Colitis

Rose88

Type of diabetes
Type 2
@Winnie53 I too had difficulty in accessing the forum today, I thought my PC and iPad were just playing up!
I live in the uk.

Winnie53

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
This just posted today on an ulcerative colitis website in the US. I encourage anyone with crohn's or colitis to read Cathy's story of achieving remission from colitis after being told she needed to have her colon removed. Following each hospitalization, she used a combination of the specific carbohydrate diet, fecal transplants, and eliminating other triggering foods from her diet. It's hopeful, inspiring, and a fascinating read...

http://www.ihaveuc.com/cathys-free-...eal-the-colon/comment-page-1/#comment-2362404

librarising

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Here's what the late great (to some) Barry Groves has to say

http://www.second-opinions.co.uk/linoleic-acid-and-ibs.html#.WRk_79y1viw
(a study from the University of East Anglia ... which showed that linoleic acid inflamed the gut and increased the risk of conditions such as ulcerative colitis and irritable bowel disease)

in which he blames an excess of omega-6 oils, leading to an excess of linoleic acid.
His conclusion ?
"if you want to avoid eating harmful amounts of linoleic acid and the risk of serious bowel disease:
  • Eat animal fats, particularly from cattle and sheep, tropical oils (coconut and palm oils), and olive oil
  • Don't eat vegetable margarines and cooking oils."
So, it's all part of the healthy and unhealthy fats debate, which deserves everybody's attention.
Geoff

Winnie53

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@librarising Thank you for this information. You just confirmed for me something I've experienced repeatedly. I also want to add that I have used the low carbohydrate high healthy fat diet for 2+ years, and tolerate healthy oils and fats well daily. But the unhealthy vegetable oils make me ill. I enjoy butter from grass fed cows, extra virgin olive oil, organic, virgin coconut oil, grapeseed oil, avocado oil, and animal fats.

I believe my first ulcerative colitis flare was caused by highly processed, vegetable oils, high in omega 6's - (corn, saffola, sunflower, canola, soybean, cottonseed, peanut).

In 1999, I began working in a restaurant 5 days a week. For lunch each day I'd have fish and chips, or a grilled hamburger or grilled chicken sandwich with fries. Within 6 months I began having symptoms. Colonoscopy found evidence of the beginnings of the disease. Gastroenterologist recommended that I try to follow the Specific Carbohydrate Diet (SCD). I did. Symptoms slowly remitted. I enjoyed remission for 15 years. I owe my life to that man.

Two years ago I added flaxseed to my daily diet. Within three weeks I experienced my second flare. I returned to the SCD and discovered that flaxseed is an "illegal" food on the diet so removed it from my diet immediately, but it was too late. The overgrowth of bacteria had already taken hold. I continued on the diet for 9 months. I didn't get worse, but I didn't get better either.

Within days of my colonoscopy symptoms remitted again. My theory is that the colonoscopy prep with a freshly squeezed lemon juice chaser - (all seeds and pulp were removed) - purged the overgrowth of bacteria from my gut which provided the good bacteria the support needed to re-balance and rebuild the diversity of my gut flora.

Interestingly, even though I'd been in remission for a year, I began having symptoms again after eating sweet potato fries cooked in a designated, gluten-free deep fryer for two days, then went back into remission.

For those who have crohn's or colitis, Cathy's story explores new territory. Following each hospitalization, she used a combination of the specific carbohydrate diet, fecal transplants, and eliminating other triggering foods from her diet. It's hopeful, inspiring, and a fascinating read...

http://www.ihaveuc.com/cathys-free-...eal-the-colon/comment-page-1/#comment-2362404

Last edited:
Reactions: librarising