Confusion

shann

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi I'm Shann,
Umm I kinda would like a bit of advice with some thing.

So today my boyfriend has been diagnosed with type 1 diabetes. It was sort of a shock but the doctors said it may be that so it wasn't major.

But I am a type one diabetic and I have been since the 29th November 2011 and I have really bad control. I am starting to improve now but the thing I'm really stuck on is, how can I help him? And what can/do I do to help him?

I know it may sound stupid but I rufused/refuse help with mine because I don't like it but yeah. Any information would be appreciated.

Thank youu in advance

Reactions: leslie10152

leslie10152

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Ignorance
Hi I'm Shann,
Umm I kinda would like a bit of advice with some thing.

So today my boyfriend has been diagnosed with type 1 diabetes. It was sort of a shock but the doctors said it may be that so it wasn't major.

But I am a type one diabetic and I have been since the 29th November 2011 and I have really bad control. I am starting to improve now but the thing I'm really stuck on is, how can I help him? And what can/do I do to help him?

I know it may sound stupid but I rufused/refuse help with mine because I don't like it but yeah. Any information would be appreciated.

Thank youu in advance
Coming to the forum was a good idea. This is not something you can do alone. The biggest stumbling block in successful diabetes control is DENIAL! I know because I went through it too. Don't be afraid to reach out for help.

I found out I was diabetic when I woke up in the Emergency Medical Ward. I spent 4 weeks in hospital, then had to learn how to live with diabetes. It is not an easy path, but with assistance it gets so much easier.

Reactions: shann

shann

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Coming to the forum was a good idea. This is not something you can do alone. The biggest stumbling block in successful diabetes control is DENIAL! I know because I went through it too. Don't be afraid to reach out for help.

I found out I was diabetic when I woke up in the Emergency Medical Ward. I spent 4 weeks in hospital, then had to learn how to live with diabetes. It is not an easy path, but with assistance it gets so much easier.

Thank you leslie10152

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi @shann :)

You could get him to join this forum too, then you could improve your control together :)

I think the biggest thing you can do though is to listen to him and let him know you understand.

Reactions: shann

shann

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @shann :)

You could get him to join this forum too, then you could improve your control together :)

I think the biggest thing you can do though is to listen to him and let him know you understand.

@azure thank youu I'll mention it to him

therower

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @shann. This is going to sound a bit brutal, but you may be need to get yourself sorted first.
You've got to be able practice what you preach.
Your boyfriend will learn so much especially from watching and being with you, it needs to be positive, good control.
Your boyfriends diagnosis maybe a blessing in disguise for you.
Together you should both benefit.
Be there for each other and inspire yourselves to have good control and I'm sure you'll both be okay.
Go and buy t shirts that let everyone know you're diabetic, be proud to be diabetic just don't deny it.