Chromium Picolinate

Defren

Has anyone tried Chromium Picolinate and if so, what kind of results have you had?

I read this, and it's piqued my interest.

To give you an overview of why I say this, most of the studies involving supplemental chromium for type II diabetes have shown positive results of one type or another. However, when chromium picolinate, which is the most bioavailable form, has been used, all of the studies have yielded positive results (in blood sugar, blood insulin and/or blood lipid [cholesterol and triglyceride] readings).

I am not just going to read this and rush out and buy some, but I can remember vaguely SP being mentioned here with good results. I must admit, once my interest is piqued I have to know more, so between people here who have take SP and Google, I hope to be able to make an informed decision.

[edit to add] Link to quote: http://www.diabetesincontrol.com/component/content/article/64-feature-writer-article/746&Itemid=8

Fraddycat

Hi Jo, I regularly have a skinny protein shake for breakfast which has chromium Picolinate added. Because I have it so frequently and along with all the other changes I have made in the last few weeks I don't think I can give you quantifiable benefits. I have my first HBA1c since starting to low carb on Monday, so I will let you know the results - but over the same period I have started taking cinnamon and gymnema so its difficult to tell what particular elements are making a difference. Jane

librarising

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Dr Atkins was a big prescriber of chromium picolinate for his patients. He advised 200-600 mcg for insulin resistance, and 600-1,000 mcg for "full-blown diabetes.

He found it "beneficial and thoroughly safe", and "more effective than other forms of the mineral."
He also saw it as useful for treating obesity,heart disease, high blood pressure, and "other ailments."
(Dr Atkins Vita-Nutrient Solution 1998)
Geoff

Eva9

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
One of my consultants said years ago it couldn't do any harm (I'm type 1) so I decided to try it and yes it did improve my bloods sugars for a while but as with my sugars they can be good for a while and then just change back to highs again. Holland & Barrent regularly do the buy 1 get one free. I still have a bottle tucked away maybe I should get them out and try them again? although I'm trying to eat less carbs this week after reading all these posts to help loose weight. Excellent readings yesterday (for me all 7's ) today all 15 even with regular corrections. Chromium is also supposed to curb sweet cravings.

Wait till u see more positive answers before u buy.

xyzzy

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Undeserving authority figures of all kinds and idiots.
I took it for months Jo but it's one of the ones that I've recently dropped as it did very little for my levels that I could detect. Certainly wasn't anything like as effective as the Gymnema, Bitter Melon or Banaba that worked really well in the early months after diagnosis. I've stopped all of them now too as my weight loss has decreased my insulin resistance to a point where I don't need their help anymore. Nowadays I'm just down to my Metformin, some Phytosterols instead of statins a high strength Vit B12 and a 50+ multi vitamin so quite a reduction from the list I use to take :lol:

annew

I decided to try chromium picolinate after doing a bit of research on supplements and read this
http://www.naturalnews.com/025006_chromium_supplement_sugar.html
I'm newly diagnosed, end of August, and immediately went on to LCHF regime after phone call giving me appt with DN 2 days later. Have completely cut out bread potatoes rice cereals pasta pastry etc. My in laws are both diabetic and follow the conventional NHS guidelines and it is dreadful to watch their decline particularly MIL who is on insulin and currently has had recurring diabetic abcess in her foot since last January. She has never been properly controlled. Don't want to end up same way!!!! I was aware of low carb approach having heard about it on the radio.
My BG readings were within acceptable levels within a week (At diagnosis HbA1c 111 ?whatever units, fasting blood 8, original blood test just after breakfast 18.) but varied a lot.
Since taking the chromium my levels have stabilised, now usually 5s or low 6s. Also do not seem to have the same problem with fasting BG as I did initially. Maybe that would have happened anyway, i don't know. The pills are currently on 1/2 price offer at Holland and Barratt, (ends soon). I take 1200 mg per day, 2x3 tablets, I just find it easier to take 2 at a time. I am not on any diabetic medication, refused metformin, and in the last month have stopped Atenolol and bendroflumethiazide - but that's another story, should never have been prescribed them for all those years...
Sorry to have carried on a bit, but in conclusion i reckon the chromium is well worth a try.
Anne

Defren

xyzzy said:
I took it for months Jo but it's one of the ones that I've recently dropped as it did very little for my levels that I could detect. Certainly wasn't anything like as effective as the Gymnema, Bitter Melon or Banaba that worked really well in the early months after diagnosis. I've stopped all of them now too as my weight loss has decreased my insulin resistance to a point where I don't need their help anymore. Nowadays I'm just down to my Metformin, some Phytosterols instead of statins a high strength Vit B12 and a 50+ multi vitamin so quite a reduction from the list I use to take :lol:

Good grief Steve, your not wrong, I took enough to rattle and you called me a lightweight. :lol:

I must admit my shelf is much,much smaller these days, I take organic selenium, vit B complex with added Vit B12, Gymnema, a multi vit & mineral, Vit D spray and an osteo care mix (calcium, magnesium, Vit D3, zinc, copper, manganese and boron). During the winter months I also take Echinacea.

Thanks for the personal accounts with CP I may give it a try as I have also read that it's pretty safe. Been researching lying on the sofa on my phone, how the darn thing didn't go out the window I'll never know. :lol: