Constipation help

Indy51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have found that probiotics are very helpful because they increase gut motility. Capsules are best as the yoghurt drinks often have added sugar. I get mine from Nature's Best. If I'm getting bunged up I also take prebiotic fibre, but it does contain some carbohydrates so not suitable for everyone. I just take half a teaspoon and it seems to help.
Psyllium also good, tho I don't like it!
A probiotic capsule usually works like a charm for me too. As an IBS/FODMAPS sufferer, I don't do well with insoluble fibres, but find Acacia Fibre excellent - it's a soluble fibre and recommended for IBS.

Also a good idea to have at least 1 teaspoon of olive oil a day to help with avoiding gallstones.

Reactions: 2 people
N

nicbarnett

I also suffer from IBS and since starting this vlcd my wind and as mentioned Constipation has massively increased but my blood sugars are the best they have been for years, it's not a great way to eat but I seem to be losing weight, I need to be told what to eat - I'm very lazy so if anyone fancies telling me what to eat to lose weight and keep my bs down I'd be grateful xx

haroldm

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Constipation can create a ton of problems. People think of curing it just to ease the difficulty for bowel motion. I too had a constipation problem during my pregnancy- nothing serious, just used to have difficulty for bowel movement. It went that way until post pregnancy, when I got diagnosed with incisional hernia. I saw the surgeon over at the Shouldice Hospital in Thornhill and he said right away that the hernia was caused by my constipation problem. It seems the pressure I applied had caused my belly fat to push out through the incision. In the end I had to have an abdominal hernia surgery at Shouldice.

Get that constipation problem taken care of. Sorry if I sound bossy. :)

Liam1955

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Anti-Gay People, Self Centre People, Two Faced People and Bad Language.
Hi, I suffer also with constipation - Dr also prescribes Movical (use it occasionally) I have a small glass of prune juice every morning and every other night I take 1 Dulcoease capsule and alternate with a Senna tablet. Plus drink plenty of water during the day.

ButtterflyLady

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Acceptance of health treatment claims that are not adequately supported by evidence. I dislike it when people sell ineffective and even harmful alternative health products to exploit the desperation of people with chronic illness.
Movicol is not the most effective laxative and it doesn't work for everyone. I would be asking your doctor to prescribe something for your constipation. Psyllium works well for me (I don't like it but I don't like constipation either). There is also Laxsol (not sure if it's called that in the UK), it contains Senna and can be very effective. Your doctor might prescribe Dulcolax suppositories or an enema. I have found Fleet enemas very helpful if the constipation is severe. They give the bowel a chance to get working properly again. I have slow motility (diagnosed after a colon transit study) and so it doesn't matter what I eat or what drugs I take, I will have constipation. Exercise and drinking lots of water help a bit though. Untreated constipation can lead to all kinds of problems, including haemorrhoids and rectal prolapse needing surgery. IMO it needs to be treated aggressively and not left to cause problems.

4ratbags

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi just wondering what type of veg you are eating for your supper.

tigz

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
old injury hinders most exercises, even swimming
Flax works very well for me - it's recommended that you take 2 tbsp in orange juice daily but I struggle with that idea so use as bulk to make sausages/burgers/kofte/meatballs certainly beats the lactulose I was prescribed!!

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Movicol is not the most effective laxative and it doesn't work for everyone. I would be asking your doctor to prescribe something for your constipation. Psyllium works well for me (I don't like it but I don't like constipation either). There is also Laxsol (not sure if it's called that in the UK), it contains Senna and can be very effective. Your doctor might prescribe Dulcolax suppositories or an enema. I have found Fleet enemas very helpful if the constipation is severe. They give the bowel a chance to get working properly again. I have slow motility (diagnosed after a colon transit study) and so it doesn't matter what I eat or what drugs I take, I will have constipation. Exercise and drinking lots of water help a bit though. Untreated constipation can lead to all kinds of problems, including haemorrhoids and rectal prolapse needing surgery. IMO it needs to be treated aggressively and not left to cause problems.

Ground Flax seed and chia seed keeps my slow colonic transit working.. I was prescribed movicol etc and cannot eat bread, pasta, rice or cereals such as weetabix etc as these get somehow in to a shape and size of a tennis ball stuck that I and hubby can actually feel the mass in my stomach. Flax n chia seeds have worked better for me than any movicols etc.

My gastro enterologist did say that only certain laxatives should be used for certain constipation.

The small microlax enemas don't work for me if I end up with a 6lb 18" blockage as I did a few weeks ago... This was purely from running out of flax seed for 3 days..(didn't realise it worked so well!!) have now got GP to prescribe (just in case) super sonic enemas that the hospital used... To avoid hospitalsation in the future!!

Slow colonic transit is awful but natural ground flax seed and chia seed are fantastic.

I seem to have adverse reactions to un natural chemicals as far as pain is caused by chemicals, preservatives n sweeteners. So glad flax n chia works for me. My hospitalisation was my own fault recently jyst because I really didn't realise how good the natural remedies are.

I always have mine whilst eating my meal. I only eat once a day.

It was a process of elimination to find iut what caused the chronic constipation... All "heavy" carbs have had to be eliminated. Although the other day I did manage to eat 1/8th of a slice of very cheapest, thinnest white fried bread...but didn't dare eat more.

I think constipation can be eliminated by cutting out "heavy" carbs and drinking plenty and having seeds.

I'm not sure whether sliw colionic transit can worsen but keeping the consipation at bay is imperative..

Amanda61

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Recently I have been suffering with constipation, it's a horrible
feeling. The pain and the wind ( or lack of it) . I have heard that
milk of magnesia is good for these symptoms, but was wondering
If anyone has taken it with being diabetic, and on medication/ insulin.

Liam1955

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Hi Amanda. I suffer too, but it is the 2 Ferrous Fumarate (iron tablets) I take every day for Aneamia. I take dulcoease every other night before bed, sometimes I eat a bowl of bran flakes at supper time and that has a desired effect the next day. Also I might add that taking 4 x 500mg of Metformin a day do's not help and with a lot of people these tablets have the opposite effect!

Amanda61

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi Amanda. I suffer too, but it is the 2 Ferrous Fumarate (iron tablets) I take every day for Aneamia. I take dulcoease every other night before bed, sometimes I eat a bowl of bran flakes at supper time and that has a desired effect the next day. Also I might add that taking 4 x 500mg of Metformin a day do's not help and with a lot of people these tablets have the opposite effect!

I have heard that iron tablets cause constipation . I have taken senna before, but I'm
not a lover of taking laxatives. Are chai seeds any good, for movement

Liam1955

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Hi Amanda61. I believe chai seeds are - drink plenty of water too and they are supposed to relieve constipation. Good luck and update us on the forum. Thanks.

Dark Horse

Apart from increasing fibre, fluids and exercise as people have already mentioned, one tip is to try to have a bowel movement approximately 5-10 minutes after eating the main meal of the day. The gut tends to contract better when you've just eaten.

Reactions: 4 people

Amanda61

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Apart from increasing fibre, fluids and exercise as people have already mentioned, one tip is to try to have a bowel movement approximately 5-10 minutes after eating the main meal of the day. The gut tends to contract better when you've just eaten.
In an ideal world that would be fantastic. But I doubt that happens to very
many people.

Reactions: 4 people

Amanda61

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi Amanda61. I believe chai seeds are - drink plenty of water too and they are supposed to relieve constipation. Good luck and update us on the forum. Thanks.
I did try the chia seeds Liam and they do work.:)

Liam1955

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Thank You Amanda61 for letting me know that China seeds work. That's good news.

Liam1955

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Hi Amanda61. I did put some icons on my reply, don't where they are?? But, can I ask what medication you are taking for your Diabetes. Thanks.

Amanda61

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi Amanda61. I did put some icons on my reply, don't where they are?? But, can I ask what medication you are taking for your Diabetes. Thanks.
I'm just on Metformin Liam. Down to 1 a day. :)