Contour next strip issues

tigger

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
registrars asking silly questions
Is anyone else having these? I had a pot where I got wild readings (2.7 instead of 7.3) and reported it. Ascenscia claimed it was the meter and sent me a new one. I then got 26.7 instead of 10 so reported it to the yellow card scheme as Ascenscia were clearly not interested. I now have another pot showing 1.7 when next reading is 7.2. Has anyone else had this? Is there something I'm doing? Hands are clean and dry when I test.

Juicetin

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm using Contour Next trips and I quite often get wild readings, mostly high ones. I've started using my Codefree which seems to give more consistent results.

Reactions: tigger

tigger

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
My strips are fine.........

Are you comparing the meters reading to another meter?
No. It's just I know what a 1.7 feels like and it was nothing like I felt like this morning (ie fine). I have compared them occasionally to the freestyle strips when sent them for testing faulty libres and I find those tend to read on the lower side but nothing like this.

col101

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
A lot of companies will offer a free meter on trial, how about trying someone elses and comparing results. I get the sense some companies and indeed healthcare professionals don't realise how important the respond are to we users!

tigger

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
I used to use aviva which I liked but then got given a contour with my pump. It talks to my pump and the strips use less blood and therefore I usually have less failures as a result. I've tried one touch in the past and was not so keen.

tigger

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
And another one from a different pack. This time more worryingly it read 7.4 when the libre was 5.4 going down. I had planned on eating but after the test assumed the libre was wrong. 20 mins later in bad hypo which is not my usual morning pattern.

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
@tigger, do you have any OPtium strips for the Libre? If not I'd suggest you get hold of some so that you can compare the two.

I'd also suggest contacting Ascensia and asking for a non-Contour Next Link 2.4 "Contour Next" meter, so that you can compare the results of the two.

tigger

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Thanks. I've got a non-contour next machine they sent me at one point. I occasionally have optium strips when I'm having libre issues. But I don't get them on prescription so not a huge supply. I find they tend to read lower than contour next. I am actually worried by this morning's incident. Up til now the readings have been so far out I could tell but this one was not. I've found the contour strips fine up until recently so I'm worried that I just have a bad batch or there's been a manufacturing change.

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
I'd yellow card this batch as well, just to be on the safe side.

IanD

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Carbohydrates
Is anyone else having these? I had a pot where I got wild readings (2.7 instead of 7.3) and reported it. Ascenscia claimed it was the meter and sent me a new one. I then got 26.7 instead of 10 so reported it to the yellow card scheme as Ascenscia were clearly not interested. I now have another pot showing 1.7 when next reading is 7.2. Has anyone else had this? Is there something I'm doing? Hands are clean and dry when I test.

A year or two ago I had some dud Contour strips - the meter rejected them.
I phoned & they checked the batch number & they said a batch had been wrongly labelled. The chemist I got them from replaced them foc.

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
pasta ice cream and chocolate
Are your test strips the repackaged lot ie not in original box? If so I had this problem and told GP and he put on the prescription to supply in original packaging.

tigger

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
@CarbsRok the outside of the 2nd pot looked normal but the pot had a sticker on so i suspect they're repackaged. They've replaced my single pot with 3 times the quantity so i think they are taking seriously the fact i'm a very worried customer (who can switch strip brands) but if this happens again i think i'll have to switch. They are importing these other ones so are responsible for them.

Good to know i'm not alone.

willow67

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
rude people,nasty habits,people who don't clean up after their dogs !
flies,wasps……the list is endless….oh and being tired…
hi
i have a contour tester and no coding test stripes, was testing again as reading through your post,
i have different readings from both hands :-( 11.1 on the left 11.5 on the right

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
pasta ice cream and chocolate
hi
i have a contour tester and no coding test stripes, was testing again as reading through your post,
i have different readings from both hands :-( 11.1 on the left 11.5 on the right
Those readings I would consider as a normal variation and the actual reading a cause for concern as far to high.