Coffee...

parrot soup

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
My flatmate. :D
The only beverage I love, and it wreaks havoc with diabetes! I've struggled to beat this addiction of mine, going some months at a time without caffeine at all (the times were tough. My flatmate had to pour the coffee in the bin... Kind of like what someone does for an alcoholic :D). For the past few weeks I thought I'd try decaf coffee, and whilst I did my best to restrict myself to one every second day or so, it wasn't long before I was downing several a day. Then of course, my diabetes turned to shít...

Ah! My caffeine free diet begins today...

dtennant9

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Have you noticed your glucose levels rise with coffee? I also love coffee and don't notice any changes from having it. Luckily been one of the things I've not had to change much since I was diagnosed.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Reactions: 2 people

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Shows how individual we all are, can't say coffee has any noticeable effect on my bg levels although I only drink about 2 cups a day max.

Reactions: 5 people

JTL

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Litterbugs war mongers hate mongers propagandists.
I'm sure there's more.

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Shows how individual we all are, can't say coffee has any noticeable effect on my bg levels although I only drink about 2 cups a day max.
That goes against other "expert" findings that 3 cups a day of coffee can stave off diabetes.....

I rather think that it's what type of coffee you have... Too many skinny latte's that are loaded..

Personally I am practically attached to a constant drip of coffee, and it makes no odds to my bg's at all.... Unless it is one that from pods in tassimmo coffee machine... Then I need a bolus for 19g of carb!!

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
"Three cups of coffee a day could help keep diabetes away," The Independent reports. A US study has found a link between increased coffee intake and a small – but significant – reduction in type 2 diabetes risk, but not proof that drinking coffee prevents diabetes.
The study found that adults who increased their coffee consumption by more than one cup a day reduced their risk of developing type 2 diabetes by around 11% in the following four years. The reduction in relative risk held for a range of initial coffee consumption levels and appeared to remain up to 16 years later.
Coffee consumption was assessed every four years. It appeared that increasing coffee consumption during this period made a difference to diabetes risk in the subsequent four years and longer.
Coffee has many biologically active compounds, making it plausible that it could influence diabetes disease risk. However, this study falls short of proving that it does. The researchers did adjust the results for possible underlying factors that could explain the association, but, as with any study of this kind, some factors may have been overlooked."

Ok, this is for non diabetics, but if we believed everything from the media.........

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
That goes against other "expert" findings that 3 cups a day of coffee can stave off diabetes.....

I rather think that it's what type of coffee you have... Too many skinny latte's that are loaded..

Personally I am practically attached to a constant drip of coffee, and it makes no odds to my bg's at all.... Unless it is one that from pods in tassimmo coffee machine... Then I need a bolus for 19g of carb!!

Yes it does depend on the type of coffee drink, the Costa style coffee's are made using a mixture of milk & water and I'd say some have glucose added. I only drink coffee with a splash of milk and even then it's decaff, although that said caffeinated coffee has no effect either, much prefer a cup of tea and green tea as it's more refreshing.

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
I rarely have the tassimo's, just a treat for breakfast sat on patio on Saturday, planning the weekend gardening work! Costa's don't like...got to have the Carte Noire brand.. Got hooked on the Nescafé Barrista coffee previously because of the tins (not the taste!!) that I paint and use as pots!!

dtennant9

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I find the 'Costa Style' coffee doesn't cause a rise in my glucose levels, which I've always found strange with it being mainly milk.
Anytime I try and bolus for them I'll hypo, if I take no bolus all is well.
Some of the Tassimo's can have quite a lot of carbs but I'm sure the Costa Cappuccino ones are only around 2g.

parrot soup

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
I usually only drink black - instant or ground -, never the milky, and sugar loaded ones you find at a café (crappuccino :D, latte etc.). Of course, those coffees aren't good in the short term. But I'm meaning overall, I find my diabetes much more unpredictable after having being on the coffee (must affect the insulin somehow). I thought drinking decaf will do the trick, but sadly not. I'm running high a lot in the mornings, and I need more insulin for meals.

I love coffee! :(

novorapidboi26

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I wouldn't give up just yet.....................get some numbers down on paper, with and without coffee.............make a detailed analysis of the results....

I can understand caffeine having an effect on BG by maybe increasing resistance for example, but only with very large amounts......

diamondnostril

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I usually only drink black - instant or ground -, never the milky, and sugar loaded ones you find at a café (crappuccino :D, latte etc.). Of course, those coffees aren't good in the short term. But I'm meaning overall, I find my diabetes much more unpredictable after having being on the coffee (must affect the insulin somehow). I thought drinking decaf will do the trick, but sadly not. I'm running high a lot in the mornings, and I need more insulin for meals.

I love coffee! :(

might or might not be useful for you . . .

http://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/coffee-anyone.54943/#post-506182

Regards,
Antony

Mosschops

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Do you use sugar or sweetener? Bare in mind even artificial sweetener can affect your BS's

crunchieice

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Coffee can raise my blood sugars, but not massively. As for Costa, if you drink cappuccino or latte, it's made with full fat milk and I inject a couple of units or just have Americano, which does not affect it at all. Costa do not put glucose in it!!!

parrot soup

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
I don't think it's the water, as I drink plenty of redbush tea without any problems.

Oh well, it's been 10 days now without coffee and I think I can do this. :D I might treat myself to a coffee at a café occasionally, but I prefer brewing my own anyway...

Paul J

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
all the things i should have.....well some anyway
tea, white no sugar/sweetner,
Coffee Americano, with an extra shot.... black no sugar/sweetner

Plenty every day and not a BG problem in sight...

itconor

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
The only beverage I love, and it wreaks havoc with diabetes! I've struggled to beat this addiction of mine, going some months at a time without caffeine at all (the times were tough. My flatmate had to pour the coffee in the bin... Kind of like what someone does for an alcoholic :D). For the past few weeks I thought I'd try decaf coffee, and whilst I did my best to restrict myself to one every second day or so, it wasn't long before I was downing several a day. Then of course, my diabetes turned to shít...

Also a Fellow Caffeine Addict drinking many cups a day. it doesn't touch my sugar levels even with the drop of milk i put in it. Are you using instant? maybe there is some sugar additive? Real Coffee Shouldnt really effect you.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm ok with good quality ground beans. I'm not ok with instant. Caffeine or decaff makes no difference.

There's a theory that the moulds that grow on coffee beans in the warehouses, and that inevitably get included in the final product, are to blame.

Who knows?

I just restrict myself to one coffee, no sugar, with cream, some mornings.
More than that, later than that, and my BG goes haywire and I don't sleep (yup, even with decaf).

ibivi

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

I understand that caffeine had an effect on blood sugar but it was a small test group and they were consuming about 4 cups a day. That is too much. One to two cups a day at most should be OK. Coffee can upset your stomach as well so don't over do it. Take care.