Contact lenses

Dogbutler

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Hi all,

First, apologies if there is another thread relating to this, but is there any reason why type II's shouldn't wear contact lenses?

My eyesight is dreadful, I have to juggle 2 prs of specs - a pair to read and a pair to see. It's driving me up the bloody wall and I don't fancy the idea of varifocals (had some years ago and I either fell over or threw up).

I'd be really grateful if someone could offer some insight (sorry, couldn't help myself).

Thanks

Dogbutler x

Last edited by a moderator:

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi all,

First, apologies if there is another thread relating to this, but is there any reason why type II's shouldn't wear contact lenses?

My eyesight is dreadful, I have to juggle 2 prs of specs - a pair to read and a pair to see. It's driving me up the bloody wall and I don't fancy the idea of varifocals (had some years ago and I either fell over or threw up).

I'd be really grateful if someone could offer some insight (sorry, couldn't help myself).

Thanks

Dogbutler x

I am a sometimes contact lens wearer, so probably not, unless you have eye issues. I would say, however, that a contact lense solution for a varifocal experience isn't necessarily too simple. The options tend to be, varifocal contacts (quite expensive), wearing different lenses in each eye; one long distance, the other for close work, and train your brain to manage that - in some ways a bit like you have to with varifocal spectacles, or wear lenses for long distance, and clap on reading glasses when reading.

Fortunately, I manage with single vision contacts as they correct my visions enough to read with, although my specs are varifocals. I do know people using all three options, successfully. I never had an issue accepting my varifocal lenses, but I have always elected to have a premium grade lense, which I am told both makes the lenses themselves thinner (I know, vanity), but also increases the proportion of lens usable for near, middle distance and far.

If you were to try any of the contact lens solutions, the big suppliers, like Specsavers have a 30 day (I think) trial, so if you couldn't get along with them, there's a get out clause for some of the costs, which can be applied to new glasses.

Good luck with it all!

Reactions: 2 people

Dogbutler

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Thank you AndBreathe for your sound advice.

You're right, my ideas about contact lenses have been a bit simplistic- I didn't think there would be so much variation between lens types.

I'll go to the optitians next week to get their take on it.

Thanks again,

Ness x

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank you AndBreathe for your sound advice.

You're right, my ideas about contact lenses have been a bit simplistic- I didn't think there would be so much variation between lens types.

I'll go to the optitians next week to get their take on it.

Thanks again,

Ness x

That sounds good. I may be being a gullible customer, buying the premium lenses, but as I sometimes have frame-less "frames", the thickness/thinness is pretty evident then anyway.

Matt J

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm a type 1 and was told by my optician when diagnosed in 1986 that diabetics couldn't wear contact lenses. I then didn't really consider it and in the intervening years just wore my glasses (for short sightedness). I saw an advert for the free contact lens trial and times or technology must have changed because the optician said no problem and from earlier this year I too am an occasional wearer (with daily disposables).

The Specsavers trial deal is excellent. There is no charge and you can simply try them out for a couple of weeks. If you don't get on with them then you can leave it at that.

I'm not quite at varifocals (or two pairs of glasses) stage yet but heading there so as @AndBreathe mentions the optician gave me the different strength contacts for each eye to try and compensate for distance and reading. It seems to work and apparently is quite a common technique.

Nicola M

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I'm Type 1 and recently had an optician appointment. I was told by my optician that their was no reason why any Diabetic person could not have contact lenses but their is something specific to do with the eye shape I think that determines whether or not you can have contacts. Hope that helps! :)

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
idiots who will not learn
I wear them (have done for many years)and if you keep your BS under control, there is no reason (I'm aware of) why you cannot.

Victorri

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm type 1 and I wear contacts everyday and have done for sometime now. My diabetes was never mentioned. I hate wearing my glasses

Totto

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi @Dogbutler, I use lenses now and then but actually vastly prefer my bifocal glasses. With contact lenses I need reading glasses so can't really see the point, except for when I go snorkeling. Hard to do that with glasses on.

My optician wanted me to try varifocals but no way. They are extremely expensive and don't do the job. With my old fashioned bifocals I have more or less perfect vision so I'm going to hang on to them.

Dogbutler

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Thank you all for your thoughtful advice and support guys - ever reliable.

Ness x

Lampet77

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
In type 1 and so is my mum. I'm a part time lenses wearer (sporting use mainly) but I prefer my glasses for using the computer doing a lot of CAD work so tend to wear them to work. My mum wears them full time and has no issues and she's been diabetic 40 years. Just important to keep up all the relevant eye checks.