Conflicting Information from DSN's

scotlady

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
It may encourage you to know that I was diagnosed 48 years ago at the age of 22 and I must at that point have been pretty close to a coma. I was hastily taken off to hospital for 2 weeks of learning all about insulin, diabetes, urine testing (which was all there was for patients in those days). To be honest there wasn't that much to learn as there wasn't a lot known! It was horrendous - and terrifying. I was delighted however to discover I no longer needed my glasses and my vision was perfect. It didn't last more than a few days and I was soon back to needing them as my eyes readjusted. 48 years later I have no sign of retinopathy or kidney damage and I think that alarmist DSN who tried to dissuade you from bringing down your blood sugars was crazy. Shiba Park's question "Did the DSN say it would affect your eyes or affect your eyes permanently?" is very pertinent and one you need to ask. Good luck on Thursday SJ and don't leave until you have answers to all your questions.

SJGrieves

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Update for you all...

I had an appointment with my consultant (my regular consultant much to my relief). He said bringing my HbA1c down to 53 by summer was very exaggerated, he checked my HbA1c while I was there and it has came down to 84. He's very happy with this and not concerned about my eyes, because I have an appointment with the eye clinic in September, he was comfortable that if there were any issues they would be highlighted then. He's happy with my aiming for a blood sugar range between 5-8mmols. He also said in his experience hes never heard of any problems with the kidneys from lowering blood sugar too quickly. Hes checked my kidneys and bloods and everything is normal. So hes happy with me actively trying in November this year if I carry on the way I'm going.
Hes basically confirmed everything my diabetic midwife has said. I feel so happy now that I have spoke to him, and know I'm on the right track.
I'd have had a horrible week if it wasn't for all of you giving me advice and sharing your experiences, thank you all so much

PeeBee12

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Insulin
I've been following your posts and sympathise with the frustration caused by 'experts' disagreeing with each other in their advice to you (shame we can't get them in a room and let them thrase it out!). I'm pleased that you now have some firm advice on the way forward.
Best wishes for the future.

Reactions: SJGrieves