Cold medication, "do not take"?

PaulinaB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi all,

I bought some cold medication that contains: paracetamol, phenylephrine and guaifenesin. On the leaflet is says "do not take if you have diabetes" (along other medical conditions). I'm wondering - WHY? Is there any specific reason or is this just general "advice"? It's not even in the "take special care" section, but in the big bold "do not take".

I know that there are other therapies/treatments for cold, I was just curious if there's anything special about those ingredients that can be "bad" for diabetics. I always assumed that if something can affect you BG, it would be in the "take care" section, and the "do not take" section was for serious, potentially life-threatening interactions.

Reactions: 2 people

kimbo1962

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi all,

I bought some cold medication that contains: paracetamol, phenylephrine and guaifenesin. On the leaflet is says "do not take if you have diabetes" (along other medical conditions). I'm wondering - WHY? Is there any specific reason or is this just general "advice"? It's not even in the "take special care" section, but in the big bold "do not take".

I know that there are other therapies/treatments for cold, I was just curious if there's anything special about those ingredients that can be "bad" for diabetics. I always assumed that if something can affect you BG, it would be in the "take care" section, and the "do not take" section was for serious, potentially life-threatening interactions.
When I was first diagnosed and picking up my first script for metformin the lovely pharmacist told me from then on to always say I was diabetic when purchasing over the counter medicines, I think it's due to some containing sugar- she did say there sugar free versions of most cough meds for example

poohtiggy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Getting old and diabetese
Hi all,

I agree with Kimbo on this, it's probably sugar content. I have just had a hacking cough and because of other medication I have to avoid decongestants so I bought a simple Buttercup syrup and it contained something like 62g of sugar per 5ml spoonful, the box also had a warning for diabetics. Thanks Kimbo I did not know there were sugar free cough medicines I will look into that

poohtiggy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Getting old and diabetese
I agree with Kimbo on this, it's probably sugar content. I have just had a hacking cough and because of other medication I have to avoid decongestants so I bought a simple Buttercup syrup and it contained something like 62g of sugar per 5ml spoonful, the box also had a warning for diabetics. Thanks Kimbo I did not know there were sugar free cough medicines I will look into that
Just remembered my doctors advice, hot water with lemon and honey, he reckons cough/cold remedies do very little, lemon is a natural healer as is honey

Reactions: 8 people

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
The reason that these things say not suitable for diabetics is due to the active ingredients (especially in the tablets where there isn't added sugar). In some cases ingredients such as pseudoephedrine and guaifenesin/phenylephrine have been shown to cause blood sugar increases in diabetics.

Reactions: 3 people

mariposa84

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Robitussin cough medicines work and are usually sugar-free. I was told exactly what tim says above by a pharmacist as i queried why i couldnt take a certain painkiller even though no sugar was listed in the ingredients

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Just remembered my doctors advice, hot water with lemon and honey, he reckons cough/cold remedies do very little, lemon is a natural healer as is honey
If you have a cold, he is right. Generally paracetamol will get reduce a fever and honey and lemon, and lots of liquids, will reduce the impact of mucus.

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
A teaspoon of honey and juice of half a lemon in hot water. Yes, it's 5g of sugar, but as a type 1 it's ready to deal with.

Reactions: 4 people

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
pasta ice cream and chocolate
If the tablet you bought was a decongestant then the diabetes warning is due to the tablet having the potential to raise BP. My pharmacist said 3 days was fine to take them for and no more.
Obviously the manufacturers have to cover themselves thus the warning on packets.

PaulinaB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
So it basically MAY raise your BG. I wouldn't think that's a reason to put it under "do not take"... Stuff like: it raises blood pressure and you have hypertension = do not take.
I don't like being treated like a moron...

carb addict

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Other
Can I extend the question because I have had a hacking cough for weeks now and have been using anything that fell out of the bathroom cabinet when it's been really bad and trying to stick to olbas oil and drinks mostly. I test randomly and so don't know my normal BG levels but have been feeling really rough in the middle of the night especially with highs of 17+ at 2am. That wasn't the day I also woke up with the munchies so had toast (pre-toast reading of 10+). Is it the cold, is it the cold remedies?

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
pasta ice cream and chocolate
So it basically MAY raise your BG. I wouldn't think that's a reason to put it under "do not take"... Stuff like: it raises blood pressure and you have hypertension = do not take.
I don't like being treated like a moron...
The manufactures have to cover their backsides, just in case someone decides to sue them for not putting the warning on the package and they come to harm.
People with diabetes are prone to high BP hence the diabetes warning. It's nothing to do with blood sugar rise. Having a cold or infection with raise blood sugars anyway for most people.

AlexMBrennan

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I am pretty sure that it's not the sugar content - BG is very largely hormonal (e.g. This is why cortisone injections induce hyperglycemia), so if you get ill you will need significantly more insulin regardless of what, if anything, you ingest, making a few grams of sugar contained in a dose of cold medicine irrelevant.

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Can I extend the question because I have had a hacking cough for weeks now and have been using anything that fell out of the bathroom cabinet when it's been really bad and trying to stick to olbas oil and drinks mostly. I test randomly and so don't know my normal BG levels but have been feeling really rough in the middle of the night especially with highs of 17+ at 2am. That wasn't the day I also woke up with the munchies so had toast (pre-toast reading of 10+). Is it the cold, is it the cold remedies?
When you are unwell, you have to move away from random testing and do a whole lot more regimented testing.

If you are properly ill , your body will increase your blood sugar as it tries to fight off anything you may have. If, alongside this, you are eating additional carbs, your blood sugar will spiral.

As a type 1, I have to take more insulin when properly ill (but it doesn't happen very often). As a type 2, I would suspect you should cut down on carby foods while your blood sugar is being affected.

I'm afraid I don't know whether you are type one or two so advice is difficult to give.

loulou99782

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Hot lemon and honey my winter cure all, hot sugar free vimto or blackcurrent good aswell just make sure its got added vital c. Olbas oil is really good too and I am ok with it even though i am serve astmatic.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people

Hi have you been to your GP about your ongoing cough, as you mentioned 'weeks' so if its still there after 3 weeks, best thing is to see your GP. Problem with some coughs is they linger and if your immune system is down a bit, the cough could get worse.
Luckily, I very rarely get coughs or colds ( famous last words) !
Your hunger issue could be some change in your metabolism and there is also a medical condition regarding ' being hungry all the time'. It's to do with your brain function and how it's wired ! I do hope you start to feel better soon :) All the best.

Best wishes RRB

Last edited by a moderator:

Daphne917

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
If I'm unsure about what to take I always ask the pharmacist particularly as both myself and my husband take a variety of prescription meds.

carb addict

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Other
Thanks for the replies. After two hours sleep last night my husband has a cure... Murder or the spare room:)