confused about t1.5

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
joining this forum today was the first time i'd ever heard of type 1.5, what confuses me is that insulin dependency can be for only 6 months? i'm confused... i mean, my endo told me i have "type one and two" because i have type one with insulin resistance, but from what i read, t1s can't get resistant?

Diakat

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
T1s can get resistance.

catapillar

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I have a feeling you might be talking about two different things?
  1. Type 1.5 is slow onset type 1 - the insulin producing beta cells are dying off, but slowly, so type 1.5s have a long honeymoon period where they are making their own insulin for a while. Sometimes a type 1.5 might have a particularly strong honeymoon and be able to avoid insulin for a little while, but they will become insulin dependent eventually.
  2. "Double diabetes" is where someone is type 1 AND is insulin resistant - not sure where you have read that that is not possible, but unfortunately it is possible for a type 1 to be insulin resistant, for the same reasons anyone else might be insulin resistant - weight, activity, hormones, shift work, stress etc etc
Sounds like your consultant is saying you might have double diabetes - which is a different, separate, thing from type 1.5

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. I agree with @catapillar. My T1.5 took a good few years to develop and whilst tablets worked for a while insulin eventually became necessary.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I have a feeling you might be talking about two different things?
  1. Type 1.5 is slow onset type 1 - the insulin producing beta cells are dying off, but slowly, so type 1.5s have a long honeymoon period where they are making their own insulin for a while. Sometimes a type 1.5 might have a particularly strong honeymoon and be able to avoid insulin for a little while, but they will become insulin dependent eventually.
  2. "Double diabetes" is where someone is type 1 AND is insulin resistant - not sure where you have read that that is not possible, but unfortunately it is possible for a type 1 to be insulin resistant, for the same reasons anyone else might be insulin resistant - weight, activity, hormones, shift work, stress etc etc
Sounds like your consultant is saying you might have double diabetes - which is a different, separate, thing from type 1.5
ahhhhh thank you, that really helped clear it up for me.