Chocolate

PickledPepper

If one must indulge (occasionally), I found Sainsburys Taste the difference Extra dark, bittersweet chocolate bars. They are 85% cocoa.

They are handy in that the pack itself contains 5 individually wrapped 25g bars whose nutritional values are as follows:

Protein: 2.2g

Carbs: 4.8g
Of which sugar: 3.6g
Starch: 1.2g

Fat: 12.9g
Of which saturates: 7.9g
Monounsaturates: 4.4g
Polyunsaturates: 0.3g
Fibre: 3.1g
Sodium: Trace

They are very fatty, so....

I guess as an occasional treat they would be okay, but probably better to lay off if you are seriously addicted.

PS - before I would never even look in the direction of dark choc but right now I am eternally grateful for them. A weekend, late night treat or something for when we get hypo.

tigerlily9813

Type of diabetes
Type 2
go to sainsburys and you can get in the bars of choc sectin no added sugar choc. you cant eat much as it will cause a laxative effect but you can get the buz on 2 of 3 squares

Eurydice333

Dislikes
my complete lack of motivation about anything.
Hi Sarah,

I'm not a chocaholic but if there's any food that i know tastes yummy and it's in front of me, I will definitely eat it. I'm a real sucker for home baked treats like cupcakes. I think everyone's advice on here is great, this is what i find usually works for me:

-don't buy sweet foods/chocolate when you go shopping. If you don't buy chocolate but buy other sweet things either as you'll probably start reaching for them. If you can't do that then shop online as you won't see the food in front of you or ask someone else to do the shopping.
-If there's other people in your home that like it well the sugar cut will be good for anyone or tell them to purchase it themselves. Eg. if you have kids and they really want a treat give them a wee bit of pocket money to buy a chocolate bar (like an incentive). If they're having sugary foods outside the house anyway at least they're not having it at home too. And of course, don't shop when you're hungry or craving.

some ideas to curb your chocolate/sweet cravings:
-sugar free jelly, add mixed fruit if you like
-greek/natural yoghurt with meusli or fruit
-popcorn, and if you like, melt a small amount of milk chocolate and drizzle it over the popcorn on a baking tray, a little goes a long way
-a nice big mug of hot chocolate using a light variety
-make your own pancakes/crepes with no sugar, then add some lemon juice or fruit or dust with cocoa powder
-a smoothie with fresh fruit and ice
-drink a bit of water before you eat anything (with lemon or lime or squash to taste if you like). A lot of my hunger is water hunger.

Some of these treats can be fatty too so all in moderation of course. I particularly like baking things because it takes a good hour or so to make something which by that time my cravings are a bit less and i'll halve or even quarter the recipe. Sometimes when i really fancy treat and i have nothing in the flat and all the shops are closed i just have to deal with it and it's not so bad after all.

Good luck sarah ^_^ (it took me ages to pull myself together and i still have my weak moments but luckily my hba1c was 4.8 last month so it really does pay off to make the smallest of changes)

pollyr

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
political correctness in any form
Sarah69 said:
Thanx!! Does any1 else have this issue. I have been a diabetic for roughly 7/8 years never ever watching wat i eat, eating big packs of chocolate day. I have seen a dietician before who suggested eating smaller amounts but this doesnt work. Im not doing it for a so called 'sugar rush' i just love chocolate. I dont have a great diet anyway dont eat much veg and hardly ever any fruit cos im not that keen on it. Anymore suggestions?

Hi Sarah
I do really sympathise with you and love chocolate too, so mood enhancing, however not good and I have cut down my choc treats after being very ill for 18months and now on insulin. Could it be that as you say your diet is not great, you perhaps could try to improve it by introducing other foods which would fill you up and help you stay fuller for longer rather than the empty calories your choc gives you. I know you dont want the fruit and veg but it is defo better for your health. You dont say if you are able to exercise but if you are then would it help take your mind of the choc. I am house trained now to have only about 2 pieces of very dark chocolate a few evenings each week and this doesnt seem to 'up' my levels but it has taken lots of self discipline to reach this stage. Some lovely low sugar recipes on this post and I will be trying them.
Good luck with your problem and hope the thought of a better healthier life will get you through this.

take care
Polly