Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi

My daughter is allergic to many foods inc dairy soya sesame eggs etc etc

She loves booja booja ice cream

There is also lots of recipes for using bananas to make ice cream

Interesting! Thanks. All these suggestions are great.

Seewalk

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Frozen raspberries with some double cream on top... cream kind of freezes around the berries to mimic ice cream. minimal carbs and some nice healthy fats.
Great idea and if you whip it together it is almost berry ice cream

RosieLKH

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
We used to have an ice-cream van who would squirt it straight into a plastic tub for us so we could have it after dinner. It used to go harder in the freezer than it comes out of their nozzle, but was still nice.

Christine McMillan

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm surprised double cream is in any way allowable!! I must look it up in my carbs book. Having bern given the off the bottom of the diabetic scale after 11 years, in no way do I want to upset the apple cart. I've only ever been diet controlled, so you see ehy I'm being really strict with myself.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm surprised double cream is in any way allowable!! I must look it up in my carbs book. Having bern given the off the bottom of the diabetic scale after 11 years, in no way do I want to upset the apple cart. I've only ever been diet controlled, so you see ehy I'm being really strict with myself.
Why do you think that? Its carb count is very low (2.6g per 100ml) and it's very filling... Its one of my staples as the High Fat part of the Low Carb High Fat diet. I have 30ml in a coffee once or twice a day sometimes more especially when fasting.

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
IMG_0732.JPG Just got myself one of these

http://www.lakeland.co.uk/19279/Che...2520!&ef_id=Us6wTAAAAYyrPvaT:20170410093956:s

I got mine from eBay though for about £18 - I have made ice cream with cream, Greek yoghurt, Creme fraiche and snow cones. It's fab as you can make any flavour in a few minutes - so far I've made the usual berry flavours, vanilla, coffee and walnut, dark chocolate, cookies and cream with just a small 4g carb biscuit, Eton mess with about 1/4 meringue about 4g carb again.

Next to my spiralizer it's my favourite toy!

Christine McMillan

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Because of the introduction of 'light' cream substitutes. I have as little milk and cream as posdible, partly to be healthy, but I have found too much milk doesn't do me any favours: it may be why my daughter has a problem. (Her son has it via his paternal fsmily, poor mite!)

Christine McMillan

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Calorie counting. 1tbs double cream equals 74 calories. But it doesn't look at all 'forbidden' at one tbs for 8g of fat I'll agree. I was also told only one piece of fruit a day, keeping even natural sugar to the absolute minimum, but I find two or three fun sized suits my digestion better if I can. To be fair my GP said that as I was very young to be T2 in my mid-50s, she was going tough on me, she is proving right in getting the numbers down. It's a bit boring as spices can become too dominant when one prefers herbs to spice!

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Calorie counting. 1tbs double cream equals 74 calories. But it doesn't look at all 'forbidden' at one tbs for 8g of fat I'll agree. I was also told only one piece of fruit a day, keeping even natural sugar to the absolute minimum, but I find two or three fun sized suits my digestion better if I can. To be fair my GP said that as I was very young to be T2 in my mid-50s, she was going tough on me, she is proving right in getting the numbers down. It's a bit boring as spices can become too dominant when one prefers herbs to spice!

Calorie counting is not necessarily great for you nor is avoiding fat but its up to you..
I would suggest having a read of some of the stories in the success stories section to see how the Low Carb High Fat diet can help a lot of us Type 2's without the hunger pangs of calorie restriction (which may work for a limited period). I know that for me calorie restriction never worked for sustained weight loss and slowly led to me getting fatter and fatter over the years. Others here have different experiences but the majority ( at least I think its the majority) have more success with LCHF.

Reactions: Prem51

Christine McMillan

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
The low fat is because my weight is a bit too high, and I'm not getting it as low as it should be. Fat has probably been my bete noire since I left school, that and being very short in height in today's terms. I don't generally get hunger pains between meals, but I do eat at close to the same tines every day or I'm very bear with a sore head, I've managed mostly without snacks for years, having not worked as employed for over 30 years. But this was also me decades before diabetes. I've got to see nursie next week so will get my blood results and number. That'll tell me if I've blown it by a tiny over indulgence. Unlike 95% of T2s, I've been totally non medication since day one, 11 years. Some might say I'm pre diabetic, but as some say you can't be a little bit diabetic, its like being 'a little bit pregnant!' I've read many many stories over 11 years on all the diet choices, plus a refresher diabetes course over six weeks with the husband last year where we cane from different GPs, different cultures, different diets culturally and diabetically, and all ages. I don't seem to fit any profike!

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
The low fat is because my weight is a bit too high
Well I just lost 7 stone on a Low carb High Fat diet with cream and butter.. I know it doesn't work for absolutely everyone but has your calorie restricted diet worked for you so far? Try just cutting out as many carbs as you can and see if you start to drop a few pounds..

Christine McMillan

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Wow!! I've not eaten butter for *decades*. I've almost cut out bread, potatoes, pasta. My bread is home made brown flour, husband hasn't acquired a taste for brown rice or pasta so I only eat potato a couple of times a seek, rice and pasta maybe a couple of times a month, home made museli maybe once or twice a week, but that would've been porridge made with water till now (but will be reverting again now we've lost the heat). I lose about half a pound a year on this diet, in fact I'm now only a stone heavier than I was 33 years having been as much as 11st at my heaviest (very pleased women today are allowed to 'eat for two' in pregnancy', took me 20 years to get back to where I am now). Have used olive oil spreads since butter was labelled 'bad', long before T2 arrived in my life. Does it work? Well, it does if you wwnt eeight loss by the gram, but not in measurable amounts, no. But way back as an an active young mum with no car (still no car) walking what felt like hours a week and I lost no weight whether I ate salad all summer or casseroles and roasts all winter and still lost no weight nor put it on, I'm not sure what works. Husband would love to eat butter, he doesn't like cream, and he refuses low fst cheese, but he has been obese since a small boy as has his brother and one sister. Their dad was obese post war but his war position suggests as a young man he must've been standard weight, though broad. Husband has shed 20kg in 18 months, more to go, that's on how we eat post gis diagnosis. Only something like amounts of milk and cheese is individual. Main meals are cooked as shared. Its working for him. And he definitely needed to shift his weight: he has since aged *nine*!! No, I didn't know him then but we were at identical school types with some mutual friends (in hindsight), our diets were pretty much the same for the 1950s/60s.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Husband would love to eat butter
For blokes the LCHF diet can work wonders it seems to be more effective than for some women.
Check out this thread
http://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/category/success-stories-and-testimonials.43/
and
https://www.dietdoctor.com/low-carb
as well as
http://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/category/low-carb-diet-forum.18/

if you are interested.. huge amount of info
Just come back and ask if any questions..
Sorry to take your thread a bit off topic but hope it helps.

Reactions: marathonmona