contact lens background retinopathy

static192

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
hey i wanted to ask do any other type 1s wear contact lens and have diabetes and background retinopathy?..

Dodo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
hey i wanted to ask do any other type 1s wear contact lens and have diabetes and background retinopathy?..
Had background retinopathy for at least 20 years but having received my results this morning, still no treatment is required. I've also been a contact lens wearer for well over 30 years without any problems. I would say if wearing contacts just use your common sense where hygiene is concerned. Always wash your hands, clean your lens as specified by your optician and have regular check-ups. 50 years a diabetic.

static192

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Had background retinopathy for at least 20 years but having received my results this morning, still no treatment is required. I've also been a contact lens wearer for well over 30 years without any problems. I would say if wearing contacts just use your common sense where hygiene is concerned. Always wash your hands, clean your lens as specified by your optician and have regular check-ups. 50 years a diabetic.
thanks for the reply do you think its better to get daily contact lens as less chance of bacteria or getting infection or monthlys better?. also i always thought if you have background retinopathy its a automtic no from opticians for contact lenses. are specsavers any good as i want to book a appointment with them for contact lenses

M80

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi! I think daily are better because the hygiene is better,well, more easy. Not all corrections are available in daily so it depends on your eyes. Obviously it is possible to clean your monthly or 14day lenses to the same standard but it takes more time obviously. Some eyes are more sensitive to different material in lenses, I would not recommend the cheapest, but on the other side the most expensive ones also can be made by material like silicon gel that can cause a reaction so I am not saying most expensive are better.Get lenses that are good at "breathing" would be my advice.I used to work selling lenses,use them and have type one.However for me I use them just a few days a week.Daily lenses are best also for that,and cheaper.If you worry,that is also an idea,have glasses some days and lenses some days/specific activities.

Reactions: Speedbird

M80

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Also on that note it is better to go to a private optician, as Specsavers only have their own label lenses and those are possibly restricted to only the most cheap /basic ones.
I am sure there are people who are very happy with them but that is just my experience.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Also on that note it is better to go to a private optician, as Specsavers only have their own label lenses and those are possibly restricted to only the most cheap /basic ones.
I am sure there are people who are very happy with them but that is just my experience.

You can still use Specsavers but take the prescription elsewhere, that's what my wife did the last time she visited there.

Peppergirl

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I've stopped wearing my daily disposable toric lenses now as its easier with glasses (bifocals needed now). Wore contacts for 15 years, found disposables better as my eyes used to dry out quite a bit, but that was probably due to poor control (which has now improved). I bought contacts online, exactly the same as the opticians, but much cheaper. My optician charged me for a contact lens check up if I didn't buy from them. Had background retinopathy for the last 6 years, which is stable and no issues with wearing contacts due to this. Hope that helps.

Reactions: azure

Dodo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
thanks for the reply do you think its better to get daily contact lens as less chance of bacteria or getting infection or monthlys better?. also i always thought if you have background retinopathy its a automtic no from opticians for contact lenses. are specsavers any good as i want to book a appointment with them for contact lenses
I would recommend dailies as they are not only more hygienic but save all the cleaning every time you take them out. I use Bioclear 1 Day made by Sauflon obtained from my opticians. They're also ultra thin and very comfortable to wear.

M80

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I would absolutely not just buy lenses online, it is very important to get the right shape and size for your eye and this is what the optician will look at when you get them.And you do definitively need to check your eyes annually.As long as you DO get the lenses that are right from a good certified optician and go check your eyes, sure, buy them online if it is the lenses that are suited.Poor control is just too big a risk when diabetic.So important they are not curved too tight it can seriously damage your eyes.(the numbers 8,7 14,2 etc talk about the radius and diameter.)

static192

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
im wearing some specsavers daily lenses senital daily ones i wanted to ask how many hours does everyone here else wear there contact lens?. in terms of hours and it seems the contact lens are same strength as my glasses and it feel bit to strong has.

Victorri

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi I wear monthly lens and have done for approx 3 years now. I have no problems with them. I wear them approx 15 hrs a day 7 days a week. I did start with dailys but they made my eyes to dry. I have some changes in my eyes but nothing that needs treatment and I have been a diabetic for 17 years. and if I'm honest and know I will get moaned at, I do not clean my lens I take them out and put them in the pot then put them in the next morning. I do use clean solution each time. I get my lens from tesco