Type 2 Cravings

mick180

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi I've been diabetic about 2 years now and never been a crisp or chocolate eater even before I was diabetic but just recently I'm getting cravings for chocolate and crisp and it's not like just 1 pack of crisp or 1 bar of chocolate it's like when I eat a packet or a chocolate bar I want another? Has anyone else experience this? And should I mention to my nurse. Thanks for any advice

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
This is basically 'Carb Addiction'. Some boffins call it 'Sugar Addiction' and say that it is more addictive than heroine. The addiction, whatever you choose to call it, creates the craving and if you think about it we have all become addicts because of the western diet which is very, very high in carbs.

I noticed a decline in cravings after I had been on LCHF for abot 4-6 weeks and since then it has eased a hell of a lot. Don't misunderstand, I would still love to pig out but as I am quite fond of my feet I choose not to give in. Hope this helps.

mick180

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
But why have I craving for this food when before I was diagnosed being diabetic I've never bothered eating this before? I find I'm craving foods high in carbs that I never bothered eating before? I.e. Chocolate, cake, crisp, sweets,? So I still don't understand why I'm wanting to eat this stuff?? I felt Better off before I started medication for diabetes. I'm craving junk food when I never did before I was diagnosed

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
But why have I craving for this food when before I was diagnosed being diabetic I've never bothered eating this before? I find I'm craving foods high in carbs that I never bothered eating before? I.e. Chocolate, cake, crisp, sweets,? So I still don't understand why I'm wanting to eat this stuff?? I felt Better off before I started medication for diabetes. I'm craving junk food when I never did before I was diagnosed

Your addiction is not distinguishing between types of carbs. Carbs that are sweet or savoury, it doesn't matter, your body (brain) is telling you that it wants carbs in the same quantities as before and as you know there are high numbers of carbs in almost all of the western diet. Some people crave fruit when they have not been big fruit lovers for example. You know that junk food is high complex carb and you are trying to avoid it but your body hasn't caught up with you yet.
It will happen but it takes a little while for these cravings to subside. I look upon it as my body trying to trick me back into my old ways.

mick180

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Are you using fake sugars or certain non traditional sugars? For example, agave can do this craving to you big time. Some artificial substitutes do it also.

No I never used to add sugar to foods or drinks before I was diabetic so I don't use sugar substitutes. I've cut carbs out foods I eat but now I want to eat loads of chocolate.

mick180

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Your addiction is not distinguishing between types of carbs. Carbs that are sweet or savoury, it doesn't matter, your body (brain) is telling you that it wants carbs in the same quantities as before and as you know there are high numbers of carbs in almost all of the western diet. Some people crave fruit when they have not been big fruit lovers for example. You know that junk food is high complex carb and you are trying to avoid it but your body hasn't caught up with you yet.
It will happen but it takes a little while for these cravings to subside. I look upon it as my body trying to trick me back into my old ways.

Thanks I think I understand it now. My body craving carbs not as such chocolate but my brain tells me chocolate is full of carbs. Thanks for your reply

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Thanks I think I understand it now. My body craving carbs not as such chocolate but my brain tells me chocolate is full of carbs. Thanks for your reply

Any time.