Coconut oil for hair

Mongolia

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
OK so this isn't strictly a LCHF diet question and is somewhat frivolous. I use coconut oil a lot for cooking and know that it is wonderful for other purposes - I often rub what is left on the spoon into my hands. I know that people put it on their hair too and I would like to give it a try. This wouldn't be a regular thing - far too expensive for that! But how do you apply it? Dry hair? Wet hair? Wash it out or leave it in? Sorry that this is a really trivial post!

Reactions: 2 people

Enclave

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
The wife will warm it up and rub into her hair a few hours before washing.. And sometime will put a spoon full of coconut oil in her bath water .. Washing and conditioning her hair in the bath ..so when she gets out from the bath she is lightly covered in coconut oil as is her hair .. And it looks lovely.. And not just because I am her husband ..other ask what she shampoos with .. Yes it is coconut shampoo and conditioner as well.

Reactions: 12 people

Mongolia

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Ooh thanks for this, I'll give it a go! Hopefully my hair will turn out as beautiful as your wife's.:)

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Same as enclave's better half. Exactly the same. I warm it up and also rub into my bum cheeks and hands to heal them from cannula needles and constant stabbing. Oh and also on my face..!(before massaging my bum!!)

Reactions: 4 people

Mongolia

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Same as enclave's better half. Exactly the same. I warm it up and also rub into my bum cheeks and hands to heal them from cannula needles and constant stabbing. Oh and also on my face..!(before massaging my bum!!)
Ha ha, maybe I should just take the whole jar into the shower and rub it all over! This could end up costing me a fortune ;)

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
A little does go a long way though when melted if it is in a solid state.

Must confess though. My hubby put some that Had somehow used with garlic in to a small jar. Which I then used... Stunk of garlic!!! I thought it was unusual but just thought hey ho can't be bothered to go downstairs and get different jar so just used it!!! Not recommended for smell!!!

Patricia21

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Animal crualty
Holland a Barrett have organic cocoanut oil,buy one jar and another for a penny.
I havent used it as yet,but if its good for body and hair,its much better value then expensive body creams.

vintageutopia

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I make a sugar scrub out of it. Sugar, coconut oil, and essential oil (lavender, peppermint, etc.)

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
I make a sugar scrub out of it. Sugar, coconut oil, and essential oil (lavender, peppermint, etc.)

Brilliant idea!! Has to be better than a garlic scrub!!

vintageutopia

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Ha! Most definitely better than a garlic scrub!

Although, the sugar scrub doesn't work nearly as well for fending off vampires. :p

Mongolia

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Ooh this is something else I was going to post about but felt a bit silly! I used to make sugar scrubs, honey and oatmeal face scrubs etc and wanted to make them again but was uncertain as to whether the sugar would actually seep through skin and affect BS readings. I know this sounds a daft question but I'm just not sure of the answer. Any thoughts?

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
Ooh this is something else I was going to post about but felt a bit silly! I used to make sugar scrubs, honey and oatmeal face scrubs etc and wanted to make them again but was uncertain as to whether the sugar would actually seep through skin and affect BS readings. I know this sounds a daft question but I'm just not sure of the answer. Any thoughts?

Hi, as long as the skin product is rinsed off thoroughly there shouldn't be a problem. Also some hand washes contain soap, so again, a good rinse and dry thoroughly.

Best wishes RRB

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes

Good point.. I honestly haven't got a clue... But my non chemical / medical analysis thinks it wouldn't....

Scimama

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only

In short the answer is no, unless of course you are using nanoparticle sugar, a skin penetration enhancing solvent and keeping your sugar scrub on for a very prolonged period of time.,

In response to OP, I use a tiny amount of coconut oil on my very dry hair to calm the frizz, too much and it will be greasy looking. You can get a "cosmetic" grade coconut oil from superdrug that is very cheap, often use this as a bath oil.

Mongolia

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
In short the answer is no, unless of course you are using nanoparticle sugar, a skin penetration enhancing solvent and keeping your sugar scrub on for a very prolonged period of time.,

In response to OP, I use a tiny amount of coconut oil on my very dry hair to calm the frizz, too much and it will be greasy looking. You can get a "cosmetic" grade coconut oil from superdrug that is very cheap, often use this as a bath oil.
Thank you for all this information, very useful to know.

JTL

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Litterbugs war mongers hate mongers propagandists.
I'm sure there's more.
My four year old granddaughter keeps coming home from school with nits.
They are rife and what needs to be done is all parents deal with the problem at the same time but that hasn't happened yet.
We have discovered that washing her hair getting the nit comb on it and then after drying rubbing in coconut oil and leaving it for the weekend gets rid of the nits .... ready to catch them again on Monday at school.
I'm trying to talk my daughter into sending her in with a permanent coating of the stuff but to no avail yet.

LucySW

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
OK so this isn't strictly a LCHF diet question and is somewhat frivolous. I use coconut oil a lot for cooking and know that it is wonderful for other purposes - I often rub what is left on the spoon into my hands. I know that people put it on their hair too and I would like to give it a try. This wouldn't be a regular thing - far too expensive for that! But how do you apply it? Dry hair? Wet hair? Wash it out or leave it in? Sorry that this is a really trivial post!
It's Asian women's secret weapon. Warm it, massage into hair and scalp, leave for a time. Then when you wash it out, massage shampoo in without water first, then add water and lather up. Easier to get off that way.

It's amazing. Go for it.

rahul991

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
hate eating food with better taste.
Well I was thinking to try that coco. oil for other option if its available.Hope all members got this!!:spitoutdummy: