Colonoscopy - advice please?

terryhudson

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi everybody just wondering if anyone has any advice for me please.I am having a colonoscopy on Thursday morning
And I am not allowed any food after breakfast on Wednesday so how will I manage?
Help!

terryhudson

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
What meds are you on @terryhudson ? If in any doubt, it would be best to phone and check so that you know for sure you're doing everything right.

I hope it goes well.

C

catherinecherub

Hi @terryhudson,
The leaflets that are sent out with the appointment will tell you what to do.
You usually have to take a strong laxative throughout the preceding day so if you eat then it will defeat the object.
Reading through you posts it would appear that you are on insulin. I would phone the Gastroenterology department if the leaflets do not make it clear about insulin/medication dos and don'ts.
You will find that you will spend most of the day prior to the appointment on the toilet. Most people find the preceding day is worse than the colonoscopy.

Reactions: Struma

terryhudson

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi @terryhudson,
The leaflets that are sent out with the appointment will tell you what to do.
You usually have to take a strong laxative throughout the preceding day so if you eat then it will defeat the object.
Reading through you posts it would appear that you are on insulin. I would phone the Gastroenterology department if the leaflets do not make it clear about insulin/medication dos and don'ts.
You will find that you will spend most of the day prior to the appointment on the toilet. Most people find the preceding day is worse than the colonoscopy.
Hi catherinecherub I have had the leaflets but it doesn't mention Tablets or Insulin
Many thanks.

BeadieJay

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi, I had a colonoscopy a couple of months ago. I phoned my GP & asked his advice about my meds, so I strongly suggest that you speak to someone tomorrow. Good luck with it all - it's really not that bad!

Reactions: azure

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi I'm on Metformin and Insulin, thanks for your help.

Ok, then it's important you check with your doctor. If you're on insulin, you may need to adjust your dose. So for that reason, it's very important you get clear instructions.

Don't worry about asking and make sure the person you speak to understands what meds you're on.