colds and bg levels

Libbyloo

I'm type 2 and coeliac. Last week I had a horrendous cold, which went by the weekend, but has left me with catarrh. Initially my bg levels didn't alter and remained pretty much along the usual lines of between 6 and 9, 2hrs after food. Since late last week, they have been creeping up and are now sometimes around 10 to 12 depending on what I've eaten and time of day etc.

I'm on 40mg gliclazide with breakfast, 120 with lunch and 160 with dinner at night. I was wondering if a cold/virus can affect the bg's. I'm eating a fairly low carb diet, but because I've lost so much weight with the coeliac, it's a bit of a fine balance. I'm not sure what to do, so any tips would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Libbyloo

Jen&Khaleb

Dislikes
Not having enough time. Broken sleep.
Illnesses can play havoc with bg but as my son is T1 (on insulin) I have no idea how T2 generally manage sick days. If you think you have a secondary infection from the initial bout of cold/flu it might be time to see your doctor.

Wishing you well soon.

Libbyloo

Hello Jen & Khaleb,

Thanks for taking time to get back to me. I think I may have a secondary infection as my throat is really sore again and I feel out of sorts, so I'm going to try to get to see my GP tomorrow.

Libbyloo