1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2017 »
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Could I be LADA?

Discussion in 'Type 1.5/LADA Diabetes' started by Burlsygirl, Aug 24, 2017.

1. Burlsygirl

Burlsygirl Type 2 · Newbie

Diagnosed with type 2 diabetes in Feb after losing over 2 stone in weight (now 9st9) in just a few weeks. Blood sugar 35 when diagnosed and hba1c 123.
    Now on metformin, gliclazide and empagliflozin (sorry about spelling!!)
    Had 'normal' blood readings finally at end of July but tested a couple of times recently when feeling odd and randomly tested around 10 which is too high really!!
    Have added another glic at lunchtime and booked doctors appt but just really wondering if anyone else has experienced this and what the future may hold...!?
    Tried to keep as brief as possible!!

Sent from my HUAWEI VNS-L31 using Diabetes.co.uk Forum mobile app

2. GrantGam

GrantGam Type 1 · Well-Known Member

I find rapid weight loss somewhat of an atypical symptom to what a GP and endocrinologist would normally associate with T2 diabetes.

Request a GAD antibodies test and C-peptide test. They're you're best markers of being T1 or not.

3. Burlsygirl

Burlsygirl Type 2 · Newbie

4. Kristin251

Kristin251 LADA · Well-Known Member

Sudden severe weight loss is a huge indicator for type 1 ( lada).
    Get those tests. You might have to fight. For some reason docs don't like doing them but sudden weight loss mandates them

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. Devitt81

Devitt81 LADA · Newbie

Hi

I went to the drs a couple of months ago due to a sudden weight loss of 3st over 6m. My fasting blood was 17 so i was referred to the clinic as an emergency referral.
    After a month on metformin and gliclozide my bloods are between 4-9 which is great.
    I've had a check up today and the consultant has said that the carried out the above tests when I was there last and it shows I have LADA and it's common for people over 30 to be misdiagnosed with type 2. I've been told
    at some point my tablets will not work well and my glucose levels will shoot back up and at this point i will need insulin.
    My consultant is great and I would definitely ask them to do the tests on you.
    Lisa x

• Like Like x 1
  6. azure

azure Type 1 · Expert

@Devitt81 Your avatar is still showing you as Type 2. You can change that to Type 1/LADA by editing your profile :)

Don't worry if insulin is suggested sooner rather than later. Some studies have shown it can preserve any remsining beta cells for longer and is preferable to other medication.

We have a number of Type 1/LADAs here and a fair number were initially misdiagnosed like you were. It's a pity there's not better awareness that Type 1 can develop at any age.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Daibell

Daibell Type 1.5 · Expert

Hi. Yes, you have a good consultant there so keep hold of him/her. I'm one of those mis-diagnosed and still listed on my notes as T2 but on insulin for 5 years now. Don't worry about insulin as it's easy if a nuisance at times. Yes, don't stay on all the tablets for too long but it sounds like your consultant will swap you when needed.

8. chrisy62

chrisy62 LADA · Newbie

It seems the reason for not testing is that the test cost twice as much as the normal hb1c, and a lot of NICE areas won't pay for them. It took three years for me to be finally tested, and found I was LADA, they changed my meds and now my readings have come back to normal. Still can't loose this final couple of stone I would like too. Doc said it's catch 22 as the insulin fights to keep your weight up, not sure how true this is but I don't let it worry me as long as I feel healthy and results come back ok I'm happy.

9. Ixarix

Ixarix Type 2 · Well-Known Member

This sounds like me too. I experienced rapid weight lose recently. I lost about 30 pounds over about eight months. About two or three weeks ago I'd been to visit my doctor. During this visit he told me I was diabetic and initially we were going to treat it as type 2. But the following day I was feeling really lousy so I went to the hospital and they wounded up keeping me there for a week. My sugars were pretty high, and things were really out of whack. So I was put on an insulin iv, and saline iv to help flush out my system. I'm not sure what tests I was given, but too my good fortune the endocrinologist was working in the critical care unit as the doctor on staff while I was in there. She was able to examine me there, I'll be seeing at the end of the month. Hopefully she'll clarify things. Now I'm currently classed a type one. I'm now on insulin (lentus at night) metforman at meals. I feel much better now and I think I may be gaining some weight back.

10. RFSMarch

RFSMarch Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I lost about a stone and a half in 3 months and after being diagnosed as Type 2 (and specifically asking if I was Type 1) since then things have stabilised well for me. Good that the hospital reacted so quickly to your condition and kept you in for the week, and I think at least moving you to Type 1 and treating with insulin (from what I read anyway) is a step in the right direction if you do turn out to be LADA.

Keep us up to date as to what the review at the end of the month says as it may help others. I suspect as I stabilised, my weight has stayed steady since the diagnosis and that my bloods have come right down with a few tweaks to diet and exercising more, I suspect I was correctly diagnosed as Type 2, but will certainly now keep an eye on my levels, AND my weight and how I feel a lot more.

All the best for your journey.

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook