Concerned

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
It improved mine significantly because my HDL (good cholesterol) jumped up and my triglycerides (the baddies) went right down.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Overall mine went up a bit.. but as we all know total cholesterol is meaningless.. however HDL went up and Trigs went down.. so a win win for my body.

Geordie_P

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I had monumentally high triglycerides when I was first diagnosed (32.7) the doctor took it as a considerably more urgent matter than the T2 in fact, but I went on a low-calorie, very low-carb diet, and my cholesterol numbers got back within the normal range quite quickly. I did also go from drinking quite heavily to teetotal, so that would be a factor, but certainly I upped my egg, meat and cheese intake greatly, and it didn't slow my recovery at all.
There may be problems with processed meat or too much protein etc, but as far as I have read or experienced, if you can lay off trans-fats and the starches which contribute to NAFLD, then LCHF should be good for cholesterol. Low-carb *moderate* fat might be another way of wording it if overeating is a concern: for me, eating less of everything is always the goal. Still, I'd certainly trust 2 or 3 fried eggs over a bowl of oatmeal.

Reactions: Bluetit1802

AM1874

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Not much
Hi @Mikimisko ..
LCHF lowers cholesterol .. have a look at the readings in my signature block (below) to see
I should point out,though that, for me, LCHF is a lifestyle - NOT a diet. What this means is that I combine my low-carb eating with exercise every day and 16-8 IF (intermittent fasting), which means I only eat between 11.00am and 7.00pm .. and that's either 2 meals and sometimes a snack or 3 smaller meals. I aim for less than 30g Carbs a day (usually hit about 20-25g) and, for protein, I try to maintain a maximum of 1 grams per Kg of my body weight .. currently this is around 70-75 grams per day. The rest of my food intake is fat .. and I simply eat enough to satisfy my hunger.

I suggest that you read up on the discussion on the Low Carb Diet forum helpful .. together with the following Diet Doctor websites, which will give you all the info that you need about carb levels and about what and what not to eat ...
Low Carb Intro and Information and Low Carbs in 60 Seconds

Hope this helps

Mikimisko

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Thank you very much Geordie_P, for your answer & particularly that you illustrated your amazing results.
Way I have been concerned about my cholesterol, because I stopped my medications all at once about 6 months ago. That was medicine for heigh blood pressure, cholesterol & for T-2. I did notice immediately improvement in my BG, but my blood pressure went up, both higher one & lower one, I don't panic immediately & that lasted only abou for a one month, after comeback to very normal, even better than before used to be with medication. But I am not very happy with my cholesterol, all parameters went up, where I shouldn't be & still continue up, even as I am in panicking mode, so I am trying to cheat on very faty food, I am concerned will stop going up.
I don't have weight problem, maybe I am little bit under, seance I started to control carbs.