Constant nausea

coco44

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi everyone. I have been suffering from constant nausea for sometime now. At the beginning of this year I had a scan predominantly to see if I was suffering from an aortic aneurism, thankfully I'm not. A few months ago I was prescribed Omeprazole. After a few problems with raised sugar levels things quietened down and I felt really well and no nausea. 2 weeks ago the nausea returned and on Monday I woke up with severe stomach pains. I saw my gp who immediately sent me to A & E because I had a raised temperature and I'd been sick he was worried I may have appendicitis, thankfully I haven't I was given an anti nausea drug intravenously and this worked well for a few hours. On Thursday I was scanned for gall stones none were found. I am now waiting for an appointment to have a camera put down my throat to see if I have an ulcer. Although the severe pain has not returned the nausea is forever present. Yesterday my gp prescribed Prochlorperazine which my husband has collected for me and I am reading the enclosed leaflet which says not to be taken if you are taking medication for diabetes. I take Metformin and inject Lantus and Novarapid for my Type 1 diabetes. Does anyone have any experience of taking this drug? as I am a bit concerned as to what may happen. Thanks, good weekend everyone Carole x

C

catherinecherub

Diabetes patients - Prochlorperazine may affect your blood sugar. Check blood sugar levels closely. Ask your doctor before you change the dose of your diabetes medicine. http://www.drugs.com/cdi/prochlorperazine.html
The above was the warning that I found about this medication.
If you are worried about taking it then I would either ring the pharmacist, your Gp or NHS111.

A couple of home remedies for sickness are ginger and peppermint, they might help.

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I know nothing of Prochlorperazine so I am no help there but Googling side effects of Metformin I got this.

• Side Effects. Nausea, vomiting, stomach upset, diarrhea, weakness, or a metallic taste in the mouth may occur. ...
  • Precautions. See also Warning section. ...
  • Interactions. Drug interactions may change how your medications work or increase your risk for serious side effects.
https://www.google.co.uk/search?cli...side+effects&sourceid=opera&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8

Do you think there's a clue there?

S

Shar67

Omeprazole made me vomit for weeks, GP changed it for pantaprazole, I take prochloperazine (buccastem) when needed, with nausea I tend not to eat, and blood sugars have remained the same, but you should keep a close eye on them, test every 2 hours

Edit, you might have had gastritis

coco44

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thank you both for replying. I think I will ring my GP on Monday. The GP who prescribed this for me was the duty doctor and not renowned for being particularly careful or conscientious. Will not take any till I've spoken to my own GP or another doctor who I have a bit more confidence in. For the time being reading the link I don't think I want to be interfering with my diabetes management. Will try the ginger and peppermint. Thanks again :)

coco44

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Omeprazole made me vomit for weeks, GP changed it for pantaprazole, I take prochloperazine (buccastem) when needed, with nausea I tend not to eat, and blood sugars have remained the same, but you should keep a close eye on them, test every 2 hours

Edit, you might have had gastritis
Thanks Shar67 much appreciated personal experience. Reading the enclosed leaflet with the tablets it made them sound a complete no, no :(:)