Coeliac

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
Yes I know that and it's quite simple to follow and understand.
Just make sure you read all labels before purchase or consuming products. I'm if I managed to do this on my own then others can do so as well.
Coeliac soc have lists of GF foods and the www. also has plenty of info.

I'm sure some can, but possibly not all :wideyed:
Don't forget about the concerned parents of Coeliac children and teenagers as well. If people don't want to see a dietican, then fair enough, it's their choice, but the vast majority do.:)

Reactions: 2 people

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
pasta ice cream and chocolate
I'm sure some can, but possibly not all :wideyed:
Don't forget about the concerned parents of Coeliac children and teenagers as well. If people don't want to see a dietican, then fair enough, it's their choice, but the vast majority do.:)
I was never offered the choice, I just got on with it :)

Shelld70

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi my daughter who is 5, diagnosed as coeliac end of march this year, just a little concerned regarding the high carb foods on prescription, that you have been discussing, do I need to be concerned?

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Hi my daughter who is 5, diagnosed as coeliac end of march this year, just a little concerned regarding the high carb foods on prescription, that you have been discussing, do I need to be concerned?

Hello, sorry to hear of your daughters diagnosis. Children and adults eat different amounts and also the older you get you have to watch the weight a lot more. Whereas children are constantly growing and on the go.
A slice of wheat based bread is probably about the same amount of carbs as a free from slice of bread, but the slice is a lot smaller, about half the size. Potato, rice, tapioca and corn are often used and these are carbs, so the foods do seems to be higher. I have fibre flakes, crackers and pasta on prescription and I eat these from time to time. It's going to be a lot of try and see how foods affect her and then do some tweaking. I found a loaf in Asda called Be free and it is a good sized slice and 10 carbs. Supermarkets stock Free from foods, on the FF shelf and also frozen. A FF fish finger is about 4 carbs, so x2, 8 carbs, x3 12 carbs and I tried a Chicken Kiev yesterday for the first time with a lot of salad and the Kiev was 10 carbs, tasted okay, but these products are more expensive than regular off the shelf foods.
I hope you can find a happy medium for your little girl and she will enjoy the foods she likes and tries other foods too.

Good luck and all the best RRB

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
pasta ice cream and chocolate
Hi Shell,
I have ditched the prescription foods as who ever who made them had no taste buds :( Like you I agree they are very high carb as well. The best bread I have found is the genius triple seeded loaf and it's about 14 carbs a slice.

JANROU

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Make sure you speak to a dietician, I've found that since I was diagnosed that I need to increase my carb to insulin ratio. I've been told that I'm now absorbing my food better. There are more foods available, however a lot of these have a higher GI so it's a juggling act. I know that you and your daughter will get to grips with this, good luck. I. Sure with time you will both adjust to this new challenge

Ladybird1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello I've been type 1 for 52 years and just been diagnosed with coeliac disease in December last year. I had blood tests and then a gastroscopy and a colonoscopy. I am still waiting for the dietitian and diabetes dietitian to get their act together and see me. I had a blood test to check my vitamin D level and it's very low, so now waiting for yet some more tablets to take for that. I was shocked at first at the diagnosis but then thought ,yes another one for the collection ;) Hope everything goes well for you

Well after a visit to see the dietitian, i've finally got my prescription sorted out, but now having trouble with my b/g. Before I started with the gluten free food my b/g was fine and now it's all over the place again. I would be grateful if anyone can give me a few pointers. Just feeling fed up now, feel like I'm going round in circles, plus having severe stomach cramps never had them before on a "normal" diet

Heathenlass

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Well after a visit to see the dietitian, i've finally got my prescription sorted out, but now having trouble with my b/g. Before I started with the gluten free food my b/g was fine and now it's all over the place again. I would be grateful if anyone can give me a few pointers. Just feeling fed up now, feel like I'm going round in circles, plus having severe stomach cramps never had them before on a "normal" diet

Two things spring to mind - firstly, after a coeliac diagnosis and going gluten free, your digestive tract starts to heal, and you absorb more nutrients than you did previously. So the basal rates and bolus ratios will change in some way, more than once, as you return to normal. Obviously, this affects your control. Which brings me to the second thing ...

Specificaly Gluten Free foods tend to be higher in carbs than their everyday equivalents, and just to make life interesting :rolleyes:, vary from brand to brand, as does their composition. How a certain ingredient affects you in terms of raising your BG is very personal, and it's a period of trial and error to find the ones that keep you stable. I would advise introducing them in small quantities as an experiment . This may also help with the stomach cramps, and help identify some of the components that you may be intolerant to in spite of the product being GF. The good news is that there is a variety of different options to try available on prescription, so, say, if you find tapioca flour cramps you, there are other products that don't contain this .

Another thing to consider is that the cramps may be temporary as you return to " normal" through healing, so something you find causes you problems now, may not further down the line .

I would advise joining CoeliacUK too, if you haven't already . Their directory ( in paperback ) is a great resource.

And good luck :)

Signy

dancer

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Last week I received an appointment with a gastroenterologist which I thought must be a mistake. I phoned appointments to find out and was told my diabetes consultant had referred me due to the result of a blood test at my annual review in August which showed raised antibodies.

After worrying for a few days, I phoned my doctor to try and find out, from the test result, how likely it would be that I would be diagnosed as coeliac. There was no report from my annual review, and therefore no record of my consultant's referral to gastroenterology. I then phoned my diabetes consultant's secretary to find out more. All she could tell me was that I had been referred to gastroenterology because they do tests that the diabetes clinic doesn't.

I have no symptoms but have read that this doesn't mean I don't have coeliac disease. Does anyone have any idea of how likely it is I'll have a positive diagnosis? I realise that this is probably a silly question but my appointment isn't till January and I'm worried (even having difficulty sleeping).

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Last week I received an appointment with a gastroenterologist which I thought must be a mistake. I phoned appointments to find out and was told my diabetes consultant had referred me due to the result of a blood test at my annual review in August which showed raised antibodies.

After worrying for a few days, I phoned my doctor to try and find out, from the test result, how likely it would be that I would be diagnosed as coeliac. There was no report from my annual review, and therefore no record of my consultant's referral to gastroenterology. I then phoned my diabetes consultant's secretary to find out more. All she could tell me was that I had been referred to gastroenterology because they do tests that the diabetes clinic doesn't.

I have no symptoms but have read that this doesn't mean I don't have coeliac disease. Does anyone have any idea of how likely it is I'll have a positive diagnosis? I realise that this is probably a silly question but my appointment isn't till January and I'm worried (even having difficulty sleeping).

Try not to worry too much, January will be here very soon. No one can say what your diagnosis may reveal, as some people have no symptoms what so ever and Coeliac is very manageable once you learn which foods to avoid.
Best wishes RRB

dancer

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Try not to worry too much, January will be here very soon. No one can say what your diagnosis may reveal, as some people have no symptoms what so ever and Coeliac is very manageable once you learn which foods to avoid.
Best wishes RRB
Thanks RRB, I know a positive result wouldn't be the end of the world but every time I eat something "nice" I think, "This could be the last time I eat this!" Every so often I think of food that I love and realise that I would have to stop eating it after a positive diagnosis. I don't even know if that is true for some of the food, as I'd need a dietician to confirm it. For example, pakora from an Indian restaurant - I presume there's wheat flour in it but haven't a clue if that's true.

I'll try not to worry, thanks for your reply!

dancer

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Today I was talking to my DSN and she asked if I had any symptoms. I told her I couldn't get to sleep last night because I had heartburn - and I never get heartburn. I also told her I don't have diarrhoea but I can "go" several times a day (yesterday it must have been 6 or more times).

She asked about stomach pain and I told her only very occasionally - and a wee glass of whisky gets rid of that.

She told me I should tell the gastroenterologist all of this because it coul be relevant. Did any of you have this kind of thing before diagnosis?