confused

JConnor

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi All,
Not sure what to start as things have been crazy recently, I was diagnosed as Gestational Diabetic at 28 weeks following 3 hospital admissions and was at 26.6 after GTT. Things went a bit crazy immediately after diagnosis as had high ketones. I was started on insulin immediately and was told that normally GD goes away after [pregnancy there was a high chance mine wouldnt with levels being so high. I had a Hab1 test which came back at 6.5 and saw diabetic consultant who then reassured me that it probably would disappear after pregnancy as Hab1 wasnt that high. I had a little girl at 36 weeks due to diabetes see was born by section weighing wooping 8lbs 8oz. 6 weeks later i had another GTT Which came back at 10.3 which just tipped me into diabetic range and was told was probably type 2 ( im a healthy 24 weighing 9 stone). was told i didnt need to test daily and consultant would sent me an appointment. One day i was feeling extremely tired and recognized symptoms of hyper that i had when pregnant, tested my sugars which came back at 22.6 spoke to diabetes nurse who said to start back on insulin seeing as i already had some left over in fridge.
I have since been told that they think it type 1 waiting on blood test to confirm but i am abit confused as i seem to be managing well on 16 units of Humilin I twice a day. I just wish i knew for sure which type i am. If i am type 1 will i end up needing more insulin or will i carry on managing as i am ? I just wish i ha that magical crystal ball that will tell me.

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
If they had put you on tablets and that worked for you, you would have known for sure you are T2, but insulin works for all types. Now you'd need an antibody test to be sure.
GD doesn't always go away. Your baby's weight was probably down to your high blood glucose.
Not all T2s are obese or even overweight. there's a link between weight and T2, but despite the theories, they haven't proven cause and effect.I'd advise you to investigae the low carb diet. Look into it and see if it's likely to be for you.
Are you feeding your baby? Sometimes they prefer you not to if our blood glucose is high. The 6.5% HbA1c could simply mean you hadn't had the problem for long.
I'd also say. learn all you can and take control of the situation. You are the one who has the most togain. you are still very young and with a child or children to care for, you need tto keep as fit as you can.
Read through this website and you'll learn a lot. It will take time to take it all in. then ask again
Hana

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
pasta ice cream and chocolate
JConnor said:
Hi All,
Not sure what to start as things have been crazy recently, I was diagnosed as Gestational Diabetic at 28 weeks following 3 hospital admissions and was at 26.6 after GTT. Things went a bit crazy immediately after diagnosis as had high ketones. I was started on insulin immediately and was told that normally GD goes away after [pregnancy there was a high chance mine wouldnt with levels being so high. I had a Hab1 test which came back at 6.5 and saw diabetic consultant who then reassured me that it probably would disappear after pregnancy as Hab1 wasnt that high. I had a little girl at 36 weeks due to diabetes see was born by section weighing wooping 8lbs 8oz. 6 weeks later i had another GTT Which came back at 10.3 which just tipped me into diabetic range and was told was probably type 2 ( im a healthy 24 weighing 9 stone). was told i didnt need to test daily and consultant would sent me an appointment. One day i was feeling extremely tired and recognized symptoms of hyper that i had when pregnant, tested my sugars which came back at 22.6 spoke to diabetes nurse who said to start back on insulin seeing as i already had some left over in fridge.
I have since been told that they think it type 1 waiting on blood test to confirm but i am abit confused as i seem to be managing well on 16 units of Humilin I twice a day. I just wish i knew for sure which type i am. If i am type 1 will i end up needing more insulin or will i carry on managing as i am ? I just wish i ha that magical crystal ball that will tell me.

Hiya, welcome to the forum and congratulations on the birth of your little girl :)
The reason you are managing so well on the 2 injections of humalin is due to what is known as the honeymoon period. Which means your pancreas is still pushing out a bit of insulin but not a lot.
Once the pancreas goes on strike you will then need to introduce a bolus insulin to cover your meals. What you are experiencing is quite normal even though very confusing for you.

Hellbunny

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi, i had what they thought was gestational diabetes in both my pregnancies (first baby 2010, second baby 2012) i needed insulin with my second pregnancy. It didn't go away despite me only being 20 years old and i'm around 8 stone. They did antibody tests and GAD/c-peptide (tests which rule out type 1 over type 2) and they came back borderline positive. my sugar levels went up to 26mmol when i was unwell with chickenpox a few weeks after my youngest was born, they started me on insulin but i'm in my honeymoon period at the moment and have been taken off it.
Ask them to do antibody tests on you to determine whether its type 1, but by the sounds of it (you age and weight and the very high reading in pregnancy) it does seem like it x

JConnor

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I have had the antibody test and will get the results next thursday had a terrible day yesterday was high all day but didnt change my doses as wanted to see if there was a pattern then suddenly dropped from 16 to 3. Spoke to diabetes Nurse who said may be that my pancreas is working again. I might be a little thick here but i thought once it stopped it stopped, Only 8 days to go but feels a life time at moment. For last 5/6 months as just been total confusion, hard when the experts keep changing there minds about things.
Thank you all for taking time to reply to me, just feeling so down with it all and still got blues from baby as had planned natural home birth and bit by bit everything changed into my worst nightmare. I dont know anyone with diabetes and this is a big learning curve for us all and constantly feel like im doing wrong with it.
Fingers crossed will get proper answers and know for sure next week

rtee

JConnor,
I just want to encourage you that things WILL get better, even if you do have type 1. You will learn how to cope and because of your beautiful daughter you will keep yourself well.
You've had some big disappointments , huge hormonal changes, a shock and not much sleep!!!
Everyone on this forum will give you support and encouragement. Hoping you soon know what's going on and can start dealing with it with certainty (If you need to)
Rtee

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
pasta ice cream and chocolate
Hi JC,
as your pancreas is going through the honeymoon period it will cough and splutter which accounts for your eratic blood sugars.
Take a deep breath and take one day at a time. This has always been a good coping mechanism.
Try to keep your food intake (carb wise) roughly the same each day then you can see how things are progressing.

JConnor

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
rtee said:
JConnor,
I just want to encourage you that things WILL get better, even if you do have type 1. You will learn how to cope and because of your beautiful daughter you will keep yourself well.
You've had some big disappointments , huge hormonal changes, a shock and not much sleep!!!
Everyone on this forum will give you support and encouragement. Hoping you soon know what's going on and can start dealing with it with certainty (If you need to)
Rtee
Thank you its lovely to know people take the time to help. At times feels like everything to much and cant deal with it then get my rational moments where think i have been through worse and survived. I worry as 3 years ago my disabled 5 year old was poorly and at the time i was sat down and told he was type 1 a few days later his consultant saw him who said that that it was a transient glucose intolerance and occasionally can be a sign that diabetes will develop tho was unlikely in his case as was no family history at the time. I keep having moment where i just bury my head in sand and go in denial (then pay price) where i just think 1 fizzy drink not hurt or i just gotta have that chocolate bar.
CarbsRok said:
Hi JC,
as your pancreas is going through the honeymoon period it will cough and splutter which accounts for your eratic blood sugars.
Take a deep breath and take one day at a time. This has always been a good coping mechanism.
Try to keep your food intake (carb wise) roughly the same each day then you can see how things are progressing.
thank you i keep taking those deep breaths think everyone in house is suffering at moment with my moods keep changing, ive noticed when sugar levels are high i have a real short fuse, tbh i am not sure how i am still alive sure my other half could strangle me and have enough cause to lol. Just keep thinking 8 days and either way i can start taking those positive steps, well know for sure which one eitherway changes have to be made but in my head when i know for sure i can tackle it.
Thank you both for your replies im not sure if im making much sense but i think you may understand where i am coming from more than my family can.

smidge

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi JC!

As others have said, your pancreas can be temperamental in the early days. I have LADA (a slow-onset form of type 1) and 3 years after diagnosis I still have good and bad pancreas days :roll: Also, I find that hormonal changes through the month have a massive impact on my BG levels and how much insulin I need. As you've just had baby (congratulations by the way :D ), your hormones will be all over the place and this will make controlling your BG harder and is likely to make the swings from high to low more extreme. Just hang in there, it will settle down! Incidentally, don't drink fizzy sugary drinks under any circumstances (unless it's a small drop to clear a hypo :lol: ) they send your BG soaring and then crashing - if you want a fizzy drink, go for a diet one with no sugar in it.

Take care

Smidge