Colonoscopy

DunePlodder

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm booked in for a colonoscopy on Wednesday. I think perhaps I underestimated the sedative which I assumed was mild - the paperwork says it "is not a general anaesthetic & you will be awake during the procedure. This allows us to talk to you during the test & ensure you are relaxed & comfortable".

I arranged for a friend to pick me up & stay with me for the rest of the day. I live alone but the hospital insists that I must have someone staying with me overnight. This is a bit of a problem but hopefully I can sort something out.

More to the point though is that I take care of my diabetes - my friend knows little about it.

My question for anyone who has had this procedure is, were they able to sort out their dosages & injections?
Any help would be much appreciated.

satindoll

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
I've had a couple of these and they were quite straight forward and was able to do the usual tests and take my usual jabs at the usual times just adjusting dosages to the meter readings, hope that helps.

Reactions: 2 people

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm type 2 so I can't really help you on the dosages and injections sorry. I had the procedure (a year ago) with just gas and air though and it was fine. I don't think every hospital offers this, I just didn't want an anaesthetic.

DunePlodder

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I've had a couple of these and they were quite straight forward and was able to do the usual tests and take my usual jabs at the usual times just adjusting dosages to the meter readings, hope that helps.
Thank you, that's reassuring.

DunePlodder

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm type 2 so I can't really help you on the dosages and injections sorry. I had the procedure (a year ago) with just gas and air though and it was fine. I don't think every hospital offers this, I just didn't want an anaesthetic.

I think I may try without the sedative first.

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I think I may try without the sedative first.
I see that you are male. The stomach cramps may be a bit of a shock.....we women are well used to them so they didn't bother me. (Sorry not trying to frighten you!)

A word of warning though......if you have Picolax to prepare you for the procedure stay very close to the bathroom.........when they say it's a strong laxative it's an understatement.! :eek:

I'll be thinking of you and hope it's all as easy as mine was.

Reactions: 4 people

Alanp35

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cricket, golf
I had colonoscopy on 18 Dec 2014 and had no problems at all. The anaesthetic is very mild, was much appreciated as it just helped me doze lightly throughout the procedure. I was driven home and was totally my usual cognitive self. Needed no help at all during the evening night.
Don't worry about it.
By the way my results showed diverticulitis - but then I had that before the colonoscopy as well as after. For me, it was caused by excessive NSAID intake over 50 years to try to control severe rheumatoid arthritis.
I don't worry about it - stress only adds to any problem.

Patricia21

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Animal crualty
I had the same last year,I didnt need anyithing,hardly any discomfort,very small tube.I watched it on the screen.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
I had procedure done several years ago and opted not to have the sedative beforehand, it wasn't as bad as I thought and certainly wasn't as bad as having an endoscopy done, the worst part was having to drink that fluid they give you leading up to the procedure to clean the bowels out.

Try not to worry Duneplodder, the procedure takes no more than 20-30 mins, you can't eat for the hours leading up to the procedure but you can still manage your own bg levels using your own pens, once you come out of theatre they give you something to eat and drink and make sure you are fully recovered before returning home, if I remember right I was back home 3 hours after.

S

Shar67

I was given 3 sachets of laxative to take the night and morning before, only needed 2 sachets. Procedure was not as bad as I thought it would be in fact I found it easy, I was allowed to view procedure on the monitor, I was given toast and hot chocolate after so took insulin then. (July 2014)

DunePlodder

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
If I were T1, I would do overnight and miss a meal basal tests. to get myself stable for the 24hr no food.
http://www.diabetes-support.org.uk/info/?page_id=120

Surprisingly, perhaps, they've given me a diabetes "light diet" with the likes of clear soups & sugar free jellies for the day before. No carbohydrate. I'm pretty happy about my basal, I have a CGM so effectively check it every night.

DunePlodder

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thank you all. One more thing, do any of you live alone? Does it seem necessary to have someone stay overnight?
I'm having the procedure first thing Wednesday morning.

robert72

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thank you all. One more thing, do any of you live alone? Does it seem necessary to have someone stay overnight?
I had 'both ends' done with strong sedative, first on the list in the morning. Was allowed home on my own with no requirement for anyone to be with me overnight. You could always call the clinic and ask why they suggest this, as there may be a reason in your case.

Alanp35

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cricket, golf
I live alone, had no-one stay overnight. The hospital will,ensure you're fine when you leave and its all OK from then on.

DunePlodder

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I did call the clinic & the nurse said they won't give me the sedative unless I have someone staying with me overnight. Nothing specific to me as far as I understood. Just covering themselves I guess.

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
As zand says the Picolax is a sore bum waiting to happen keep close to the loo,

How can I put this.......I wasn't thinking of the sore bum aspect.........lol...If I ever needed one again I would sit in the bathroom and read for several hours. :eek:

Reactions: 4 people