a bar of chocolate it would be a large family bar and I would eat the lot this way I can still have my chocolate fix, when I want it, but know that I can only each 3 pieces, anymore than that and I am glued to the loo :lol: I must be honest over the last 3 years, since I have been told I have diabetes my need for chocolate is deffo going down.

Good luck

Synonym

Dislikes
Glued to the loo by diabetic chocolate?! :shock: I suppose that is one way of dealing with it! :lol: :roll: :lol:

Muppet

Dislikes
salad, sprouts, sweetcorn
I too am a dreadful chocoholic :oops: ......... since being diagnosed I have tried having chocolate and sweets in the house and I cant help myself, I just eat them :(

So, no shopping when you are hungry or craving chocolate :idea:
The other day when I couldn't fight the cravings I went to my local shop with £5, bought 2 bags of crisps, choc and sweets............ guess what , I ate the lot after telling myself I would save some of it for the next day :evil:
So now if i want chocolate I only take 20p to the shop and buy myself a finger of fudge............... I know I am treating myself like a child but eating huge amounts of sugar and rubbish is putting my health a serious risk, so needs must :!:
Sugar withdrawals aren't nice and I shook quite badly for a couple of days but your health has to come first.
I found strawberry's with milled black pepper on make them really sweet :mrgreen: :lol: ......... sounds mad but delicious, try it........... then blindfold a friend and make them taste the difference. Pepsi max also satisfies my desire for something sweet.

Good luck and hang in there, and whenever you want to ram a family sized bar of galaxy down your throat ask yourself if it is really worth your sight or feet ??? The thought of my sight deteriorating to the point I lose my driving licence is enough to stop me in my tracks :shock:

Mand