1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2017 »
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Chronic Kidney Disease - My Good News

Discussion in 'Other Health Conditions and Diabetes' started by SJC, Jun 25, 2014.

1. SJC

SJC Prediabetes · Well-Known Member

Well! I couldn't find the thread where I was talking to someone about CKD when I was concerned about the LCHF diet and the effect that might have on my one remaining kidney.

Since I changed my diet, my kidney function (GFR) went up from 54 to 57. I had some more blood test results yesterday and it has now gone up to 63! Above 60 is deemed to be grade 2 kidney disease so I have now moved away from grade 3. This is wonderful news for me and proof that my diet is doing something miraculous to my kidney function. :)

• Like Like x 20
  2. RosieLKH

RosieLKH Type 2 · Well-Known Member

That's great news for you. Out of interest, how low carb is your diet?

• Like Like x 2
  3. SJC

Thanks. It varies from day to day but never more than 80gms.

4. hanadr

hanadr · Expert

My T1 husband has chronic Kidney disease and had begun on the road to dialysis. I did my homework and read of the benefits of a low protein diet [we're already low carb] and reduced our proteins. He's offthe dialysis track[review in 12 months time], kidney function up to where it was 3 years ago [sorry I don't remember the numbers]
    Hana
    PS we eat TONS of Veggies

• Like Like x 4
  5. SJC

That's great! I have been eating a low protein diet since I was diagnosed with grade 3 and it did go up from 46 - 54 in eighteen months. I thought I would be stuck there. The only difference in my diet now really is far less carbs and some saturated fat almost every day. I had been on low fat products for all of those 18 months. I have always eaten quite a lot of veg but even more so now.

Did you know that red bell peppers are very good for kidney function. I get through at least 2 every week. Black/red grapes are too but I can't tolerate those too well sugar wise.

• Like Like x 2
  6. zand

zand Type 2 · Expert

I am so pleased for you. I am one of the ones who said that my own kidney function had improved with LCHF, but I hesitated on actually advising that you to do it yourself because of your CKD, and my knowledge didn't stretch that far. But 63% is brilliant. I am thrilled. I was stage 2 at one point and my last GFR test showed a function of >90. Thanks for sharing you have made my day.

• Like Like x 4
  7. SJC

Thanks so much Zand. Sorry I had forgotten who was in that original conversation. >90 is brilliant news for you too. It takes a little pressure off when you know that what you are doing isn't doing your kidney function any harm and in fact is doing it good. That was 75% of my worry when I was told I was prediabetic. I knew diabetes wasn't happening NOW but I did know my kidney disease was and had visions of it going further in decline if I couldn't get to grips with prediabetes. It's given me some hope. :)

I didn't get the BG result but she said it was normal too!! I will ask my doc for the figure the next time I go to surgery.

8. Opalshards

Opalshards Type 2 · Well-Known Member

:) Great news.

• Like Like x 2
  9. SJC

Thanks very much :)

10. AndBreathe

AndBreathe I reversed my Type 2 · Moderator
    Staff Member

That all sounds incredibly positive SLC. It shows your hard work and angst has paid dividends. Well done.

• Like Like x 2
  11. noblehead

noblehead Type 1 · Guru
    Retired Moderator

That is good news.

• Like Like x 2
  12. jack412

jack412 Type 2 · Expert

as you know, 63 is quite functional and has to have made your day:cool:

• Like Like x 2
  13. Indy51

Indy51 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Excellent new and hopefully your fears about the dangers of LCHF have now been put to rest. Must be a huge relief to have achieved such a great improvement.

• Like Like x 2
  14. Bluetit1802

Bluetit1802 Type 2 · Oracle

Wonderful news for you. I'm so pleased.

I had my results today. I don't have kidney disease, all functions normal. However, 2 months ago my eGFR was 68. Today it has gone up to 79. I have also been lowish carbing on about 70g a day with increased fats but not overdoing the fats.

• Like Like x 2
  15. Indy51

Indy51 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Interesting - I've never taken much notice of mine since it's always been above 59, but after reading this I did a check. When diagnosed mine was 60, then again 60 at my yearly review in 2013 - but this year it's gone up to 90! So I'm well chuffed now.

• Like Like x 5
  16. Robinredbreast

Robinredbreast Type 1 · Oracle

That's wonderful news and I'm so happy for you, you're obviously doing the right things :)

• Like Like x 2
  17. Lilliepop

Lilliepop · Well-Known Member

Hi that is great news. I understand so well how it has made you happy. I had kidney failure was on dialysis for a year and was so lucky to have a kidney transplant nine years ago. I'm still at stage three but think I always will be. I was very worried about going on a low carb diet but my blood test are fine. But now I can see how well your doing it's made me feel even better. Very pleased for you.

• Like Like x 4
  18. SJC

Wow! That's a huge leap. So pleased for you and it makes me even more hopeful :)

19. SJC

Thanks :) Stage 3 is a long way off from dialysis so I am pleased you have made it that far. Must have been a very scary time for you. We tend to take our organs for granted don't we?

20. SJC

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook