confused

kknl

Hi,

I was diagnosed with Type 2 Diabetes 3 weeks ago. My result was 9.3 - is this very high?

I had an infection at the time when I went to get my blood tests done.. could this have an affect on my test results?

Thanks

Snodger

Hi there,

someone with t2 will be along soon to advise, no doubt (I'm a t1) but in the meantime:
9.3 is fairly high, although some of us are much higher at diagnosis (in the 20s or even 30s).
A non diabetic would have a fasting blood sugar of roughly 4 to 6.
Infections can make blood sugar rise, that's true, but in a non-diabetic the body would respond and keep it under control. So if you are wondering whether the diagnosis was correct, the infection wouldn't make a difference to that.

I'm not sure I've explained that very well so please say if you'd like me to have another go!

Grazer

kknl said:
My result was 9.3 - is this very high?
Depends on what type of blood test you had. Was it a fasting blood test or an HbA1c test? You need to know I think and it's easy for them to tell you. 9.2 is quite high for an HbA1c although I've heard of much higher, but not particularly high for a first fasting blood test when you haven't been taking steps to lower your blood sugar and deal with your diabetes. Snodgers right, you're still diabetic either way, but as you get used to dealing with it and talking to others on this forum, it will be useful to know what sort of test it was.

daisy1

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Cruelty towards animals.
Hi kknl and welcome to the forum :)

Your BG level was high but with care and a good diet you can get it down. You need to get it down below 7 at least as that's when the risk of complications starts. I like to have mine in the 5s but am not successful at the moment although it was in the 5s a little while ago. I am a type 2. Here is some basic information which should get you started on good control of your diabetes. Ask as many questions as you like as someone usually has the answer.

BASIC INFORMATION FOR NEWLY DIAGNOSED DIABETICS

Diabetes is the general term to describe people who have blood that is sweeter than normal. A number of different types of diabetes exist.

A diagnosis of diabetes tends to be a big shock for most of us. It’s far from the end of the world though and on this forum you’ll find well over 30,000 people who are demonstrating this.

On the forum we have found that with the number of new people being diagnosed with diabetes each day, sometimes the NHS is not being able to give all the advice it would perhaps like to deliver - particularly with regards to people with type 2 diabetes.

The role of carbohydrate

Carbohydrates are a factor in diabetes because they ultimately break down into sugar (glucose) within our blood. We then need enough insulin to either convert the blood sugar into energy for our body, or to store the blood sugar as body fat.

If the amount of carbohydrate we take in is more than our body’s own (or injected) insulin can cope with, then our blood sugar will rise.

The bad news

Research indicates that raised blood sugar levels over a period of years can lead to organ damage, commonly referred to as diabetic complications.

The good news

People on the forum here have shown that there is plenty of opportunity to keep blood sugar levels from going too high. It’s a daily task but it’s within our reach and it’s well worth the effort.

Controlling your carbs

The info below is primarily aimed at people with type 2 diabetes, however, it may also be of benefit for other types of diabetes as well.
There are two approaches to controlling your carbs:

• Reduce your carbohydrate intake
  • Choose ‘better’ carbohydrates
Reduce your carbohydrates
A large number of people on this forum have chosen to reduce the amount of carbohydrates they eat as they have found this to be an effective way of improving (lowering) their blood sugar levels.

The carbohydrates which tend to have the most pronounced effect on blood sugar levels tend to be starchy carbohydrates such as rice, pasta, bread, potatoes and similar root vegetables, flour based products (pastry, cakes, biscuits, battered food etc) and certain fruits.

Choosing better carbohydrates

Another option is to replace ‘white carbohydrates’ (such as white bread, white rice, white flour etc) with whole grain varieties. The idea behind having whole grain varieties is that the carbohydrates get broken down slower than the white varieties –and these are said to have a lower glycaemic index.
http://www.diabetes.co.uk/food/diabetes ... rains.html

The low glycaemic index diet is often favoured by healthcare professionals but some people with diabetes find that low GI does not help their blood sugar enough and may wish to cut out these foods altogether.

Read more on carbohydrates and diabetes

Eating what works for you

Different people respond differently to different types of food. What works for one person may not work so well for another. The best way to see which foods are working for you is to test your blood sugar with a glucose meter.

To be able to see what effect a particular type of food or meal has on your blood sugar is to do a test before the meal and then test after the meal. A test 2 hours after the meal gives a good idea of how your body has reacted to the meal.

The blood sugar ranges recommended by NICE are as follows:

Blood glucose ranges for type 2 diabetes
  • Before meals: 4 to 7 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 8.5 mmol/l
Blood glucose ranges for type 1 diabetes (adults)
  • Before meals: 4 to 7 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 9 mmol/l
Blood glucose ranges for type 1 diabetes (children)
  • Before meals: 4 to 8 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 10 mmol/l
However, those that are able to, may wish to keep blood sugar levels below the NICE after meal targets.

Access to blood glucose test strips
The NICE guidelines suggest that people newly diagnosed with type 2 diabetes should be offered:

• structured education to every person and/or their carer at and around the time of diagnosis, with annual reinforcement and review
  • self-monitoring of plasma glucose to a person newly diagnosed with type 2 diabetes only as an integral part of his or her self-management education

Therefore both structured education and self-monitoring of blood glucose should be offered to people with type 2 diabetes. Read more on getting access to blood glucose testing supplies.

You may also be interested to read questions to ask at a diabetic clinic

Note: This post has been edited from Sue/Ken's post to include up to date information.

Snodger

daisy1 said:
You need to get it down below 7 at least as that's when the risk of complications starts.

in the friendliest possible way, daisy, can I just tweak that answer slightly? There isn't really a cut off point where risk starts/stops, exactly. Studies show that each reduction in HbA1c reduces the risk of complications... so reducing from 9 to 8 would reduce your risk (and for some complications like neuropathy that seems to be enough); with complications like retinopathy you continue to reduce risk as you bring HbA1c down further. So it's more like a continuum than a cut off point, as I understand it.

I've probably just confused everything more so if so I apologise!

Grazer

daisy1 said:
You need to get it down below 7

Know what you mean Daisy, but I'm still not sure if KKNL is referring to HbA1c here, or if a simple fasting test was done. I know that some people are "diagnosed" on the basis of a fasting test. It's difficult to advise about sub-7's if it's NOT HbA1c

Gappy

Dislikes
hypocrisy, prejudice and the corrupt legal system (never got compensation I deserved from an accident)
what you are already learnign from the replies is that it's a complicated illness. Everyone is right in what they're saying (in my limited knowledge) but there are so many variables. My reading at diagnosis (not fasting, so presumably hbawhatsit) was 12.4 I'm now 5.8 so it's easy to control

Beav

Dislikes
Alcohol
Mine was 14 when I got diagnosed but did go up to 24 before I had insulin. Im a type one though. My nurse does say only take action when its over 10 but that may be different as im a type one and require injections

viviennem

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Football. Bad manners.
A fasting blood test in a non-diabetic should be between 3.5 and 5.5 before meals; in a Type 2 diabetic, between 4 and 7 before meals (these are all millimols per litre).

9.3 is not desperately high, as the others have said - but a diagnosis of Type 2 diabetes is usually made with a fasting blood glucose test of over 7 mmol.l. A second test, either another fasting or an HbA1c, should be made to confirm it.

I had a 9mmol/l fasting at diagnosis, with an HbA1c of 6.5. Definitely diabetes. I quickly altered my diet and reduced my carbohydrate intake, resulting in a fasting of 6.9 and an HbA1c of 5.6, 3 months after diagnosis - but I'm still diabetic! :D

This is all numbers at the moment, but you'll quickly get used to it. Have a good read round, and learn all you can. Ask any questions you like - we're here to help, and every one of us has been where you are now, whatever Type we are.

The main thing is, to accept that you do have diabetes and alter your lifestyle accordingly. Diabetes doesn't stop me doing what I want, or even eating and drinking what I want, but some things are now listed under "occasional treat only"! :roll: I am a firm believer in the theory that if you take control of it immediately you have a very good chance of living a long and happy life with minimum complications.

All the info and support you need is right here on this site.

Being diagnosed Type 2 has been very good for me - a wake-up call, out of a lazy and self-indulgent lifestyle :oops: . I am now 4 stone lighter and much healthier than I was 18 months ago. Things can only get better!

Keep posting!

Viv 8)

Sheensie

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Thank u Viviennem and happy for such encouraging posts. I have been diagnosed 2 days ago with HbA1c at 9.3. Was really worried but after reading ur replies here...I am certain I can beat this! Thank you once again. Happy health everyone. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 2 people