Commercial ice cream

Christine McMillan

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
not interested in making my own, don't like sorbet. Are there any nom-dairy ones? I know ice cream vans sell them in cones cos my ice cream van man does (I have a dairy intolerant daughter and grandson), but would like to havvsomething to eat on desserts as well as cones. Have discovered what I really like (cornettos) ought to be kept out of my house on calories alone!!

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
There's vegan ice cream made with soya milk but the name escapes me for the moment. Will post again if I remember it.

Christine McMillan

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
There's vegan ice cream made with soya milk but the name escapes me for the moment. Will post again if I remember it.

Thanks, that'll be suitably expensive then not to buy! (As a diet controlled diabetic, I can't afford to fall off a strict diet).

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks, that'll be suitably expensive then not to buy! (As a diet controlled diabetic, I can't afford to fall off a strict diet).
What diet do you follow? Oppo ice cream is relatively low carb if that's what you were after. Its not cheap but a little can go a long way.

Christine McMillan

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
What diet do you follow? Oppo ice cream is relatively low carb if that's what you were after. Its not cheap but a little can go a long way.

A healthy diet, but low gi in carbs. Husband is on diabetic medication and to be fair so far his 'numbers' have dropped so well, his meds have been halved, we eat the same but he exercises more than me, where does Oppo ice cream come ftom?

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Whilst I know churning in an ice cream maker can be a pain, at least that way you know what's in it.

I did a no-churn ice cream a while ago for my OK. The one I did for him was very rick and had quite a bit of sugar in it, but this one has no added sugar, and I would be inclined to swap out the condensed milk and swap in extra tick double cream. As the condensed milk tastes very sweet, you might need to use a little sweeter to your taste.

https://www.nigella.com/recipes/one-step-no-churn-coffee-ice-cream

Any flavouring would likely work. I know some people uses SF coffee shots (like they use in Costa and so on), but I'm not a fan myself.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
A healthy diet, but low gi in carbs. Husband is on diabetic medication and to be fair so far his 'numbers' have dropped so well, his meds have been halved, we eat the same but he exercises more than me, where does Oppo ice cream come ftom?
Frozen raspberries with some double cream on top... cream kind of freezes around the berries to mimic ice cream. minimal carbs and some nice healthy fats.

Scimama

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Frozen raspberries with some double cream on top... cream kind of freezes around the berries to mimic ice cream. minimal carbs and some nice healthy fats.

If you have a good food processor/blender this is a really easy way to make ice cream without sugar or sweetners. I like frozen raspberries with double cream and a grating of 85% chocolate - yummy. Its really quick, and easy.

Christine McMillan

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

thanks for all the suggestions. Yes, have had a couple of ice cream makers - but it was never really 'on' having to plug them into the electric so we gave that up as a lost cause some years ago. Doh : should have thought vegan. Just goes to show, 15+ yrs since daughter developed dairy intolerance, and still I forget (as she rarely eats with us)!

A

Avocado Sevenfold

Thanks (but a pity the chocolate has nuts in it). Plenty of vanilla to choose from. :)
Vegan Cornettos are being launched in Italy so we will no doubt get them in the UK eventually. I think these will contain nuts though, like the original ones.

alexmtaylor

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
thanks for all the suggestions. Yes, have had a couple of ice cream makers - but it was never really 'on' having to plug them into the electric so we gave that up as a lost cause some years ago. Doh : should have thought vegan. Just goes to show, 15+ yrs since daughter developed dairy intolerance, and still I forget (as she rarely eats with us)!
Swedish Glace is a delicious dairy free icecream available in most supermarkets. Some people have suggested pureeing frozen fruit with double cream, but if you want dairy free, use soya yogurt (Tesco's is the nicest IMO) and sweetener (I use Stevia or Xylitol). Frozen mango makes a really yummy icecream! You can make a really creamy 'soft serve' by freezing banana slices, then pureeing them (add an unfrozen banana to help get it going or some soy yogurt). No sweetener needed, but add a little vanilla essence.

DustyHoff

Type of diabetes
Type 2
not interested in making my own, don't like sorbet. Are there any nom-dairy ones? I know ice cream vans sell them in cones cos my ice cream van man does (I have a dairy intolerant daughter and grandson), but would like to havvsomething to eat on desserts as well as cones. Have discovered what I really like at Waitrose, (cornettos) ought to be kept out of my house on calories alone!!
Waiotrose, looks like non-dairy ice cream to me from the ingredients list, great chocolate flavour: "Frill The Frozen Smoothie Intense Chocolate", 8.2 grams sugar per 100 ml.

Reactions: Avocado Sevenfold

Richram

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi

My daughter is allergic to many foods inc dairy soya sesame eggs etc etc

She loves booja booja ice cream

There is also lots of recipes for using bananas to make ice cream

Reactions: Prem51