SJC

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Diets!
Wonderful news for you. I'm so pleased.

I had my results today. I don't have kidney disease, all functions normal. However, 2 months ago my eGFR was 68. Today it has gone up to 79. I have also been lowish carbing on about 70g a day with increased fats but not overdoing the fats.

Brilliant! All going in the right direction. I wonder just how many people with severe kidney disease know about this diet!! :)

Reactions: 2 people

SJC

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Diets!
That all sounds incredibly positive SLC. It shows your hard work and angst has paid dividends. Well done.

Thanks. I wish a lot of other kidney disease sufferers knew about this diet.

Lilliepop

Yes it was very scary. That is why taking control of diabetes is so important. I'm pre diabetic at the moment because of all the anti- regection pills I have to take. I'm trying so hard to prevent full blown diabetes. Did fall off the wagen but back on it again now.

Reactions: 4 people

Jerri

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
This will give me something to discuss with my dietician. I am not allowed anything acidic. I don't eat red meat at all. Also fatty foods give me acid but hopefully my dietician will find a way around this as these results are all so positive

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
A normal dietitian won't work you need someone who knows about low/normal protein. higher fat and lower carb and lots of no starch veg

Adele99

Thanks. I wish a lot of other kidney disease sufferers knew about this diet.

Can you explain how this works briefly please. In the past year my GFR rate has dropped down to 57, followed by 54 and most recent test is now 47. At the same time my retinopathy has also changed from just background to moderate. I've been anaemic for past 6years and have also had medium to high got anemia and showing medium traces of blood in urine tests.

But when my GP first explained the blood test results, he said my BP was fine so nothing needed to be done , and he never mentioned any changes needed in my diet. I'm not overweight . Last HBa1c results were around 7.7 which is good for me as 8Ive intermittent gastroparesis which creates havoc with blood sugar levels. He said it was only if my GFR rate dropped down to about 30 that I would need to see a consultant.

My daily carbohydrate intake is around 100 Grammies and has always been this amount . Been diabetic type 1 since the 70's.

SJC

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Diets!
Can you explain how this works briefly please. In the past year my GFR rate has dropped down to 57, followed by 54 and most recent test is now 47. At the same time my retinopathy has also changed from just background to moderate. I've been anaemic for past 6years and have also had medium to high got anemia and showing medium traces of blood in urine tests.

But when my GP first explained the blood test results, he said my BP was fine so nothing needed to be done , and he never mentioned any changes needed in my diet. I'm not overweight . Last HBa1c results were around 7.7 which is good for me as 8Ive intermittent gastroparesis which creates havoc with blood sugar levels. He said it was only if my GFR rate dropped down to about 30 that I would need to see a consultant.

My daily carbohydrate intake is around 100 Grammies and has always been this amount . Been diabetic type 1 since the 70's.

I certainly can't say for a fact that diet will definitely bring down your GFR as there may be other health factors involved that throw a spanner in the works. All I can say is that I have a LCHF diet with very little grain at all these days. My carb intake varies from day today but average is probably around 50 or 60 gms carb a day. I think portion control is important too and would rather have three or four smaller meals than a couple of big ones. I do eat a couple of red bell peppers every week as these are good for kidney function and of course I eat lots of veg and keep my protein intake low. (again it's about portions of proteins). I also check sodium in everything I eat so I don't take in too much.

I have stopped eating any tub marg and only use unsalted butter now. Otherwise I use extra virgin olive oil for cooking or drizzling on salads.

I only have levels of prediabetes and after my last test I have even moved to the normal range, but those who have a much higher glucose level than me will run into kidney difficulties if their glucose is not monitored and treated efficiently, whether that's with diet or meds or both. I have a friend who had perfectly normal kidneys three years ago, she then got type 2 diabetes and six months ago was told it has now affected the function of her kidneys.

Last edited by a moderator:

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
My EGFR was 64 in March. it rose to 79 in June. I did query the 64 rate at the time and was told by my GP that this estimate takes into account age and gender amongst other things, the older you get the less the estimation is. The only things I have done between the 2 tests was drinking far more water - loads of it, cutting carbs down even further, from 126g a day down to 70g. and losing 1.5 stones of weight in that period. I had already cut out added salt before the first test.

SJC

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Diets!
My EGFR was 64 in March. it rose to 79 in June. I did query the 64 rate at the time and was told by my GP that this estimate takes into account age and gender amongst other things, the older you get the less the estimation is. The only things I have done between the 2 tests was drinking far more water - loads of it, cutting carbs down even further, from 126g a day down to 70g. and losing 1.5 stones of weight in that period. I had already cut out added salt before the first test.

It's strange but my tests have never been called EFGR ( estimated).

SJC

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Diets!
When I go for a blood test it just says GFR on the blood sheet not EGFR!

SJC

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Diets!
I have bad news! After feeling so happy with my last GFR result, my GFR has dropped to 52 again. Don't know why but it's really made me feel sad. :(

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Oh I'm so sorry SJC. That's a real bummer. Has the doc any constructive advice for you?

SJC

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Diets!
Oh I'm so sorry SJC. That's a real bummer. Has the doc any constructive advice for you?

No. He didn't seem bothered by it really. Said, 50? 60? Not much difference!
He did say I am doing all the right things and didn't seem bothered by my higher fat diet, but there again, I am not sure he was actually listening because he was reading at the same time ( how rude!).

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Well try to be positive as he isn't too bothered, and maybe he is right that there isn't much difference. I don't know much about it so I can't offer any advice. Chin up, at least you are doing all the right things.