Cholesterol pills with Diabetes

neilavrian

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
Diet only
Hey guys, just like to ask a quick question about one medication. I have my uncle living with me for couple of months now and he has Diabetes and I am unclear on what his exact condition is when it comes to it. However his Cholesterol levels are not good either according to what he says, He is using some medication called Elvas, which I think he bought over the counter along with all his Diabetes medications.

My question is, is this safe and should he be rather taking something that was prescribed by the doctor?

I am just a bit curious and worried at the same time since he lives with me and use all these medication day in day out., please help

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Are you in the UK? You can't buy diabetic medication over the counter. It is prescription only. I just googled Elvas and it seems to be a brand name of a prescription statin otherwise called Atorvastatin.

neilavrian

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
Diet only
We live in new York, I couldn't find much information about the drug either except for the review. However I will be talking to his Doctor tomorrow to clarify his condition and medication intake

Reactions: 2 people

Aguila

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Wind & rain
I'm Diabetic and am prescribed Atorvastatin for high cholesterol.

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I should stop worrying about it. Many people are taking them. This does not mean that they are trouble free. There is an ongoing debate about that in this part of the world. If your Uncle develops myopathy or some other problem he should think it out again but until then if he thinks the pills are helping then go with it.

Inappropriate comment removed by Moderator.

Last edited by a moderator: