Could it be Dawn Phenomenon?

Pegi

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
I keep waking early, this morning it was 4.40am, this early waking has been going on for weeks now every night.
I go to bed at 11pm to make sure I get some sleep.
I tested at this early hour and it was 6.4 this morning.
Reading back through the records I'm keeping, early morning tests are all similar, 6.5, 6.2 etc .

I'm as yet undiagnosed as I only had tests last Thursday so results of test and HBA1c not back yet. Does anyone know approx. how long the results of the HBA1c takes in the UK ?

During the day my readings are within acceptable levels according to what I've seen, though I'm no expert on the matter !

No doubt this topic has been discussed before but am a newbie and apologise if there is a thread about it somewhere else on the forum.
Many thanks in advance.

Joe Sweatthang

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Not Paragliding
Those morning readings are OK. Glucose intollerent / pre diabetic. Wish mine where at that level in the morning. (Soon will be) The Blood tests take between 1 & 2 weeks.

DiamondAsh

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Disregard for authority. Noise.
The dawn effect is thought to be triggered by a normal predawn increase in the levels of hormones, particularly human growth hormone, that tell the liver to release glucose. This is the body’s way of making sure it has enough energy to get-up-and-go come the dawn.
If a person does not have enough insulin to counteract these hormones a delicate balance is lost, and blood glucose can be too high by morning.

Eating breakfast helps to normalize blood glucose levels; it signals to the body that it is day and time to rein in the anti-insulin hormones. Hence your normal levels throughout the day.

Yorksman

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Your body regulates many things, temperature, hydration, iron levels, calcium levels etc and of course glucose levels. These processes are colelctively called homeostasis, literally, same state.

As your body requires glucose, there is a mechanism for it to produce its own if you don't eat any. Remember, you can do for b=very many days without food, but you do require glucose every day. They way in which is gets glucose from its own body is called gluconeogenesis, literally glucose new creation.

"Gluconeogenesis (abbreviated GNG) is a metabolic pathway that results in the generation of glucose from non-carbohydrate carbon substrates such as pyruvate, lactate, glycerol, glucogenic amino acids, and fatty acids (both even-chain and odd-chain)."

HBA1c test is quick but is dependent on how many samples they are processing. It also depends on where the blood was collected as a delay is often experienced if it is collected at the surgery. I have been to the hospital, had my blood collected at 11am and had all the results by 4pm but, when GP surgeries get involved, it may take a few days.

Pegi

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Those morning readings are OK. Glucose intollerent / pre diabetic. Wish mine where at that level in the morning. (Soon will be) The Blood tests take between 1 & 2 weeks.

Thanks for your reply.
I don't know if I misread, do you mean I'm glucose intolerant/ prediabetic please ?

Pegi

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Your body regulates many things, temperature, hydration, iron levels, calcium levels etc and of course glucose levels. These processes are colelctively called homeostasis, literally, same state.

As your body requires glucose, there is a mechanism for it to produce its own if you don't eat any. Remember, you can do for b=very many days without food, but you do require glucose every day. They way in which is gets glucose from its own body is called gluconeogenesis, literally glucose new creation.

"Gluconeogenesis (abbreviated GNG) is a metabolic pathway that results in the generation of glucose from non-carbohydrate carbon substrates such as pyruvate, lactate, glycerol, glucogenic amino acids, and fatty acids (both even-chain and odd-chain)."

HBA1c test is quick but is dependent on how many samples they are processing. It also depends on where the blood was collected as a delay is often experienced if it is collected at the surgery. I have been to the hospital, had my blood collected at 11am and had all the results by 4pm but, when GP surgeries get involved, it may take a few days.

Thank you so much for your detailed reply, much appreciated.
I had the tests carried out at home last Thursday morning by the district nurse. I was the first patient. She would then have to get all tests to the local hospital. The results of yours was very quick. Do you think I should phone my Dr's surgery for the results or will they get back to me ? I don't know the procedure and forgot to ask the nurse. The first test a week previously again taken on a Thursday was back by 4.30 the following day. As you mention, it could be they've got lots to process especially on a Thursday- Friday.

Pegi

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
The dawn effect is thought to be triggered by a normal predawn increase in the levels of hormones, particularly human growth hormone, that tell the liver to release glucose. This is the body’s way of making sure it has enough energy to get-up-and-go come the dawn.
If a person does not have enough insulin to counteract these hormones a delicate balance is lost, and blood glucose can be too high by morning.

Eating breakfast helps to normalize blood glucose levels; it signals to the body that it is day and time to rein in the anti-insulin hormones. Hence your normal levels throughout the day.

Thank you so much for your reply, much appreciated.

Pegi

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes

Joe Sweatthang

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Not Paragliding
Yes. 6.5 is knocking on the door of glucose intolerance. But when I was diagnosed as intolerant 4 years ago mine was 7.0 and the nhs did not follow up or monitor me for 4 years which resulted in me not nipping it in the bud when I could and possibly preventing the onset of type2. If your result come back as glucose intolerant , you will have plenty of time to get it under control.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Pegi

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
I think you are on to something there Pegi... It could well be. I would be cautious of those high readings as you are not overweight.

http://www.webmd.com/diabetes/morning-high-blood-sugar-levels

Hmm, I was thinking the same thing, maybe I am overweight though I don't look it, only 5' 4"" and my weight has been constant for years now at 11 - 11 1/2 stones I think I might have lost a bit recently though since I had viral labyrinthitis two weeks before Xmas, haven't weighed myself this year yet but my size 16-18 still fits ! Thank you for your reply.

Pegi

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
I think you are on to something there Pegi... It could well be. I would be cautious of those high readings as you are not overweight.

http://www.webmd.com/diabetes/morning-high-blood-sugar-levels

Hmm, I was thinking the same thing, maybe I am overweight though I don't look it, only 5' 4"" and my weight has been constant for years now at 11 - 11 1/2 stones I think I might have lost a bit recently though since I had viral labyrinthitis two weeks before Xmas, haven't weighed myself this year yet but my size 16-18 still fits ! Thank you for your reply.

mo1905

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rude people !
As Joe says, you're slightly higher than normal but your current levels are not alarming. With a few lifestyle/dietary changes you could quite easily lower these. A reduction in carbs/sugars will certainly help. Any regular exercise you can manage, even a 20min walk, will also help.

Pegi

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Yes. 6.5 is knocking on the door of glucose intolerance. But when I was diagnosed as intolerant 4 years ago mine was 7.0 and the nhs did not follow up or monitor me for 4 years which resulted in me not nipping it in the bud when I could and possibly preventing the onset of type2. If your result come back as glucose intolerant , you will have plenty of time to get it under control.

Hi and thanks again, sorry to hear you went 4 yrs with no follow up. If I'm diagnosed as glucose intolerant does it mean medication or could I control through diet ?

Joe Sweatthang

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Not Paragliding
Hi and thanks again, sorry to hear you went 4 yrs with no follow up. If I'm diagnosed as glucose intolerant does it mean medication or could I control through diet ?
Diet and exercise only. I was diagnosed type 2 with fasting level of 8 and I don't take meds. I've managed to get my fasting to 7.0 through diet and exercise only. I know it's just a matter of a bit more time before I get lower than that.

Pegi

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
As Joe says, you're slightly higher than normal but your current levels are not alarming. With a few lifestyle/dietary changes you could quite easily lower these. A reduction in carbs/sugars will certainly help. Any regular exercise you can manage, even a 20min walk, will also help.

I'm just wondering if this was caused by the virus I had before Xmas , I had viral labyrinthitis,
I lost my balance completely and though I'm getting better, balance is not what it was so exercising becomes very difficult , also I get fatigued easily. I guess I'll have to reduce the carbs / sugars.
Those of you who have been diagnosed, where do you obtain your diet guidance from please ? Does the diabetic nurse give a diet sheet ? Or do you work it all out yourself ? I've become used to eating little and often to prevent feeling that my sugar has dropped even when maybe it hasn't. I'm also dealing with severe agoraphobia for over 20 yrs. which limits my activities.