Considerable decrease in insulin sensitivity

isjoberg

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi all,
Yesterday I had a bit of a nightmare, bgs were between 10-18 until around 7pm after quite massive corrections (around 6 units every hour?) and then they finally got in range until this morning, where I have swung up to 15, with a larger than normal bolus for my breakfast and another few correction units to hopefully bring it down.
I went through all the possible causes, and am not ill or falling ill (unless there is an infection hiding out), made sure I was using relatively unused injection sites and changed my cartridges on both my bolus and basal pen. My basal was fine overnight so I don't think that is the problem, but my bolus does not seem to be touching these highs.
Any ideas or suggestions apart from giving monster amounts and hoping it doesn't crash?

novorapidboi26

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
If it was me I would start from the beginning....carb free basal testing day and night.......particularly the day in your case...

you'll get a test out of it and there will be no carbs, which will give you some respite from the high levels....

there could be many reasons this is happening of course which may or may not last but the only thing you have control of is your insulin doses.....so thats where I would start....

Reactions: isjoberg

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Hi @isjoberg Any changes in diet, stress, exercise ?

I tend to look for repeat patterns before I start the basal testing just to rule out other probabilities like illness, dental infection, hormones, stress and exercise, you've done the right thing changing your insulin but if it repeats again then start the basal testing tomorrow. It could simply be a change in temperature :)