1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2017 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Guest, Royal Holloway, University of London are conducting a study to understand how people with diabetes create and share knowledge online. Get involved here »
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Confused newbie question.

Discussion in 'Newly Diagnosed' started by Nefadiva_, Nov 6, 2017.

1. Nefadiva_

Nefadiva_ Prediabetes · Newbie

Hello all.

I became suddenly ill, flu like symptoms without the actual flu, and had a whole heap of bloods done.

Received the call to do fasting glucose as my random was 9.9. Fasting came back 7.6 with hba1c 6.6.

I developed horrendous abdominal pain and the GP put me on antibiotics for a liver infection (as my bloods showed massive markers but these were ignored in favour of jumping on the blood sugars) and told me to ignore the BG results due to the infection.

Well I ignored him and got a monitor as I was feeling so ill.

I have been monitoring regularly and it goes between 6.2 and 8.1. I was already on a low carb/no sugar diet due to other medical issues and have not changed from that.

My problem is that I have been very symptomatic over the last few days and today has been horrendous, nausea, headache, barely staying awake, confusion at points. My readings have been between 6.2 and 7.8. Should I be feeling this symptomatic on those readings? Do I need to get back to the GP and push for meds?

Any advice would be great appreciated thank you.

• Hug Hug x 1
  2. Mark_1

Mark_1 · Well-Known Member

I'd go back to your GP.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  3. Chook

Chook Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Yes, so would I!

What you are experiencing probably isn't related to your blood sugars as those levels are reasonably okay - but I'm not a doctor and it really does sound like you need professional medical advice.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Nefadiva_

Thank you for your advice. I am so confused by what's happening , I wasn't sure if it was normal diabetic feeling or something more sinister so I will go back to the GP.

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. Chook

Chook Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I think I'd avoid driving or riding a bike until you aren't so symptomatic :)

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Nefadiva_

Thanks to a different pre existing condition, I already can't do those things

• Hug Hug x 2
  7. Bluetit1802

Bluetit1802 Type 2 · Oracle

I agree. You need to go back to the doctor. With those sort of levels it is highly unlikely to be diabetes related. You have a nasty infection - and that could be the reason. Or maybe a reaction to the antibiotics. Whatever, you need to see the doctor,

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. Daibell

Daibell Type 1.5 · Expert

Hi. I agree it's unlikely to be due to those blood sugar levels which are actually very good. Time to see the GP to find out what the problem is.

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook