Craving chocolate

Bigbassett_

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Even before diagnosis I was never bothered about chocolate. But right now for about a week it's all I can think about. My bm in mornings is down to average 6 so I'm delighted. I've lost a stone in weight in 6 to 7 weeks since diagnosis. I regularly exercise via cycling running skateboarding.

Now the question. Will it ruin everything if I ate one chocolate bar???

Dabe

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I'm trying one square of 100% cocoa every 3 to 4 days just takes edge off cravings without upping sugars but definitely not to everyone's taste

Reactions: Bigbassett_

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I have one square of Tesco own brand 85% chocolate after dinner most nights. If you’d have said six months ago I’d be enjoying it now I’d have laughed :joyful: My tastes have changed since cutting out all the sugary stuff.

blanc71

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Aldi 85% ,absolutely amazing.
70% would have been something from the devil yuck.NOW 70% seems soooo sweet.
Sainsbury do a 100% bar,I also brought back 99% from France but that tastes like eating charcoal ,vile.

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
It is never just one bar though is it? It can be a slippery slope. The craving drops as your palate changes so try to stay out of temptation's way. As others have said, the chocolate that is about 85%+ is better but it can be hard at first.

Ajax

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Although I occasionally ✻covet✻ chocolate treats ..this isn't followed through by eating the stuff in reality.

I ✻displace✻ my craving for sweets by listening to music ✻rescued✻ from CD bargain bins ..timeless classix.

Mark_1

I have alternatives instead, 85% choc with hazelnuts, peanut butter on livlife toast, high protein low carb bars, puddings, that sort of thing.

Bigbassett_

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I love dark chocolate. So I'll try a little next time.

I managed to resist this time.

David_A_Hughes

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
85% cocoa and above, nibble a small piece, make it last, enjoy every morsel - then try and suppress the feelings of guilt you will no doubt find creeping in the corner of your mind. It won't matter a jot if you keep it to that once every few days or so.

If you really want to test the suggestion about music and chocolate made by Ajax try this;
http://www.thesoundofchocolate.be/

KathyCP

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I managed to resist this time.
emoji41.png

way to go - that's a real achievement, as this former chocaholic knows ....

S

Sean01

Even before diagnosis I was never bothered about chocolate. But right now for about a week it's all I can think about. My bm in mornings is down to average 6 so I'm delighted. I've lost a stone in weight in 6 to 7 weeks since diagnosis. I regularly exercise via cycling running skateboarding.

Now the question. Will it ruin everything if I ate one chocolate bar???
One chocolate bar will not ruin it. The desire to eat another and another will. Slippery slope and all that.
Suggestion: we all have cravings:
The higher the cocoa content, the less butter milk and less harmful a bit of chocolate is. In fact dark and very dark chocolate has a number of benefits - all on the web, easy enough to find.

The advantage of dark chocolate (70% plus, but I regularly go up to 85% or even 90%) is that it tastes disgusting!!!!.

I have the sensation of eating chocolate - it melts in the mouth and there are chocolate tastes and smells but one or two squares is enough. This is not the kind of chocolate where you want to eat a whole bar. It is very bitter.

Also - if you are thinking about chocolate constantly, you need to find other distractions.

Don't ruin it - you are moving in the right direction and with all the cycling running and skateboarding it sounds like you are moving in style. Don't get tripped up on your journey.

Good luck
Sean