Coeliac Disease

Livi4

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi All, my 4 year old was diagnosed in Jan with T1 and has been newly diagnosed with coeliac, has anyone got any tips etc for eating out as she is a fussy eater and we go on holiday in uk this Thursday and stressed about cross contamination etc

Engineer88

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Where are you going? I'm diabetic and coeliac and my kids are fussy, should we start a group?! ;)

Reactions: Livi4

Tony337

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being on holiday....
Me too coeliac and you may be surprised to know you can have a mcdonalds without the bun and that meets the coeliacs codex.
Not everyones cup of tea but apparently children do like them and its served on a tray with a knife and fork.

GF eateries are becoming more and more popular as its become a trend for people without coeliacs.
Have you joined coeliacs uk?
Please do as its full of useful information and freebies too.
As engineer88 asked where are you going?

Good luck
Tony

Reactions: azure and Livi4

Livi4

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Me too coeliac and you may be surprised to know you can have a mcdonalds without the bun and that meets the coeliacs codex.
Not everyones cup of tea but apparently children do like them and its served on a tray with a knife and fork.

GF eateries are becoming more and more popular as its become a trend for people without coeliacs.

Good luck
Tony

Thank You, I was scared to try McDonalds as when read up it mentioned high risk of cross contamination, I'm sooo new to this all and feel as though it's taken over the diabetes!!.

Engineer88

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
We're going to Lincolnshire? Yes that would be great to have a group for other ppl like us.

Not an area I know all that well I'm afraid, however franky and bennys do a gf kids menu, as do TGI's. McDonalds as mentioned anything burger wise minus the bun and chips are good too (plus mcflurrys and hash browns). I like mcD as they carb count also.

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Lots of places have hot dogs ( sausages) without the buns and can be wiped with a napkin just for insurance. You need to be careful of fried foods as many places don't have separate fryers. Or eggs of any kind.
I'm not, nor is my daughter celiac but both very intolerant. When we travel we both bring some foods for snacks just for peace of mind. Also beware gluten intolerance ( celiac) goes hand in hand with dairy and a few other cross reactive foods.
Does she like carrot or celery sticks? Other Rae veggies? They're easy to travel with. Hard boiled eggs? We usually stay in places with refrigerators as it's so much easier to bring and buy food than stress over every meal of everyday.

Mbaker

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Available fast foods in Supermarkets
I eat out a lot between Colchester (you've probably not heard of this area, around 60 miles from London) and London and notice a lot of restaurants positively offer gluten free options (I know many Cake Boss outlets have desserts which are GF also). I would think that if you are able to prepare some searches in and around where you are staying, you could email ahead and enquire, many places have their menus on the websites - good luck.

cott97

Type of diabetes
Type 2

Good luck
Tony
The egg and sausage mcmuffin is also good without the muffin. Harvesters are reasonable and I have always found Morrison's coffee shops really good when you tell them.

sterling

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
It is difficult for coeliacs trying to grab a midday snack. So many salads are bulked out with pasta. Pret a Manager does quite well with salad selections but there's not always a pret at hand regionally outside of London.