Cooking Apples

heh

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I've got a load of cooking apples, what can I do with them? Any ideas?

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I'd give them away! Apples make me spike! ;)

heh

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I do hate wasting food though

miahara

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Insulin
Cooked with blackberries = 6.4gm/100gm
Cooked with red cabbage = 7.9gm/100gm
Pork and apple casserole = 7.5gm/100gm
Stewed without sugar = 9.7gm/100gm

Source - Composition of Foods Integrated Dataset

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Cooked with blackberries = 6.4gm/100gm
Cooked with red cabbage = 7.9gm/100gm
Pork and apple casserole = 7.5gm/100gm
Stewed without sugar = 9.7gm/100gm

Source - Composition of Foods Integrated Dataset
As you might guess from the taste, Bramley baking apples are less carborific than dessert apples, which come in at 11gm carbs per 100g (whole). I like Bramleys chopped into my porridge before microwaving. They make the texture less gluey and improve the taste. But of course they still have to be deducted from my daily carb allowance, along with the oats. Before diabetes, I used to like unsweetened stewed Bramleys as a sauce for fish or vegetables. They certainly help anything that is a bit dry or boring. I'm glad of the reminder about the traditional marriage of Bramleys and red cabbage, as I have just this evening bought both. I also bought some leeks, and I think leeks with apple sauce could be superb.

I've belatedly realised that red cabbage and apple is traditionally made with vinegar, so, an opportunity to consume some of that pesky cider vinegar?

Last edited:

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
How about peel, core and slicing then freezing on metal trays so you can pack them as separate slices to use in small amounts in various dishes for the rest of the year? Large amounts might be too much - one whole apple could be overdoing it, but adding a little to pork dishes or making a puree as a thickened base for mint sauce or anything you think it might go with could be a good use of them.