Couch to 5K ?

DylansDad

Dislikes
diabetes
Hi all - I've not been around here for ages so apologies if this has been done to death:
I'm 55 T2 and am just completing a couch to 5K program. I'd be interested to hear other peoples experiences particularly with respect of the impact on their 6 monthly hba1c readings.

Also, if I'm self testing, when would be an optimum time to check my levels - presumably before I set off would make sense to make sure I stay upright :) , but how long should I leave it after I get back before testing again ?

Does the body raise your glucose levels during aerobic exercise such as jogging or afterwards to try & recover ?
I recently had hand surgery and gather that glucose levels are raised during healing from that, I wondered if the same is true following exercise ?

Cheers

tubamanandy

Couch to 5K ? Is that a local or national Get Fit programme ?

I think we have something similar in our area which I am hoping to get on soon, cant wait to check my readings before/during/after the programme just to see what weight loss/fitness does to my BG profile

DylansDad

Dislikes
diabetes
Couch to 5K ? Is that a local or national Get Fit programme ?

I think we have something similar in our area which I am hoping to get on soon, cant wait to check my readings before/during/after the programme just to see what weight loss/fitness does to my BG profile

There is an NHS couch to 5K program, however i joined a local running club and followed their plan.

I certainly feel better, but don't have any readings to show any improvement.

seanj67

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I did C25K and felt great for it - I then went on to a "learn to run" course at my local club and loved that too. My readings did improve, but it was coupled with an eating plan too. I find that after any exercise my levels are up - but that's normal as the body releases energy to fuel you. Mine came down again after an hour or so. Sadly I haven't ran for a long time now and the motivation has been parked. I will get back on it though.

KathyCP

Type of diabetes
Type 2
i hate running .... but i have had my levels go up after swimming for about twenty minutes when not having eaten for a few hours beforehand.

RFSMarch

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I have broken down a C25K programmer which I have started back doing ... I have no cartilage left in my knees so I have to build up even more slowly in conjunction with faulty intense rehab and conditioning exercises. I managed to get up to about 17mins and then another round of tournaments meant momentum stalled,

I am now thinking to getting a foldable treadmill for the house to make it easier to get some of these done, levels drop a little (I also do the same on a spin bike which is excellent rehab for the knees) and then build up like that.