CONCERNED ABOUT FRIENDS GLUCOSE JUMPS

huera

Type of diabetes
Friend
Treatment type
Insulin
I AM EXTREMELY CONCERNED ABOUT MY FRIENDS GLUCOSE LEVELS. HE IS EITHER REALLY HIGH OR REALLY LOW. HE WAS EVEN HOSPITALIZED ABOUT 2 MONTHS AGO BECAUSE HIS GLUCOSE DROPPED SO LOW THAT HE WAS TAKEN TO THE HOSPITAL BY AMBULANCE AFTER HE FELL OUT ON PUBLIC TRANSPORTATION. HE DIDNT EVEN KNOW HOW HE GOT THERE. HE TAKES LANTUS AND HUMALOG. DOES ANYBODY KNOW WHY THIS IS HAPPENING ? I THOUGHT THE INSULIN WAS SUPPOSED TO LEVEL SOMEONE OUT

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Hi Huera, what you describe is likely to be someone who is not controlling their diabetes well. The alternative is what is described as brittle diabetes.

Insulin only "levels someone out" if they take the time and effort to understand what they need and how much to apply.

What sort of diet does your friend eat? Does he test his blood sugars regularly?

Ultimately only they can change their control however having the support of a good friend who at least understands what diabetes is and how to maintain a better balance will be extremely helpful. Browse the forum to find out more.

Reactions: 2 people

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
I THOUGHT THE INSULIN WAS SUPPOSED TO LEVEL SOMEONE OUT

It does provided you take the correct dose, too little insulin and you end up with high blood glucose levels and too much will can lead to hypo's, both are difficult to avoid completely but high and low bg levels can be controlled somewhat with the right knowledge and skills in place.

Has your friend done a carb counting course such as DAFNE (Google for more info) if not then he should put his name down to enrol on the course, he can do this through his diabetes team, however in the mean-time he can come on the forum and ask for advice or he may want to register with the following which is an on-line version of the DAFNE course:

http://www.bdec-e-learning.com/