Considering a baby

Pepsi Max

Hi all, not sure if this is the right forum for my question but here goes, I'm a type 1 since 2005, recently on a pump. My last hba1c was 7.7% Recently myself & my husband have been considering having our first child but to be honest I'm scared. Scared of complications & the whole shebang! My last appoint with my Dr was Nov 2013, they said they would refer me to my local maternity diabetes clinic but I haven't heard anything. I suppose now I'm looking for information to prepare me so I can get a head start. Anything like what my % should be before conceiving, how can I get it down, any supplements I should start to take, what to expect etc etc any advice is extremely welcomed!

Diabetic warrior since 2005!

leanneswift

Hi, I just wanted to reply to you to say don't let diabetes stop you from having children. I am very new to diabetes. Diagnosed 4 months ago with type 2 and recently found out I am pregnant with my 3rd child. I am now on insulin and lots of tablets- very stressful for me but I am just getting used to it. Maternity units are sided to dealing with diabetic women and in my experience- very good. Hope all goes well and good luck x

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Pepsi Max

Thanks for your reply. I suppose I just want to know what's ahead for me & not to be shocked or upset by scare tactics the health professionals can sometimes use...

elaine77

Hey Pepsi...I have wondered about this too. I have two children already and although I had gestational diabetes with my second child I was told it had disappeared after he was born, til it came back 2yrs later as LADA! I think if u re-post ur question in ask a question or type 1 thread u will get lots of advice because gestational diabetes is for people who usually don't get diabetes until they're already pregnant....so they won't have had to prepare for it like you do. My husband has been talking of having another but I'm too scared :-(

Diagnosed with GD in 2010, Completely disappeared postpartum. Re-diagnosed December 2012 with type 1.5 diabetes, age 26, BMI 22 currently controlled by only Metformin, 500mg twice a day.

frowl

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi, don't know if you managed to find your answers but thought i'd share with you. I'm type 1 and am currently 29 weeks pregnant. This pregnancy was planned as I was the same as you in regards to what to do. I had to get my Hba1c to read around 6 then we were able to start trying. Your blood sugars need to be around 5-6 and no higher than 7.8, but even I found this hard all the time. You'll need to take a higher dose of folic acid when you are pregnant and also after 12 weeks take aspirin. Your doctor or diabetic nurse should tell you this. One thing to also be aware of it took me a year to conceive so don't expect things to happen straight away(although they could). The first three months are the most important in regards to blood sugars as this is when baby develops the main organs. To be honest don't read all the articles on google etc as it will really scare you. Throughout my pregnancy my bloods have been around 6-8 and baby is fine and measuring normal size. Also in the last few weeks I've had to really increase my insulin as the pregnancy hormones resist insulin. So honestly don't worry too much, aim for good control pre pregnancy and the first 3 months. You will also have lots of scans and see your doc a lot. Hope that helps. Thanks

chloe1

Hi frowl

I just read your post. It concerned me that you are taking aspirin while you are pregnant, as I always thought this was dangerous for the baby during pregnancy and breastfeeding. Folic acid yes, even 3 months before you fall pregnant. Maybe there is somebody that knows better than me as my youngest is nearly 2 so it's been I while since I was pregnant. Who told you to take aspirin?

frowl

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi my ob and doctor put me on aspirin, it's a small dose daily but they put diabetics on it to make blood flow better to the placenta and cord. Haven't had any problems and it was doctors orders. Thanks for the interest x

Pepsi Max

Thanks for all that. In the mean time I finally got an appointment with a pre- natal clinic. Was told my BG before meals should be under 5 & 1 hour after should be under 7. So far not so good!! also my HbA1C went up!

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
Hi, I had my daughter 13 years ago, I'm type 1, at the age of 42 1/2. And I'm still going strong.
Sorry to hear of the rise in your HbA1C, I'm sure you will get there. Take care