Course of Action - Lifestyle

Hornet's Nest

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi - my 1st post here, very pleased to have found this group.

I went to my GP a couple of weeks back as I'd been feeling generally unwell (not severe) and had some concerns about my circulation as I often wake up with tingling in my fingers and I've suffered from temple pressure for many years.

She did the bloodwork and when I went back she said I was Vit D deficient and had slightly elevated blood sugars indicating pre-diabetes. I was prescribed the Vit D and told to come back for impaired fasting glucose test which I did last Tue (fasting blood test, glucose drink, another blood test after 2hrs)..

So I phoned in today and the receptionist told me all my bloods are normal and that no other action is needed. Whilst I am relived to a degree I still have the symptoms I went in with but in the meantime have decided to adopt a low sugar diet. I am bot overly heavy and keep reasonably fit cycling every other day for 10miles in the summer - in the winter I am rather lazy.

Is it worth me home testing my blood sugars say once a week and if so should they be 1st thing in the morning?

JuliaAR

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Hi - my 1st post here, very pleased to have found this group.

I went to my GP a couple of weeks back as I'd been feeling generally unwell (not severe) and had some concerns about my circulation as I often wake up with tingling in my fingers and I've suffered from temple pressure for many years.

She did the bloodwork and when I went back she said I was Vit D deficient and had slightly elevated blood sugars indicating pre-diabetes. I was prescribed the Vit D and told to come back for impaired fasting glucose test which I did last Tue (fasting blood test, glucose drink, another blood test after 2hrs)..

So I phoned in today and the receptionist told me all my bloods are normal and that no other action is needed. Whilst I am relived to a degree I still have the symptoms I went in with but in the meantime have decided to adopt a low sugar diet. I am bot overly heavy and keep reasonably fit cycling every other day for 10miles in the summer - in the winter I am rather lazy.

Is it worth me home testing my blood sugars say once a week and if so should they be 1st thing in the morning?
Hi Hornet's Nest, I'm sorry to hear about your tingling fingers etc. Two friends of mine (one diabetic and the other not) have both recently been to see their GPs with similar symptoms of tingling in their limbs and been put on Vitamin B12 which seems to be helping. Perhaps you could discuss this with your doctor and see what he/she thinks. I also think the home testing as described above would set your mind at rest if the results are normal and would give you a heads up if you need to make adjustments. Either way a lower sugar content in your diet is always a good way to go. Good luck.

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cigarette smoking and consumption of alcohol.
Carpal tunnel syndrome (CTS) is a medical condition due to compression of the median nerve as it travels through the wrist at the carpal tunnel. The main symptoms are pain, numbness, and tingling, in the thumb, index finger, middle finger, and the thumb side of the ring fingers. Symptoms typically start gradually and during the night. Pain may extend up the arm. Weak grip strength may occur and after a long period of time the muscles at the base of the thumb may waste away. In more than half of cases both sides are affected.
Consult a Neurologist.