Debzz_

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diabetes ha ha
Hi everyone !
I was told I was diabetic Type 2 2 weeks ago after I visited out of hours for a very nasty water infection . I had bloods done last week and seeing doctor again tomorrow. Surgery rang today as they were concerned about my results . It's taken nearly two weeks to get this far ! I know the NHS are struggling but to leave some one in 'limbo' I think is awful . I've been eating sensibly and borrowed an accu reader . My readings are 12 - 14 in the morning 15- 18 after food .
I hope to get some better answers tomorrow I'm feeling very stressed today ☹️

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi Debzz and welcome to the forum,

The way you are feeling now is normal. Most of us felt that way when first diagnosed, but it gets better very quickly, and you have arrived at the best place for support and advice. We are all diabetics of one sort or another with vast experience between us, so who better to try to help and ask questions of!

The first thing you may learn is that your healthy diet probably isn't as healthy as you thought. You would be surprised how many newly diagnosed believe they eat healthily - wholemeal, low fat, plenty of carbs. I won't bombard you with all that now though. Plenty of time later once the stress and confusion has died down.

When you see your doctor tomorrow, do ask him for a print out of all your test results (HbA1c, glucose, cholesterol and lipids, kidney and liver functions and anything else you had). Also ask if his surgery puts test results on-line as all surgeries in England were asked to do before April 2016, although some are a bit behind. You will be having many blood tests in the future, and it is important to be able to compare results to know if you are improving. Otherwise you will be working blind.

Good that you were able to borrow a meter. If your doctor won't prescribe you with one and tells you not to test, ignore him and buy your own. They are essential tools for us.

I'll now tag @daisy1 to come and post her very useful information given to all newcomers. Have a good read and follow the links.

Reactions: Prem51 and AM1874

AM1874

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Not much
Hi @Debzz_ .. and welcome
If you are planning to test your BG levels, you may find the following helpful ...
I was given the website at: https://homehealth-uk.com/product-category/blood-glucose/ for the SD Codefree meter and I ordered one which arrived a couple of weeks ago. While I was waiting for this I also found the website at: http://spirit-healthcare.co.uk/product/tee2-blood-glucose-meter/ who distribute the TEE 2 meter, which is free. I have been using both for comparative purposes since Feb 16th .. I have not had a difference greater than 0.1mmol on any test

In a recent email, I received details of the new T2 testing programme offer: https://www.type2testing.com. This also has a free meter with test strips and lancets available for either quarterly or annual delivery (paid in advance). The strips and lancets seem reasonably priced .. just a little bit more expensive than other similar offers .. so I think I'll stick with my TEE 2 package.
My recommendation is that the TEE 2 is a little easier to understand and a bit more user-friendly The strips and lancets are relatively cheap and there's a free USB lead and CD programme for recording and monitoring your results.
Hope this helps

Reactions: Prem51 and Liam1955

Catlady19

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hello and welcome to the forum, you have come to the right place. I found out the same way, I had a nasty urine infection and the nurse said I had sugar in my urine and I must visit the doctor after the weekend. As soon as the results came back, my doctor phoned me to give me the results and left me feeling quite shocked.
Everyone experiences this at first, don't panic, all will become clearer over time. Hopefully @daisy1 will send you some information shortly.
In the meantime, most people on this forum will advise low carbing - you should cut out or significantly reduce sugar (obviously), rice, pasta, bread and potatoes, this will help to lower your blood glucose and make you feel better.
Loads of advice and recipes on here - good luck!

Reactions: Liam1955

Debzz_

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diabetes ha ha
Hi Debzz and welcome to the forum,

The way you are feeling now is normal. Most of us felt that way when first diagnosed, but it gets better very quickly, and you have arrived at the best place for support and advice. We are all diabetics of one sort or another with vast experience between us, so who better to try to help and ask questions of!

The first thing you may learn is that your healthy diet probably isn't as healthy as you thought. You would be surprised how many newly diagnosed believe they eat healthily - wholemeal, low fat, plenty of carbs. I won't bombard you with all that now though. Plenty of time later once the stress and confusion has died down.

When you see your doctor tomorrow, do ask him for a print out of all your test results (HbA1c, glucose, cholesterol and lipids, kidney and liver functions and anything else you had). Also ask if his surgery puts test results on-line as all surgeries in England were asked to do before April 2016, although some are a bit behind. You will be having many blood tests in the future, and it is important to be able to compare results to know if you are improving. Otherwise you will be working blind.

Good that you were able to borrow a meter. If your doctor won't prescribe you with one and tells you not to test, ignore him and buy your own. They are essential tools for us.

I'll now tag @daisy1 to come and post her very useful information given to all newcomers. Have a good read and follow the links.
Thankyou ! I was meant to have an op last week for carpal Tunnel but it was cancelled due to all this - however I'm now doubting it is carpal trouble . It's all been so stressful tbh .

Debzz_

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diabetes ha ha
Hello and welcome to the forum, you have come to the right place. I found out the same way, I had a nasty urine infection and the nurse said I had sugar in my urine and I must visit the doctor after the weekend. As soon as the results came back, my doctor phoned me to give me the results and left me feeling quite shocked.
Everyone experiences this at first, don't panic, all will become clearer over time. Hopefully @daisy1 will send you some information shortly.
In the meantime, most people on this forum will advise low carbing - you should cut out or significantly reduce sugar (obviously), rice, pasta, bread and potatoes, this will help to lower your blood glucose and make you feel better.
Loads of advice and recipes on here - good luck!
Thank you Catlady - I'm annoyed it's taking so long - I'm a bit stubborn going to the doctors and in general I've always been healthy until about a year ago . I've cut down on my carbs - it's tricky isn't it lol

Liam1955

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Anti-Gay People, Self Centre People, Two Faced People and Bad Language.
Hello @Debzz_ and Welcome to the Forum :). Should you not be provided with a Blood Glucose Meter from your GP Surgery?
The SD Codefree Blood Glucose Meter is popular on this forum. The Test Strips are the cheapest to buy - and if you buy in bulk they work out even cheaper.
Always state you are Diabetic for vat exemption.
And in the UK we use mmol/L
http://homehealth-uk.com/all-products/codefree-blood-glucose
These are the discount codes for test strips = bulk buying.
5 packs = 264986. 10 packs. = 975833

Also, alot of Forum Members follow the LCHF Diet (Low Carb High Fat) it lowers the HBA1C, Blood Sugars and helps to loose weight.
http://www.dietdoctor.com/low-carb/60-seconds
http://www.dietdoctor.com/lchf

Debzz_

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diabetes ha ha
I am seeing the doctor tomorrow to sort out meds etc so will have more idea then . Thankyou for your info it all helps .

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.
Hello @Debzz_ and welcome to the forum. I know how confused I was about everything when I was first diagnosed. You've done better than me, my way of dealing with it after diagnosis was to ignore it for six months (apart from taking the Metformin tablets). I hoped that it would just go away - it didn't.

Please do ask any questions that you have about diet or anything diabetes related. You might find that your diabetes nurse or GP will suggest you eat healthy low GI carbs at every meal which, actually, isn't the best diet for diabetics - but I see you've made a start at cutting back on carbs - so well done!

Debzz_

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diabetes ha ha
Hello @Debzz_ and welcome to the forum. I know how confused I was about everything when I was first diagnosed. You've done better than me, my way of dealing with it after diagnosis was to ignore it for six months (apart from taking the Metformin tablets). I hoped that it would just go away - it didn't.

Please do ask any questions that you have about diet or anything diabetes related. You might find that your diabetes nurse or GP will suggest you eat healthy low GI carbs at every meal which, actually, isn't the best diet for diabetics - but I see you've made a start at cutting back on carbs - so well done!
Hi ! Thankyou for your reply - low carb diet is very strange isn't it - can have cheese and cream but not pasta or rice ! I could give up spuds but will struggle with no alternative argggg lol

Buttons11

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I know how you feel Debzz. My Dr told me on 21st Feb that I was diabetic and needed to see the diabetic nurse, but the next appointment I could have is 24th March. After I went away and felt depressed for a few days I pulled my socks up and got on the internet. I have been following a lchf diet and lost 2.6kg in the last week. I've ordered a monitor and I'm getting excited for it to arrive :) My Dr said my fasting blood was 13, but she never told me what my hbaA1c was, and I didn't know enough to ask for it...
Hope your Dr is helpful tomorrow

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi ! Thankyou for your reply - low carb diet is very strange isn't it - can have cheese and cream but not pasta or rice ! I could give up spuds but will struggle with no alternative argggg lol

Yes, it is hard to get your head round it after years of brainwashing and poor NHS dietary advice, but once you give it a try and see the amazing results, you will understand and find it easy. Just have a read of all the success stories.

Debzz_

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diabetes ha ha
I know how you feel Debzz. My Dr told me on 21st Feb that I was diabetic and needed to see the diabetic nurse, but the next appointment I could have is 24th March. After I went away and felt depressed for a few days I pulled my socks up and got on the internet. I have been following a lchf diet and lost 2.6kg in the last week. I've ordered a monitor and I'm getting excited for it to arrive :) My Dr said my fasting blood was 13, but she never told me what my hbaA1c was, and I didn't know enough to ask for it...
Hope your Dr is helpful tomorrow
A month ! That's disgusting isn't it , my fasting blood is 13 too - receptionist rang me earlier saying if I felt ill to go to hospital- that doesn't help at all !

AM1874

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Not much
Hello @Debzz_ and Welcome to the Forum :). Should you not be provided with a Blood Glucose Meter from your GP Surgery?
The SD Codefree Blood Glucose Meter is popular on this forum. The Test Strips are the cheapest to buy - and if you buy in bulk they work out even cheaper.
Always state you are Diabetic for vat exemption.
And in the UK we use mmol/L
http://homehealth-uk.com/all-products/codefree-blood-glucose
These are the discount codes for test strips = bulk buying.
5 packs = 264986. 10 packs. = 975833

Hi @Debzz_
I hope that you are provided with a BG testing meter by your GP Surgery .. however, a lot of folk are not. I suppose it's down to money (or lack of) but, in the short time that I have been on the forum, I have heard some odd reasons that people have been given such as: "there's no need to test unless you are Type 1" and personally, I have been told that I will not be given a meter because I'm on Metformin "so I don't need one". If you do decide to organise a meter yourself, @liam1955 is correct, the strips and lancets for the SD Codefree are cheapest .. but only by a matter of a few pence, unless you buy the bulk packages .. plus the meter itself costs £11.99 while other options like the TEE 2 are free. In any event , it's your choice but I would recommend that if you are not given one, you should organise a meter yourself. Check around the forum for more advice and info
Hope this helps

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.

There are alternatives....

Cauliflower rice instead of normal rice
Courgetti (spiralized courgette) instead of spaghetti
Cauliflower or celeriac mash instead of mashed potatoes
Roasted celeriac or roast cauliflower instead of rosaries
Lidl Protein Rolls instead of normal bread

You can also get some rice or noodle shaped konjac (no, I haven't got a clue what it is) but it's carb free and virtually flavour free although I prefer cauliflower rice.

You can even make low carb cakes (including a truely amazing Christmas cake) :) just have a look at the low carb section of the forum as there are loads of great recipes.

Have you had a chance yet to look at dietdoctor.com - there's some great recipes there for all the different levels of low carbing.

AM1874

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Not much
A month ! That's disgusting isn't it , my fasting blood is 13 too - receptionist rang me earlier saying if I felt ill to go to hospital- that doesn't help at all !
Hi @Debzz_ ..
Yes .. it is disgusting but, sadly, it's not unusual. I was diagnosed on Feb 7th and, to date, I have had no information at all, seen no-one, and been told nothing .. there isn't even a leaflet anywhere to be seen in my surgery. I did have an appointment arranged with the Diabetic Nurse last Monday but that was cancelled because she was off sick. I have now had a second blood test (taken by a nursing assistant) and I have an appointment with my Doc on Friday, then the Dietitian on 23rd. That's why I have taken the position that I referred to in an earlier post that you might find useful ...
http://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/taking-the-driving-seat.116651/
Hope this helps

daisy1

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Cruelty towards animals.
@Debzz_

Hello and welcome to the Forum :) Here is the Basic Information we give to new members and I hope this will help you. Ask as many questions as you want and someone will reply.

BASIC INFORMATION FOR NEWLY DIAGNOSED DIABETICS

Diabetes is the general term to describe people who have blood that is sweeter than normal. A number of different types of diabetes exist.

A diagnosis of diabetes tends to be a big shock for most of us. It’s far from the end of the world though and on this forum you'll find well over 147,000 people who are demonstrating this.

On the forum we have found that with the number of new people being diagnosed with diabetes each day, sometimes the NHS is not being able to give all the advice it would perhaps like to deliver - particularly with regards to people with type 2 diabetes.

The role of carbohydrate

Carbohydrates are a factor in diabetes because they ultimately break down into sugar (glucose) within our blood. We then need enough insulin to either convert the blood sugar into energy for our body, or to store the blood sugar as body fat.

If the amount of carbohydrate we take in is more than our body’s own (or injected) insulin can cope with, then our blood sugar will rise.

The bad news

Research indicates that raised blood sugar levels over a period of years can lead to organ damage, commonly referred to as diabetic complications.

The good news

People on the forum here have shown that there is plenty of opportunity to keep blood sugar levels from going too high. It’s a daily task but it’s within our reach and it’s well worth the effort.

Controlling your carbs

The info below is primarily aimed at people with type 2 diabetes, however, it may also be of benefit for other types of diabetes as well.

There are two approaches to controlling your carbs:
  • Reduce your carbohydrate intake
  • Choose ‘better’ carbohydrates
Reduce your carbohydrates

A large number of people on this forum have chosen to reduce the amount of carbohydrates they eat as they have found this to be an effective way of improving (lowering) their blood sugar levels.

The carbohydrates which tend to have the most pronounced effect on blood sugar levels tend to be starchy carbohydrates such as rice, pasta, bread, potatoes and similar root vegetables, flour based products (pastry, cakes, biscuits, battered food etc) and certain fruits.

Choosing better carbohydrates

The low glycaemic index diet is often favoured by healthcare professionals but some people with diabetes find that low GI does not help their blood sugar enough and may wish to cut out these foods altogether.

Read more on carbohydrates and diabetes.

Over 145,000 people have taken part in the Low Carb Program - a free 10 week structured education course that is helping people lose weight and reduce medication dependency by explaining the science behind carbs, insulin and GI.

Eating what works for you

Different people respond differently to different types of food. What works for one person may not work so well for another. The best way to see which foods are working for you is to test your blood sugar with a glucose meter.

To be able to see what effect a particular type of food or meal has on your blood sugar is to do a test before the meal and then test after the meal. A test 2 hours after the meal gives a good idea of how your body has reacted to the meal.

The blood sugar ranges recommended by NICE are as follows:

Blood glucose ranges for type 2 diabetes
  • Before meals: 4 to 7 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 8.5 mmol/l
Blood glucose ranges for type 1 diabetes (adults)
  • Before meals: 4 to 7 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 9 mmol/l
Blood glucose ranges for type 1 diabetes (children)
  • Before meals: 4 to 8 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 10 mmol/l
However, those that are able to, may wish to keep blood sugar levels below the NICE after meal targets.

Access to blood glucose test strips

The NICE guidelines suggest that people newly diagnosed with type 2 diabetes should be offered:

• structured education to every person and/or their carer at and around the time of diagnosis, with annual reinforcement and review
  • self-monitoring of plasma glucose to a person newly diagnosed with type 2 diabetes only as an integral part of his or her self-management education

Therefore both structured education and self-monitoring of blood glucose should be offered to people with type 2 diabetes. Read more on getting access to blood glucose testing supplies.

You may also be interested to read questions to ask at a diabetic clinic.

Note: This post has been edited from Sue/Ken's post to include up to date information.

Take part in Diabetes.co.uk digital education programs and improve your understanding. They're all free.
  • Low Carb Program - it's made front-page news of the New Scientist and The Times. Developed with 20,000 people with type 2 diabetes; 96% of people who take part recommend it... find out why :)
  • Hypo Program - improve your understanding of hypos. There's a version for people with diabetes, parents/guardians of children with type 1, children with type 1 diabetes, teachers and HCPs.

Bs0lth

Type of diabetes
Type 2

If you want a rice alternative cauliflower rice is great. To make it I blitz the flowers in food processor until they look like rice, then cook it in the microwave... Just stick it in a bowl and cook it for 2-3 mins, you don't need water and I haven't covered mine... It's really nice... Also if you fry it in a wok it's good to... It's really helped me

Reactions: Debzz_ and Liam1955

Daphne917

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I make a lasagne using courgettes instead of pasta sheets. However you need to salt the sliced courgettes for at least half an hour to get the liquid out of them.

Reactions: Debzz_