Continual Complications

megan2002

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I am a 38 year old man who has has type 1 for 20 years

I am 22 stone and try to eat good and drink plenty of water.

I don't drink or smoke

My stomach is heavily bloated along with my face

My knees are sore and my ankles are badly swollen with feet highly sensitive

I have terrible sharp pain at both groins when I move differently

I am at GP tomorrow what do I do?

Genibel

Pls go out and buy this book:
Dr Bernstein diabetes solution
Dr Bernstein is a T1 diabetic since childhood and knows what he's talking about his dedication is second to none
You cannot be 38 and suffering like this
I'm sure you will find it a life changing experience
Best wishes

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
The problems you have listed are not necessarily due to diabetes complications. More than likely more connected to obesity (assuming that you're not 9' tall!)

What are your blood readings?

megan2002

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
My HbA1c was 7.2 and average 5 - 6 during the day trying to eat very little food

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
So to get an hba1c of 7.2 your levels must be going up during the night then? Your hba1c would be slightly higher than your gp would like and the gp from your stated weight may suggest you need less food than you are eating...

I think you have to be prepared that your gp may not put all your health concerns down to diabetes..

I havent got a clue about groin pain, but knee probs.. The gp is likely to blame weight.

Have you had an annual check up where they test your feet and knee reactions? I dont know much about neuropathy, but believe thats more pain related than swelling... But I'm not sure on this....

How much do you exercise?

megan2002

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
My GP says it is all diabetes related.

She put me on Metformin.

I always feel sick and eat about 1550 calories a day as I have a tracker.

They say it is also due to large amount of insulin taken 80 units lantus and approx 120 of novorapid.

Go for a walk with stick every night and try swimmimng

Was think of fat stripping pills as need a boost

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Sorry, didnt know all of those details as well...

What does your gp say are the medical terms for the complications?

Is the reason for your gp visit due to the reasons listed above?

megan2002

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
GP sees me every 4 weeks to see if symptons improve.

I feel totally exhausted

I used to be so active however the pain is horrendous

Told could be neuropathy and damage to the vagus nerve.

It is difficult as try hard to get it right however symptons are continuosly poor

Had Bariums, endoscopy

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. Those insulin units are very high implying you are insulin resistant due to excess weight? What is your typical daily meal pattern? Are you on a low-carb diet setting a daily objective of perhaps 150gm/day or much less? The problem with limiting food by calorie intake is that you may be restricting fats rather than carbs which is wrong for a diabetic. Do let us know what your typical meals may be to see if we can help. Obviously you may have other health problems affecting weight that we are not aware of, so apologies if I'm preaching to the converted.

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Looked back at your other postings....

When you were told you had vagus nerve damage.. Didnt consultant or doctor suggest seeing a dietician to discuss your food to relieve your symptoms? Do you have any alchohol?

A fat busting pill wont do anything if you are eating foods that are not good...

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
So are you given any meds for pain relief?

megan2002

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
My diet is very basic - I would love to get off bread

Todays carbs intake was 171 and calories 1346 went for walk again tonight however legs and feet extremely sore

I eat rice , a lot of chicken , pasta and potatoes

megan2002

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Was put on DAFNE however has not helped much.

On Ibuspray and Co - Codomol 30 / 500

picklebean

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
The higher the amount of insulin you take, the more weight you're likely to put on and the more weight you put on, the more insulin you need. It's a vicious circle!

It sounds like you might have insulin resistance where you need higher levels of insulin. Metformin can help with that for some people. Trying to reduce the amount of carbohydrates you consume will help somewhat. It can be difficult but plenty of T2s manage to do it. If you do that then you'll be able to take less fast acting insulin and that would be a good start.

martwolves

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Dislikes
Selfish people, arseholes who think they know it all, ignoramuses, chavs and people with no manners. People who play music on the bus or train full blast on their phones.
Sorry if I sound a simpleton, but may be an idea to reduce the white carbs in your diet by say 25% to 35% and see how you get on. Yoiu won't need so much insulin and you won't maintain your current body mass and hopefully put less strain on your pins, knees and feet. More easily said than done, but something has to give. I'm not being critical but bread, spuds, rice, etc are naughty.

Good luck

Mart.

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Yet again.. Well said Martwolves..

Megan2002...
Do you drink alchohol? Do you add your beverages/alchohol in to your tracker?

You give loads of negative vibes off towards being able to change anything to help yourself regarding less food, different food....this has been apparent in a number of postings from you...

It is a roundabout with more insulin, more weight gain, less activity, getting older quicker...are you still under a consultant, how are you getting on with your health care team now? What have they actually suggested for you to do?

megan2002

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
No I don't drink alchohol due to stomach nausea.

I might sound negative however struggle with ways changing a habit of a lifetime how to stop eating bread , potatoes , rice etc.

I am utterly exhausted and really need a boost

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
You say you try to eat a good diet. What does this entail?
For diabetics the recommended high carb low fat diet doesn't work. 5-a-day is ok if you understand that for a diabetic MOST of that needs to be green leafy vegetables rather than fruit.
It's very common for long term T1s to have serious weight problems. This is often linked to using a lot of insulin to counter a high carb diet. How much insulin do you use per day?
My husband of over 40 years is a long term T1 and his weight was spiralling out of control, so he cut his carb intake and his insulin use and evverything is coming under control slowly. His HbA1c is also improving.
For an HbA1c to be 7.2%, the overall blood glucose average is 10. So if you are seeing 5s and 6s during the day, your nighttime levels must be in the teens. Several of the symptoms you describe could well be down to carrying , what would be, about double average weight for an average height man.
I too would recommend "Dr. Richard Bernstein's Diabetes Solution". You may find this book in the local library, but I know ours didn't have it last time I asked. It's American, so you can get it easily on Amazon.
Hana

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Megan2002 has previously explained that he finds it hard to change foods or diet..... I think this is the real issue here....we can offer advice on lowering carbs etc.. But until real blood levels during night, pre meal and after meal tests are logged and real acceptance is taken to take control of diabetes and diet it will be very hard for any of us to help unless Megan2002 accepts that he needs to change the habits of a lifetime.

There's lots of people on this forum, especiallt the type 2's that have successfully changed and hugely improved their life's.. Perhaps someonecan come aling on advice on how they accepted these changes and how they made the battle of mind a success..

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
I'm also concerned that Megan2002 has jad large increases of insulins but says he has less intake of food. Something doesnt balance out here....i dont doubt the less cals, but the carb quantity is still large... And no reported benefits of dafne?? I'm concerned that there has been significant increases of insilin since he first posted.