Coming off insulin after pregnancy

samixxx

Type of diabetes
Gestational
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi all, looking for anyone with experience of taking insulin whilst pregnant. I am now 15 weeks pregnant and diagnosed with type 2, appears it was discovered accidentally. My hba1c was 53 and consultant advised starting insulin. I'm just concerned that once I have the baby that my body will rely on the insulin. Has anyone only been on insulin while pregnant? Thank you in advance xx

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi all, looking for anyone with experience of taking insulin whilst pregnant. I am now 15 weeks pregnant and diagnosed with type 2, appears it was discovered accidentally. My hba1c was 53 and consultant advised starting insulin. I'm just concerned that once I have the baby that my body will rely on the insulin. Has anyone only been on insulin while pregnant? Thank you in advance xx

Hi @samixxx :)

The pregnancy hormones cause insulin resistance so it's not uncommon for a Type 2 who doesn't usually need insulin to need it when pregnant. Tight control of blood sugar is really important in pregnancy so if insulin is advised it can only be a good thing as it means you're getting good care.

After pregnancy, the pregnancy hormones will be gone as soon as you deliver the placenta so the increased insulin resistance will go too. In addition, breastfeeding can help sugars a lot. So it's perfectly possible you may only need insulin while pregnant.

Don't be afraid of it or worry. It's not as bad as you think and will make controlling your blood sugars a lot easier.