Confused.com.

Freema

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks, I am still making some progress - home hba1C 50.8 yesterday, weight 94.5 kg - two weeks to go before my next formal medical fingers crossed - it would be lovely to get into the pre-diabetic range by then - I suspect my accident might have slowed down the improvements a little - given the stress and continuing pain, but one can hope.

There are two tests for " inflammation" .

Until recently I had not appreciated the clinical significance of " inflammation" - i.e. it being a marker for all sorts of things going wrong in the body across multiple diseases. Thus if either of the two markers improve - you know that your health in general is improving. If your blood tests show a marked deterioration in either then one should try and find out what is causing it if possible instead of finding it was an undetected cancer or other disease further down the line.

There are two tests -Erythrocyte Sedimentation Rate "ESR" and Creative Reactive Protein "CRP " both should be low. ESR is more long term and CSR more immediately reactive. ( by way of example when I had sepsis a few years ago my CRP went from 5 to 400 for a few days and I was hospitalised .

I have attached the links to the two tests below.
https://labtestsonline.org/understanding/analytes/crp/tab/test/
https://labtestsonline.org/understanding/analytes/esr/tab/test/

if you are having blood tests done, it makes sense to include these in the list if you can and then follow up as necessary. .

Thank you I cross my Fingers for you , Thank you for This fine and informative answer I will read it more intensively when I get home today. You are doing a great job I am sure your GP will be very impressed

Reactions: ziggy_w

CherryAA

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
You are welcome, if I get as far as you I will be well pleased :)

Freema

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
You are welcome, if I get as far as you I will be well pleased :)
you will I know that from what you already do... and by the way i really enjoy your note of the 6 % whisky ;), made me take my occasional afternoon whisky today.... do mostly take it when my numbers are the highest in the mornings...like once or twice a week... now i know what to say I wish for as Christmas pressents from my sister and brother , think i´ll end up as an whisky Expert in my old days :):):)

CherryAA

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
you will I know that from what you already do... and by the way i really enjoy your note of the 6 % whisky ;), made me take my occasional afternoon whisky today.... do mostly take it when my numbers are the highest in the mornings...like once or twice a week... now i know what to say I wish for as Christmas pressents from my sister and brother , think i´ll end up as an whisky Expert in my old days :):):)

Thanks Freema,

I must admit I've had Xmas hampers for Xmas for the last couple of years with the result that I have enough breakfast marmalade, jam and mustard to last me several lifetimes . This year I am going to be sending out a note . I only want one type of present from anyone xmas . Single malt whisky, any variety and whatever size you deem appropriate ! I kinda like the 6% whiskey too - it injects a necessary bit of levity into what is a pretty serious situation - you gotta laugh in the face of adversity - especially when nursing broken limbs too .... its all gone quite beyond a joke really, but I spit on you adversity !

Freema

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Racket and CherryAA I have been afraid of fats too and still am a bit but even more afraid of having higher blood glucose numbers so now I go in the high fat direction but mostly like fatty fish and nuts . I still haven't gotten my cholesterol numbers this latest time which surprised me thought it was standard measurement in diabetes .

When doing low calories it is much easier to get ones numbers down to normal and I wonder if I can keep them that low when in the end having to eat almost the dubble as I do now . But I wait worrying about that til I have lost all my excess weight totally and meanwhile I try to get into the best shape ever both to help my diabetes the most and also to try to avoid the loose skin from weightloss being too much of a handicap in the end But if nessescary I'll have it cut OFF.

And Yes CherryAA we are the only ones that can make this jorney joyfull and single malt can make a difference to a few of us , just hope we can keep the dose low enough ;-)

Last edited:

MikeTurin

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
^^^
I've posted a link of a series of reports made by Italian television "Indovina chi viene a cena" "Guess Who's Coming to Dinner" telling about the making of food you find on mall shelves. When talking about fats I think that the ones in heavily processed food could cause problem because are cheap and low quality. If the fat you're eating is from olive oil, peanuts and trout is a thing, if the fat is an hydrogenated in random amount from a snack is another. The same thing could be said from carboyhdrates. A sugary drink or an orange are quite different, I think.

Liam1955

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Anti-Gay People, Self Centre People, Two Faced People and Bad Language.
Hello @Racket and Welcome to the Forum :).

CherryAA

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Racket and CherryAA I have been afraid of fats too and still am a bit but even more afraid of having higher blood glucose numbers so now I go in the high fat direction but mostly like fatty fish and nuts . I still haven't gotten my cholesterol numbers this latest time which surprised me thought it was standard measurement in diabetes .

When doing low calories it is much easier to get ones numbers down to normal and I wonder if I can keep them that low when in the end having to eat almost the dubble as I do now . But I wait worrying about that til I have lost all my excess weight totally and meanwhile I try to get into the best shape ever both to help my diabetes the most and also to try to avoid the loose skin from weightloss being too much of a handicap in the end But if nessescary I'll have it cut OFF.

And Yes CherryAA we are the only ones that can make this jorney joyfull and single malt can make a difference to a few of us , just hope we can keep the dose low enough ;-)

well Freema, I embraced fat with gay abandon, steak, pork chops, lamb, bone marrow, nuts - chicken skin ( without the chicken ! ) my cholesterol shot down from 5.5 to 4.5 in 6 weeks as below, my latest home test says about 3.6 which is worrying me a bit as that seems to be too low . In any event in my N=1 case, if you want to bring down cholesterol go be Jack Sprat's wife and steal all the fat !

Freema

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
well Freema, I embraced fat with gay abandon, steak, pork chops, lamb, bone marrow, nuts - chicken skin ( without the chicken ! ) my cholesterol shot down from 5.5 to 4.5 in 6 weeks as below, my latest home test says about 3.6 which is worrying me a bit as that seems to be too low . In any event in my N=1 case, if you want to bring down cholesterol go be Jack Sprat's wife and steal all the fat !

:happy::happy::happy::happy::happy::happy::happy::happy:I do already eat higher fats but mostly from plants and fish, like nuts and olives and coconuts

CherryAA

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
well, maybe you need a pork chop ! the body seems to be a very odd thing in terms of saying "yeah i know you ate some fat - but you didn't eat it in this precise way that means I can give up on some of my precious cholesterol " though frankly it seems like people worry too much abut cholesterol anyway when its yet another thing we've been told that may well be wrong.